Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's an obligation in motor vehicles, at least in the US, to provide parts for X number of years after initial sale. Something like 15 years or 20 years? At which point you're screwed.

Still basically an order of magnitude longer than some mountain bikes.
I’m not sure it’s even that long.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Do you know how many loyal customers the industry lost? If not for Covid they would be in deep shit right now. Most of my friends seriously into riding bikes do not like where the industry is heading and only reluctantly buy new bikes if their old ones get too clapped out. However, previously they would buy the high end models, now they buy the cheapest or second cheapest option and upgrade some of the essential parts "because the standards will change anyway". Others, myself included, only have bough used mountain bikes in the last years.
So from a business point of view, Covid and ebikes keep the industry booming while they lose the core customers that supported them for years. Let us see how this will pan out once all these new folks find the next cool sport/activity to try.
I’m getting to this point, quick. I keep seeing this sport move more and more gear centric and less focus on the actual experience.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Not everybody is obes..ahem, I mean muscular, so give me options. It is the same BS that a 150 cm rider has to buy a 29er these days just to get a modern bike. What we lost is diversity and options in the bike industry. In the old days there were plenty of hardcore frames and components while at the same time there were weight weenie options. Certain brands marketed directly towards the different groups of customers. These days I could not point out a brand that has a weight weenie or super durable/overbuild image, it is all the same. No character, the "looks like a Session" saying has a reason, don't you think? And it is not only limited to looks.

Now you do not have cracked frames anymore, but imagine how great the old days of fully rigid bikes were. No riding time wasted servicing suspension, disc brakes, dropper posts. Can I recommend a brakeless BMX to you, I heard they are super durable? ;)
I think there are more options and diversity than ever in the bike world, for example
I've never seen a rider on a BMC that doesn't wear spandex, never seen a BMC in a Bike park, so I think they would qualify as a weight weenie brand?
On the other end of the overbuilt/ bulletproof spectrum you have brands like Commencal, Privateer, Raaw, GG etc. Probably won't see much Lycra or leg shaving in those pits at the races?
Plus you have 27.5. 29, mullet wheelsizes to choose from, plus Dirt jumpers/slopestyle in 26, fatbike, plus bike, gravel, road.
Not to mention hi pivot options on every category of bike except cross country race bikes.
And yes frames still break in 2021, literally all the time, some brands more than others, if you make it you can bet somebody will break it.
Most bikes look nothing like a Session.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Should the rules be different for shitty riders?
Nah the rules should be the same. I meant who the fuck cares enough about their results in 50+ Amateur to cheat with expensive drugs.

What an absolute bell end. I hope anyone he beat get to punch him in the balls. And anyone who beat him is laughing their asses off at a dude who cheated and was still mediocre.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Nah the rules should be the same. I meant who the fuck cares enough about their results in 50+ Amateur to cheat with expensive drugs.

What an absolute bell end. I hope anyone he beat get to punch him in the balls. And anyone who beat him is laughing their asses off at a dude who cheated and was still mediocre.

Oh yea, piece of shit for sure. I know a guy who I am 99% sure used to cheat for local amateur level XC endurance races. He was a narcissistic dumpster fire.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh yea, piece of shit for sure. I know a guy who I am 99% sure used to cheat for local amateur level XC endurance races. He was a narcissistic dumpster fire.
One dude got busted course cutting at one of our local XC races. Wasn't even in Elite, was like Expert or something. What a flog.

I've heard from a shop owner that at one of our state enduros, 6 people got disqualified in the e-bike class for running de-restricted or modified bikes.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I heard from roadies in So Cal there's lot's of anti-aging clinics that will prescribe all the stuff your body makes less of as you age. Lots of amateur masters racers there get popped for doping but are just like, "Oh well, guess I can't race anymore but no way am I giving up these meds that make me look and feel better."

Last night my girlfriend and I were discussing the possible future of women's sports in light of the current trend of allowing transgenders to compete. Maybe age class amateur competitions will also have to assess how to handle a new group of athletes who's lifestyle conforms with society's rules but provides a significant advantage over their "peers".

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Last night my girlfriend and I were discussing the possible future of women's sports in light of the current trend of allowing transgenders to compete. Maybe age class amateur competitions will also have to assess how to handle a new group of athletes who's lifestyle conforms with society's rules but provides a significant advantage over their "peers".
don‘t let that hear the woke police, ThAt‘s HaTe SpEeCh!!!!!!111111