Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah, I considered the replicas for the reasons you mention (there's even a guy here in Argentina building decent ones if you supply the engine and transmission), but the original ones have that extra "aura"... Though I still think a Cobra with modern guts, manual transmission and actual brakes would be da shizzz. No body modifications for me, thank you very much.

That is what I want eventually. Still that same violent, I am gonna fucking die feel without the $1 million dollar costs. They have BMW M5 suspension front and rear along wit their rear axle is IRS and their brakes. The base one is 500HP and at 2100LBS will still be very fast. $90K is a good amount of money but I would drive the shit out of it. They stretched the frame by 1 foot and widened the car by about 6" so it is way more planted.

I hadn't realized how affordable Go Crats are. You can get a 250-350CC for about $14K? Tell me those going 140MPH 4" off the ground wouldn't scare you to death......

That is what I want eventually. Still that same violent, I am gonna fucking die feel without the $1 million dollar costs. They have BMW M5 suspension front and rear along wit their rear axle is IRS and their brakes. The base one is 500HP and at 2100LBS will still be very fast. $90K is a good amount of money but I would drive the shit out of it. They stretched the frame by 1 foot and widened the car by about 6" so it is way more planted.

I hadn't realized how affordable Go Crats are. You can get a 250-350CC for about $14K? Tell me those going 140MPH 4" off the ground wouldn't scare you to death......
So not a Cobra.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So not a Cobra.
Even if I won $100 Million in a lottery there is no way I am dumping $3-5 million on a Cobra. A car that flexes on the gas, can't stop for its life and is sketchy to keep between the paint. No matter how Iconic it is I would much rather have the updated ultra stiff mandrel-bent tube frame with M5 suspension, brakes and altered geometry. The Cobra is like a Stumpjumper from 20 years ago vs say a Geometron now. That extra foot doesn't sound like much but apparently, it helps the handling dramatically. Also, BIKES cost too much........

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
He is a Porsche owner, so :fancy:

But it sounds like his concern is just the pain in the ass of dealing with something that falls apart when you take the wheel off. Whether that's trail side, packing it away for a trip or general maintenance. We all know what happens with that type of thing, it falls off and goes rolling into the nearest crack in the ground, never to be seen again.

That would majorly suck trailside or on a trip, getting your destination and having a useless wheel because one little spacer got lost or something.
Exactly! Of course those spacers work I just don't prefer them, I have used them in situations though.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Who was the company out of SO Cal in the late 90s and 2000s that used to make rear triangles for a number of frames to adjust geo and add floating brake mounts? I almost feel with all the engineers attempting to keep their jobs in the bike industry and making a new hub standard every 2 years this could be useful to many people. Especially if it was modular and had some adjustability built into it....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Who was the company out of SO Cal in the late 90s and 2000s that used to make rear triangles for a number of frames to adjust geo and add floating brake mounts? I almost feel with all the engineers attempting to keep their jobs in the bike industry and making a new hub standard every 2 years this could be useful to many people. Especially if it was modular and had some adjustability built into it....
Brake Therapy?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
No shit? Yeah, that may have been them. They did an actual frame at one point, right? They also offered the Long Travel kit for FSR Elites and the like.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
No shit? Yeah, that may have been them. They did an actual frame at one point, right? They also offered the Long Travel kit for FSR Elites and the like.
And threw some tantrums here :D You'll find it.
Brian has gone M.I.A. since. He showed up on the Mullet Bikes shit show over at vital though. Was a fun character immo.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Started servicing the girlfriend's Fox 36 last night. It has both metric and imperial fasteners on it. Ugh. :wtf:
Try opening an original Marzocchi product (shocks, forks). As it happens with a lot of Italian manufacturing, they seemed to grab whatever they had on hand, so you have metric and Imperial threads, bolts, o-rings... The Wecheco lathes even vary the threading back and forth from imperial to metric from one generation to the next one for a lot of axles/bolts/nuts/bearings!!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Try opening an original Marzocchi product (shocks, forks). As it happens with a lot of Italian manufacturing, they seemed to grab whatever they had on hand, so you have metric and Imperial threads, bolts, o-rings... The Wecheco lathes even vary the threading back and forth from imperial to metric from one generation to the next one for a lot of axles/bolts/nuts/bearings!!!
That is BOLLOCKS

I've had a few Fox forks in the past and don't remember this being a problem.

And another thing, I have a 32mm tool for the top caps from the lovely people at https://www.lunarbikes.com/tools.htm.

My DVO Diamond also has ""32mm"" top caps as stated in the service manual, but the damn wrench doesn't fit. But this wasn't an issue, as they were barely beyond finger tight. :banghead:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Curious, what fastener on a 36 is imperial?
The only "fasteners" on those are the top caps, bottom nuts and brake line holder. I've only ever used metric tools on any of them. The tiny screw on the brake line holder is an obscure size 2.5mm IIRC.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Curious, what fastener on a 36 is imperial?
The set screw on the rebound knob is imperial.

I mean its not a huge deal, but it was a little frustrating when looking for the correct hex key. Reminded of this for whatever reason hah:

Its a simple enough procedure, but there also doesn't seem to be a PDF or anything for seal/lower servicing on Fox's service website, only a video. What happened to proper instructions, where it defines at the top which tools you'll need and then clearly laid out steps? /complaint

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That feeling when you came to complain about Fox and it was metric all along... :busted:

It "could" be some kind of anomaly, but I've never had a problem removing knobs on a 36 with metric tools.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Love those lunar wrenches... I have 4.
I have found that on my 36 the wrench only works on one side. There must be some cant to it as it fits flush on one side but not the other

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The piston head bolt on the Fox fork carts is imperial. All the damper rebuild instructions are imperial and the HSR preload nut on the new X2 is imperial. Imperial on the inside and metric on the outside actually.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
BETD?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, I guess you assume something new every damn day!

By "you" I assume you mean everyone else because well, uh, if there are 365 days in a year and you are 40+, that would mean you know more than14,600 things. Just not sure that has been demonstrated.
:D

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Well dang, I stand corrected. Funny how I've been able to service my fork without using an imperial wrench. I guess I'm the hack. :cheers:
Yeah I've definitely used a metric hex key for that exact bolt. Its tiny, like a 1.5 or 1.0mm