Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I rode the divide bro

the summer before I moved out here. It was the only time in my life I'd have time to do something like that with no job. Back then it was printed maps and we saw like maybe 4 other people doing it.

I drove through rawlins a few years ago and deliberately pulled off on a dirt road that was part of the route.....just an endless parade of rapha spandex, dudes with handlebar mustaches and bagged up fat bikes. So glad I did it when I did.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I rode the divide bro

the summer before I moved out here. It was the only time in my life I'd have time to do something like that with no job. Back then it was printed maps and we saw like maybe 4 other people doing it.

I drove through rawlins a few years ago and deliberately pulled off on a dirt road that was part of the route.....just an endless parade of rapha spandex, dudes with handlebar mustaches and bagged up fat bikes. So glad I did it when I did.
What year woo?

My attempt was 2011, still have the paper maps on the shelf.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mondraker to Boulder, CO.

So many reasons why that is a bad move. Just sayin. I'm predicting they will be broke in 3 years.
Where's their US presence at the moment?

Lots of companies in Golden, not sure how many there are up in Boulder.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
First US HQ. Were they even in shops here previously?

I feel like Mondraker has lost a bit of mystique the last few years, but I’m becoming a fan of euro and canadian bike designers these days. New ideas, pushing the tech forward.

I don't think they have any presence. I always figured they were direct to consumer. Like YT, or even Orbea.

I'm not saying Colorado is a bad place for a bike HQ. But I'd prolly get real estate by Commencal and Yeti in Golden. Home of Coors beer. Ahhh watered down horse piss.... :D

Lots of roadies around there. Not too many sweet trails. If you want to shuttle something you're going down to Golden, anyways. Or up the I-70, So...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

no one in colorado especially should ever forget

boulder, the home of the first self proclaimed international mountainbike advocacy org

number of mtb legal trails in boulder = ?????

welcome to your new shithole mondraker

there's no way in hell they didn't know what they were getting into. They deserve their fate.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo

Yeah, IDK.

I hope someone that actually rides and knows a thing or two about a thing or two, showed them around and helped talk them out this move. Obviously didn't work.

But wait! There's valmont bike park! :D

Hold on. Don't even tell me it was because of Coach Prime. Son of a...

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I don't think they have any presence. I always figured they were direct to consumer. Like YT, or even Orbea.

I'm not saying Colorado is a bad place for a bike HQ. But I'd prolly get real estate by Commencal and Yeti in Golden. Home of Coors beer. Ahhh watered down horse piss.... :D

Lots of roadies around there. Not too many sweet trails. If you want to shuttle something you're going down to Golden, anyways. Or up the I-70, So...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
The Canadian distributor (Stoked Canada) apparently went under and still have their website up, so that doesn't hep the brand very much. I contacted them a few times for other products and they didn't seem to run the tightest ship.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Pretty sure they went slacker and longer than most other designers a decade or more ago.

Zero offset ain’t my bag, but most American brands were pushing long offset forks in those days and generally offering shit geo.

They had mystique? always kinda just seemed like a catalogue brand to me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Pretty sure they went slacker and longer than most other designers a decade or more ago.
they didn't

they just told you they did and people believed them

they had the same geometry as everyone else and just wanted to sell you a stupid stem

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Zero offset ain’t my bag, but most American brands were pushing long offset forks in those days and generally offering shit geo.
Yup, Orbea was the only other brand doing that kind of progressive geometry back in the day. And they weren't as long/low/slack as Mondraker. After they abandoned those stupid zero offset stems (and with the notorious exception of of a couple of generations of 29" Foxys) their offerings were pretty solid in terms of performance and equipment. Maybe a little pricier than other European brands, but boy they are fun and fast AF.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yup, Orbea was the only other brand doing that kind of progressive geometry back in the day.
might want to look up some old bike geos

as much as I fucking hate to say this outloud specialized was making longer, slacker and lower demo 8s years before mondraker wanted to sell you a stupid stem

the turner dhr I had 3 years before mondraker wanted to sell you a stupid stem was a 62 degree headangle and half an inch lower with almost the same wheelbase for a given size

In all fairness though the dhr was supposed to be 63 degrees but it was what it was and we convinced him to keep it :D

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

as much as I fucking hate to say this outloud specialized was making longer, slacker and lower demo 8s years before mondraker wanted to sell you a stupid stem

the turner dhr I had 3 years before mondraker wanted to sell you a stupid stem was a 62 degree headangle and half an inch lower with almost the same wheelbase for a given size

In all fairness though the dhr was supposed to be 63 degrees but it was what it was and we convinced him to keep it :D
Wasn't your DHR drilled? You could also short-shock and set up an 2002 M1 to be low and slack.

In the workshop of the LBS where the local DH folks hung out Saturday after the shop had closed, all bikes coming in were measured and compared. One guy had the 26" Mondraker and it was defintely the slackest of the bunch, Legend was close, all Demos, Scotts, Lapierres were steeper. I always had the steepest HA with 66° on the Socom. :D
That was 2010-11-ish.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The DHR was also very short. I stopped riding mine, as it always felt way too small after riding a trail bike for consecutive days.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You could also short-shock and set up an 2002 M1 to be low and slack.
Was 2001 the 5th element shocked wavy monocoque front end one?
And was it the 1999-2002 M1 that had the three rear shock mount positions? Wasn't the low mount pretty slack and low (BB)
I remember a coupla friends who had M1s around then saying they thought they were too low/slack in that position.

and @kidwoo weren't those first Mondraker forward geo frames just an inch longer in the top/down tubes per size? I remember riding someone's and hating it but can't remember exactly what it was about them I disliked so much. I still rode DJ and loved a shorter bike even for DH at the time. (kinda still do)

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Might as well do it yourself. Nothing came close to what Mondraker did back in the early Barel and Cesar Rojo days, when they adopted the Zero suspension system.

Just remember to convert from millimeters to libraries of Congress when comparing the US made bikes of yore to their yuropian siblings.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
BUT this "analog" bullshit just irritates me like the word moist, spicy, and mumble rap...
I'm with you on all the bullshit bingo overused cliche'd zero original thoughts of their own mountainbike lingo and phrases. But hadn't even realised the word "moist" had gotten in there. I refuse to believe a single one of these cycle dweebs has ever made a woman moist.

Last edited: