Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I know a few people that have used them, and also a few people who have been caught out with having the short valve tube that won't reach all the way through a deeper carbon rim.
My wife bought one and carries it when racing but hasn't had to use it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Exactly. I carry one on longer rides where there's actual rocks 'n' stuff, but never use it. I figure if I'm going to carry around a placebo tube, it may as well be as light as possible.
I'll put a valve stem in a condom and sell it to you for more than the price of both.

....you know, if it helps

I'm kind of the opposite mindset. If I'm throwing a tube in a tire I'm already having a bad day, sweating over a stupid handpump, spitting mosquitos out, covered in jizz...

I just want things to be guaranteed reliable from that point forward, so I use a real tube.

Last edited:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hah, I just bought a set of those for $5 because someone linked me to Aliexpress rather than the $30 reseller.

I'm gonna use them to ride my rigid bike to work.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
uhm, you can ride the same pedals with sneakers? why the extra?

Riding on my Times without biking shoes sucks, especially if I'm not wearing sneakers or boots but a slicker-soled shoe. I don't see why this is a bad idea. Makes the mountain bike into an easy commuter in like 2 seconds.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Riding on my Times without biking shoes sucks, especially if I'm not wearing sneakers or boots but a slicker-soled shoe. I don't see why this is a bad idea. Makes the mountain bike into an easy commuter in like 2 seconds.
my gravel bike is fitted by a bikefitter. these pedalthingis would change the whole fit by being higher than normal. you would need to change the seat height and bar height too.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Part (most?) of why I switched to flats, including on my roadie.
I put Wellgo Mg1s on my dad's roadie, I doubt he could be trusted in disco slippers and clips.
One of his rides was 20 miles and 10 mid strength beers at the half way point, I think he was 70 when he did that. On his social rides he rides 1mph over the speed that the mopeds' motors stop assisting, hahaha!
So glad I talked him in to buying a bike a few years ago, he's changed for the better.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
To underail the thread, have you guys noticed there aren't any decent clipless shoes under $80 anymore? Back when I started riding my MTB that was kind of the lower price boundary for high end ones. $80 get you low end, flexible shoes nowadays.

It might be just a couple of pizzas for you landofthefreedumers, but in a third world country $80 buy you something like 20 pizzas.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I used to buy cheap shoes. Now I've had the same pair of Sidis for like 12 years. I had to replace a ratchet buckle which was just a couple bucks.

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
To underail the thread, have you guys noticed there aren't any decent clipless shoes under $80 anymore? Back when I started riding my MTB that was kind of the lower price boundary for high end ones. $80 get you low end, flexible shoes nowadays.

It might be just a couple of pizzas for you landofthefreedumers, but in a third world country $80 buy you something like 20 pizzas.
colleague just bought some s-phyre clones on alibaba for 20$

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How's that any different than the other roadie slippers y'all wear?
The Pearl Izumi carbon XC shoe (Project X) has some rubber under the mid-sole for unclipped riding and the Boa on the tongue cuz when it's on the side it has a tendency to get smashed by rocks, sometimes riding sometimes walking. It's very light and probably half the price.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i don't recall ever seeing decent, good quality spd shoes at or below that price point. there may have been a few, but they would always be past season closeouts, or SPD sandals.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You can get Shimano shoes for under $130 Canadian Pesos.

Its not $80, but this is 2-3 decades later and the shoes are probably better.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Giro Privateer Lace can be had on offer for around 80€ around these parts. If you want Boa and velcro straps, you need to spend 100-120 for the Cyclinder model.
Also some lower end Shimano models can be had for that amount if on sale.