Quantcast

Viking metal in Hafjell - the 2014 World champs

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Ok, fair enough, but in order for Gwin's fight to be considered similar he'll have to continue chasing it unsuccessfully for at least another decade yet.. Personally I'd doubt very much that Gwin will still even be racing WCs when he gets to the age Peaty was when he finally won world champs.. let's compare our thoughts again in say 2025, eh? ;)
you're looking strictly at time, i'm looking at accomplishments and results as well but i do agree and i'm pretty sure i've said it here before - gwin will only be around a few more years (i say 5 max) and call it a day. trophy trucks do look like fun...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Um... No... being bridesmaid to Nico for all those years was an accomplishment in itself... not to mention all the national and WC wins/podiums in the 17 years until he finally took his champions stripes..
Gwins crazy win streak in such a short period was nuts but it's not really comparable to what Peat has achieved, just as Peat's achievements not really being comparable to Nico's.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Consider as well that Peat (and others) have seen significant transformation in the sport itself - from equipment to training to race formats - and that speaks to a caliber of rider that others will have to spend years to match in terms of legacy.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 6.33.30 PM.png
So I happened to be looking at the new Five Ten Impact VXi's this week as mine are the original 2006 ones and have finally seen their day. Was surprised to see that Hill is still running the heavier version with his colors on it. At least that's what it looked like from all the angles I saw of him at the finish.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
"Neko will quickly become the main guy at TWR, Brook is old news and can't keep the pace."

yeah, remember when I said that?

replay - http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stories/1331674767408/uci-world-championships-hafjell-2014
What the other guy is saying. Brook finish 5th at worlds that is pretty damn good and he has gotten better and better this season after his injury. He is still young and on a great team plus there is plenty of room for two or more good riders on a team as the Syndicate is a good example off.

Still can't get my head around that both Hill and Josh would make mistakes like that but I guess that is worlds racing like when Hill slid out at the last corner some years ago. Worlds is not only about going fast but getting safely across the finish line. The year Hill slid out was also the first win for Gee so he has shown twice to have the composure and speed it takes to win.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Still can't get my head around that both Hill and Josh would make mistakes like that ...
That's the thing, Sam crashed and that sucks, but Josh really seemed to make a mistake. It was like he either spaced out and forgot to not jump the sh1t out of that thing, or adrenaline took over and he thought he could hit 20' to flat without consequences.

I don't mean to sound critical of him, but everybody practiced over that table and everyone scrubbed speed or sucked it up. That race was his to give away to Gee.

edit: those pics of his foot look gnarly. :(

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct

omg that race was insane! ( mobile redbull app worked perfectly! we almost got in 40 different car accidents but it was worth it )

i too am puzzled why josh hucked the hell out of that last jump....totally gutted to see sam hill eat it... and nekos chain lose was historic
i hope there is a dope picture of brooks scrub.. that was soo awesome

fuk the off season and winter :/

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Poor Rat Boy! Foot - Bone injuries are the worst. So many bones in the foot! And you need to walk...I wish him luck in his recovery! If he were a racing horse he'd be going to the glue factory by now...

2nd time now Gee is world champ after Hill's crash while being up at the split - during the worlds That's gotta rattle the dome. Even more than what he got physically in the crash.

Neko! Apparently I need to buy a Trek! ;)

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Thanks to that leatt neck brace, the legendary sam hill lives!
(neck injury, comma...scary).

I predict Gwin will retire without winning the 'one"....very off the pace,

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
View attachment 118471 So I happened to be looking at the new Five Ten Impact VXi's this week as mine are the original 2006 ones and have finally seen their day. Was surprised to see that Hill is still running the heavier version with his colors on it. At least that's what it looked like from all the angles I saw of him at the finish.
On the other hand you notice Brendan are running the new ones.
Some people - like me - hate riding in brand new shoes, particularly Five Tens. Maybe Hill didnt want to get used to new ones during race season?

They always feel alien to me, as if I'm standing on top of a pillow, on top of my pedal. Maybe Hill is the same - maybe he's waiting to for his signature model ... or maybe he just doesn't like the new ones :p

For what it's worth, I'm running the new ones, and they are brilliant. Better than the previous ones in every single way.

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Re Bryceland...

I don't think he didn't "want" to scrub on the last hit, but he was maybe going to fast to initiate the scrubbing motion whilst taking off.

The take off is really short and from looking at the cam footage, he was cooking like crazy before coming in AND he didn't brake. Try to initiate a scrub at that speed... My guess is guys like Jackson, McDonald or Bryn did brake check just a tiny bit before in order to put the tires a bit sideways before taking off. At the speed Bryceland was coming in, it would have been pretty *ucking hard to do the same thing.

Just my thoughts...

And he almost won the damn thing. Imagine the headlines! I have renewed faith in DH with this guy. By far my new favorite rider. His bike handling is another level really. He combines a robotic approach with an all out wild style. This has never been seen before from top riders really.

Last edited:

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
"Or, did he simply put down one of the most impressive DH race runs of all time? We certainly think so."

You don't always need a smiley face to indicate humor and sarcasm. The quoted last line in the story says it all.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
His run looks so effortless - great riding.

Rat boy should have whipped like him over the bridge to slow down that bike in the air. Style point and a world championship as added bonus.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
All this talk of bridge jumps and hucks. Here's a dude who didn't break his foot jumping a bridge in a winning World Champs run:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Crazy race. Totally gutted for Josh. He was on another level his whole run, just unreal. To get that close and miss out, and get hurt in the process, really sucks. Hope he heals up and crushes everything next year.

Anyone have more info on what happened? Looks like his foot slipped out backwards on impact, then smashed into the ground, but it's hard to tell from the few pics I've seen.

And holy crap, Neko!

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
For what it's worth, I'm running the new ones, and they are brilliant. Better than the previous ones in every single way.
How's the sizing on the new ones compared with the old? My Impact SH's are done after this season and I'm trying to avoid ordering two pairs and sending one back.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sam's chainguide... a nod to 2002?!

Sam's run was on another level too... the sequential pictures really show what he was trying to gap... whoa!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
First time I've ever really rooted for Rat this season. Not stoked for the "people's champ" to win, especially with the herculean effort by neko and the rising stars of rat and Brosnon, and the re-rising star of hill keeping things so interesting. Great race regardless though.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think this will be the first I watch over again in it's entirity (at least top 30)- so good!

Also, I woke up at 4am, and watched all 100 something elite men. Turned out to be super entertaining, especially seeing the contrast of the relatively inexperienced to the top WC pros.

Also, the "very nice riding" Borat comment by Warner on the poor Kazakh rider :rofl:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
how is Atherton the "people's champ," or did I read that wrong?

Peoples Champ as in the people are bummed on him? Even the super-biased brit commentators rarely seem enthused by the guy.