Quantcast

Viking metal in Hafjell - the 2014 World champs

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
was sam the one 3 seconds up at split 2? who was that? my mind is fuzzy

ill have to admit.. kinda felt bad for Gee for 3 seconds once bryceland came through the finish line

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And to think he hit another jump immediately after that....BALLS.

He's probably lucky that he didn't damage his other foot at the same time, I'm sure it came close to smacking the ground with no balance on the crank.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And to think he hit another jump immediately after that....BALLS.

He's probably lucky that he didn't damage his other foot at the same time, I'm sure it came close to smacking the ground with no balance on the crank.
hes lucky he didnt damage his balls after that huck to flat

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think he runs them so CRC has a hope of selling the 1,000,000 grey-market G2 Cleansweep rotors in their warehouse.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Is there any technical explanation for Hill on G2 Cleansweep rotors as opposed to a newer gen rotor? Just seemed weird at the WC level to see a couple of generations old parts.
Noise. The G2s are have different resonance properties and are quieter than Avid's other rotors.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
*Gee managed to get away with his semi skin suit for the 2nd time gold , HAHAHA joke,

GT has now 2 + 1 worlds champs DH bike, the LTS (Mike King and Nico) and the Fury,all alu,
+ 1 is the GT zaskar, hardtail (Nico, was it Germany).
it was in the adds, "The Zaskar is the only bike in the world to have won a downhill, XC and Trials Worlds championships".

Fox 40 gold is now 4, Gee (2x) and GM (2x).

Next is the world champs edition bike and fork marketing.

*Huck to flat was accidental or intentional? Overshot it?, Josh intention was to land on the ramp right?.
Light was green as he approached the finish line....

SC V10cF, free ride version to replace the VP free coming soon.....
Want to see that on a red bull rampage contest. It was ages ago since Tyler Klassen used a V10.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For once, I actually felt happy for Gee. He's obviously worked hard, for a very long time, since his last win. Cairns was a bit of a crap shoot so I'm disregarding that result. The field has gotten deep, talented and most of all they all bust their asses training. I think it's nice that the "old dogs" aren't rendered irrelevant by the new up and comers (It's weird to consider Gee an old timer, along with Sam). I eel it's been a super exciting season precisely because there were so many different winners and new faces on the box, making it hard to predict outcomes. At the same time, I'm stoked that the people who have been there for the past few years (Gee, Sam, Greg, and even Gwin) are still pushing the envelope...

I'm super stoked to see what next season brings... It would be cool if every race had a different winner!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Super excited for the next year aswell.
I hope to god nobody trains with the "huck to flat or crash my dirtbike" approach of last years, so we can see every top pro fit and ready for what it looks like awesome (trackwise) season 2015.

Aug 4, 2008
I feel as sorry for Gee as I feel sorry for Sam and Rat.

I mean he deserved to win. But now people are looking at him like he didn't.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I feel as sorry for Gee as I feel sorry for Sam and Rat.

I mean he deserved to win. But now people are looking at him like he didn't.
I'm sure that's one recrimination he wouldn't give a rat's @ss about (pardon the pun). He knows better than almost anyone else the fine line they are flirting with and how to walk it. He knows he came out on the right side of that line, and the others didn't, and that's why he is world champ. what some keyboard deskjockey writes on the internet is, I'm sure, of no consequence to him...

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I agree with that. I hate it when people say I would have won if he didint crash. Gee was the rider who got from the top to the bottom the fastest. He was the rider who pushed that line the furthest but didint cross it. He could have probably gone faster. But he probably would have crashed like the others

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm sure that's one recrimination he wouldn't give a rat's @ss about (pardon the pun). He knows better than almost anyone else the fine line they are flirting with and how to walk it. He knows he came out on the right side of that line, and the others didn't, and that's why he is world champ. what some keyboard deskjockey writes on the internet is, I'm sure, of no consequence to him...
Agreed 100%. Anyone claiming otherwise is a complete moron.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I agree 100%. I'm sure the riders don't care how well liked they are by people or their marketability when it comes to selling bikes. I mean what human being cares if other people like them? And its not like its their job or anything to sell bikes for their company by going fast and making people think they and their bike is cool. I'd say its definitely 100% for sure they he doesn't care about any of that stuff at all. 100% bro. You can't get more not caring then 100% not caring. And that's how much Gee Atherton doesn't care about his job or basic human traits.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I agree 100%. I'm sure the riders don't care how well liked they are by people or their marketability when it comes to selling bikes. I mean what human being cares if other people like them? And its not like its their job or anything to sell bikes for their company by going fast and making people think they and their bike is cool. I'd say its definitely 100% for sure they he doesn't care about any of that stuff at all. 100% bro. You can't get more not caring then 100% not caring. And that's how much Gee Atherton doesn't care about his job or basic human traits.
what the wha?!?!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sorry the internet doesn't transmit sarcasm very well.

I'm sure he gives a shit about the fact that people dont like him or thought he didn't deserve that. Most people care what others think of them to some degree. If you don't you have serious problems. His run was nuts and he managed to keep it together unlike the other riders. It would suck having people belittle you for such a big win with a great run. Hopefully he doesn't follow what the internet has to say about him because that'd be a downer.

Likewise, a rider everybody dislikes and is bummed about winning is less likely to sell bikes then a rider everybody is pumped on. Given that his job is to sell bikes, and the athertons are pretty big on social media/marketing the athertons, I suspect he knows that public image counts.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I agree with that. I hate it when people say I would have won if he didint crash. Gee was the rider who got from the top to the bottom the fastest. He was the rider who pushed that line the furthest but didint cross it. He could have probably gone faster. But he probably would have crashed like the others
This^∞

It's nice that both Hill and Rat were up at the second split (Sam by ~1.5 secs, Rat by ~1.2 secs), but both of them crossed the line of gnar and it cost them. Hell, even Gee got a foot over said line, but was able to save it via dark Romulan powers and ended up on the top step.

On a side note, it seems ill-timed mega-huckz are the bane of the Syndicate with Peaty's Plunge and now the Jump of Jormungandr. Hopefully GM has taken "notice".

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
I bet that Sam Hill sold more bikes for his Champery run than Matti did for his win. Because nobody cares about anything but winning.

Likewise I am certain that Steve Peat and Shaun Palmer sold way more bikes than those asocial french robots.

Because image totally doesn't matter.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
On a side note, it seems ill-timed mega-huckz are the bane of the Syndicate with Peaty's Plunge and now the Jump of Jormungandr. Hopefully GM has taken "notice".
The Terminator is probably the least likely to huck imho. I like Minnaar and wish he'd done better at this race. He's a good contrast to Gee... uber-fit robot type dude, but without the perceived ego issues that cause Gee backlash.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just out of curiosity, why was his run boring to watch, he looked stupid fast and as much on the edge as anybody, with a few near misses and amazing saves. I thought his run was great.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Also Dave Trumps photo of Hill on pinkbike is an absolutely phenomenal photo. Such a fantastic job of capturing the moment of a great run going awry. I think Sven (and some of the other vital photogs are coming along too, although I miss gary) usually dominates pinkbike when it comes to race photo's and telling stories, but that right there is a fvcking incredible shot of being at the right place at the right time and making it happen.

Edit: although, the more I look at this picture, the more happy I am Sam was able to get up after that and not be permanently confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Every angle of that is lined up for about as gnarly a wreck as it gets. Does anybody else think he probably would have been more injured if he was clipped in right there?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The Terminator is probably the least likely to huck imho. I like Minnaar and wish he'd done better at this race. He's a good contrast to Gee... uber-fit robot type dude, but without the perceived ego issues that cause Gee backlash.
Based on his 1st split time (~ 0.8 secs off Gee's time) he was having a good run, but it sounded like he had a slow flat that apparently contributed to his rock garden bobble/profound reflections about life and poor overall result.

I'd also like to express sympathy for our UK brethren given that they don't seem to produce any world class riders. o_O

* Rat
* Geezus
* Simmonds
* Brendog
* Manon
* Seagrave
* Rach
* Peat (who was 7th at the second split btw)
* Hart
* Dale
* Vernon
* Laurie
* and who knows how many Smiths and Joes that I'm forgetting...

and to add injury to insult, RM's very own -seb came over recently for a East Coast Rox tour and donkey punched the locals...those bastards even won the last 2 TDFs...at least their national foot sport team sucks.

Apparently I need to drink moar and incite the wrath of Woo by frequently saying cute British colloquialisms...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Didn't he mess up his shoulder or back or neck or something attempting a backflip on his DH bike while spring training in Portugal a few years ago?! I think he's taken notice... which is why his runs are so smoov.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
No, didn't hurt himself, he just did one and everybody was like "wtf woah"

The dude may be smooth, but his roots are in hucking, thats how he started according to his movie

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Does anybody else think he probably would have been more injured if he was clipped in right there?
And what if he wasn't wearing a neck brace?

That one photo of the full scorpion with the bike riding bareback even looks almost like he's clipped in.