Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hmmm....The reason I stick with Maxxis meat is because I know it. I know everything about them. So with familiarity, brings trust. Even if I don't really trust them. I'm still familiar with them.

I can tell you who I don't really trust. And if the word Maxxis isn't around, I don't trust them. I've done this for soooooo many years. It's got to that point that yeah, Maxxis or it's shit. At least to me. (If It's not Scottish, it's crap?! SNL Days of past :)

I just find it more manageable, rather than playing roulette every time I go for a fast, techy ride.

My point is, if you found something better? I want to know. But I've tinkered with Conti's, Specialized, Schwalbe's, e13, Mich'ies, all the other brands and I keep going back to Maxxis. Although I have not tried vittoria in a while.

But also, it's like if it ain't broke, why fix it? :D
There are a lot of good tires out there, and some that just came out that look like they could be good.

Maxxis is still coasting on shit they did eons ago and making garbage for new tires because the smart guy left. I mean their old shit still works but they definitely decided to fuck up the casing realm just because no one can just make a good thing and leave it alone.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But also, it's like if it ain't broke, why fix it? :D
Yeah if you don't have an issue with anything then run what you know works. The Assegai/DHR2 combo would have to be one of the safest and most prolific setups going.

I seem to cut or kill the casings on Maxxis too often though and I have had better luck lately with either Schwalbe or Conti. If you're not murdering the sidewalls on the Maxxis and the price is right then just stick with them.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah if you don't have an issue with anything then run what you know works. The Assegai/DHR2 combo would have to be one of the safest and most prolific setups going.

I seem to cut or kill the casings on Maxxis too often though and I have had better luck lately with either Schwalbe or Conti. If you're not murdering the sidewalls on the Maxxis and the price is right then just stick with them.
Yeah, It's crazy. It would be crazy to get some raw data, like who run what and who got a flat, what kind of trail, and what kind of flat at that? Sidewall? Puncture? Thorn? I am a data nerd, but even then, that data is so subjective...soooo...not so reliable.

For me, all that data is now "by feel". If I really don't want to flat, DH Casing. Done and done. Do I feel like going a little lighter, but want to "feel" like I have protection? DD. Maybe some inserts. If the trail in question has No chance in hell of flatting? EXO (and maybe some rear inserts). See how that goes? And I know this by experience.

But really, today? All my bikes are DH casing, tubeless, no inserts.. Simple, yet effective. Ain't no one got time to mess with that :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
EXO+ front, DD rear with Cushcore works for me so I just keep replacing it with the same when I wear 'em out

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hope it looks like this

his left ass cheek says "sick!" on it

honestly I hope nothing ever looks like that ever again

that flat drop backflip at the beginning was badass

just fyi a lot of that is trying (poorly) to mimic this from years ago (a decade) of 'awesome dude passing through a scene'

of course the mtb version has to cheese it up because stuff. OMIGOD we totally didn't know that guy who's dumb fucking kit matches his bike was going to do that, let's stage some bystander scenes because he totally poached™

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
He got 168m views on his last snow edit.

Some of the freeriders around here only ride bikes and shuttle year round. No sking, snowboarding nor fat bikes. They all make/use these diy spiked tires. Vinny T does a lot of that stuff.

IMG_4842.jpeg

IMG_4839.jpeg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
He got 168m views on his last snow edit.

Some of the freeriders around here only ride bikes and shuttle year round. No sking, snowboarding nor fat bikes. They all make/use these diy spiked tires. Vinny T does a lot of that stuff.

View attachment 206566
View attachment 206567
When I see their tracks in the snow, it makes me cringe, all crooked-ass and rutting up everything. They can be used "sometimes", but in general those times are pretty limited and the rest of the time the are F-ing it up for everyone else.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
We have a trail system that runs on the same land with cross-country ski trails. The mountain bike trail in winter becomes our fat bike trail. We crossed at a 90° with the cross-country ski trail. I rolled one night and heard a woman yell. Those bicycles are just ruining it for us.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The mere sight of a fatbike will have ruined many a nice day out. I'm sure.

PS. Get Ebikes. They're far MOAR fun in snow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't understand the hatred for snowshoes on a skin track, since it doesn't seem to impede my ability to climb said track on skins in any way. The XC skiers are also hyper sensitive and their grooming org has put up all sorts of signs saying you can't walk or ride on their trails...except there is no muni code to that extent, we've looked never found anything. My position is post-holers should go ruin their trails instead of ours. A friend was getting a DH trail set in a few days ago and post-holers totally ruined it, he's giving up on the project.

1705699451858.png

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its a decoy man, the trail is over there!
1705702525751.png

The nordic skiers are a delicate bunch. We've been yelled at and talked to, for crossing over the groomed trails before.

As far as I'm concerned, once the sun goes down, the forest is free game (on public land of course). We've run into a few skiers at night, also with lights, and they've been pretty cool. I think some might have been doing some shrooms a few times, but thats a story for another day.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
We have a trail system that runs on the same land with cross-country ski trails. The mountain bike trail in winter becomes our fat bike trail. We crossed at a 90° with the cross-country ski trail. I rolled one night and heard a woman yell. Those bicycles are just ruining it for us.
Freakin' Karen's bro.

The struggle is real.

What is best tho, when you see a Momma Bear fight a Karen. That's the best. :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmmm…Just spit-ballin’ here, but if someone were to make paint-ball claymores, would there be a market? :eek:
Hmmm...I'm with you. Still spit ballin'. Wouldn't one batch of Karens take down all the claymores? So then what is the replenishment frequency of claymores? And who does it?

I'll do it. And even track what kind of Karen and the best color of paintball claymore is most effective. Footnotes will be included :D