Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unless you get your fun from podium champagne I'd agree.

The less invested I get in racing the less fussed I am about my wheel size.
I bet that at a lot of the local races the fast locals would still be the fast locals even if they were riding 26" bikes. :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I bet that at a lot of the local races the fast locals would still be the fast locals even if they were riding 26" bikes. :D
If you're really bloody good there's a chance you could still smoke everyone on little wheels but it's not a little difference unfortunately. Even 27.5 vs 29er feels unfair when you're swapping between them. Props to anyone rocking 26" successfully even at local events.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you're really bloody good there's a chance you could still smoke everyone on little wheels but it's not a little difference unfortunately. Even 27.5 vs 29er feels unfair when you're swapping between them. Props to anyone rocking 26" successfully even at local events.
Feel =/= times.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Why are you riding a something other than a 26" wheeled DH bike, if it's what you enjoy more?

:confused:

Because finding tires for them is a pain in the ass, these (https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Minion-Dhf-26-3C-DH-Tire-26X25-3C-Maxxgrip-DH-Wire-Bead?loc=usa&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA75itBhA6EiwAkho9ey5ILkb-tPmf3XRf6CwVXGuhSN8r8zaA07CECqHqHWhmLVlDk34qeBoCaycQAvD_BwE) show up in batches of 5-6 every six months and then disappear for another year, and finding a frame that fits that isn't utterly clapped to fuck with the whole "its a 11+ year old bike at this point" is virtually impossible.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Because finding tires for them is a pain in the ass, these (https://www.jensonusa.com/Maxxis-Minion-Dhf-26-3C-DH-Tire-26X25-3C-Maxxgrip-DH-Wire-Bead?loc=usa&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA75itBhA6EiwAkho9ey5ILkb-tPmf3XRf6CwVXGuhSN8r8zaA07CECqHqHWhmLVlDk34qeBoCaycQAvD_BwE) show up in batches of 5-6 every six months and then disappear for another year, and finding a frame that fits that isn't utterly clapped to fuck with the whole "its a 11+ year old bike at this point" is virtually impossible.
man, that's so weird, I remember everyone defending the industry pushing new standards just saying 'you can ride whatever you want'

I can't believe they didn't understand the situation, they seemed so smRt

I'd been hoarding so many dh tires, age and lifespan started to be become a concern

then I had to start doing it with 27.5s....

FTS

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
man, that's so weird, I remember everyone defending the industry pushing new standards just saying 'you can ride whatever you want'

I can't believe they didn't understand the situation, they seemed so smRt

I'd been hoarding so many dh tires, age and lifespan started to be become a concern

then I had to start doing it with 27.5s....

FTS
Yup, last year just tossed a half dozen still good tread 26" tires that were dry-rotting. Probably a couple more this year. Pickings are getting slim in the stash.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yup, last year just tossed a half dozen still good tread 26" tires that were dry-rotting. Probably a couple more this year. Pickings are getting slim in the stash.
none of those dumbfucks saying 'pIcK a wHeElSiZe aNd bE a dIcK aBoUt iT' had the brain cells to rub together enough to know that THIS is what people were pissed about.

It's getting that way with 27.5s now

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Conti said they will also release selected of the new tires in 26".
Just the enduro Krypto for now: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/continental-kryptotal-re-trail-26x2.4-endurance-folding-tire

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
26" DH Maxxis DHFs and DHRIIs are still readily available here. and they're also a good bit cheaper than 29" versions

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well of course they are, you're getting 20" of less tire.
I know you guys struggle with spelling but hadn't realised arithmetic was also a huge challenge.
One other benefit of 26 is that I've NEVER seen a single 26" MAXXIS TYRE warp like the 1000s of 29s and 100s of 27.5s you see with a perfectly useable amount of tread left but wonky or bulging ridiculously.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I know you guys struggle with spelling but hadn't realised arithmetic was also a huge challenge.
One other benefit of 26 is that I've NEVER seen a single 26" MAXXIS TYRE warp like the 1000s of 29s and 100s of 27.5s you see with a perfectly useable amount of tread left but wonky or bulging ridiculously.
There's another solution to that: stop buying Maxxis.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Measure the circumference of a 26” tire. I will wait.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've yet to run 29" Maxxis, but in my times riding 27.5" wheels I amassed enough warped DHR2s, DHFs and HR2 (in EXO, EXO+ and WT variants) to convince me to fully agree with you.

Also can attest Mitas tires are overpriced shit for the same reason.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Schwalbe or Continental both work fine. I've had less hassles with them than with Maxxis offering the past few years
This. Prefer Conti (have run both Enduro and DH casings) for the treads but didn't have any issues with Schwalbe Super Gravity or Super Trail casings.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
This. Prefer Conti (have run both Enduro and DH casings) for the treads but didn't have any issues with Schwalbe Super Gravity or Super Trail casings.
I'm waiting for Conti to release the Super Soft compound tyres in the Enduro casing but will give that a go. The DH casing options weight about the same as Maxxis DD anyway, and have been way more robust for me.

Schwalbe SuperGravity casings have been awesome also.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmmm....The reason I stick with Maxxis meat is because I know it. I know everything about them. So with familiarity, brings trust. Even if I don't really trust them. I'm still familiar with them.

I can tell you who I don't really trust. And if the word Maxxis isn't around, I don't trust them. I've done this for soooooo many years. It's got to that point that yeah, Maxxis or it's shit. At least to me. (If It's not Scottish, it's crap?! SNL Days of past :)

I just find it more manageable, rather than playing roulette every time I go for a fast, techy ride.

My point is, if you found something better? I want to know. But I've tinkered with Conti's, Specialized, Schwalbe's, e13, Mich'ies, all the other brands and I keep going back to Maxxis. Although I have not tried vittoria in a while.

But also, it's like if it ain't broke, why fix it? :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
yet to run 29" Maxxis, but in my times riding 27.5" wheels I amassed enough warped DHR2s, DHFs and HR2 (in EXO, EXO+ and WT variants)
Even seen their DH casings do it in the larger wheelsizes. having a guess you'd think something changed in the construction process but when it's still not a problem even with with their newer 26" treads (ie. DHRII) it does seem puzzling.