Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
now that's an novel location. curious what the impact failure mode is; tool gets broken off, or gets punched through the downtube? not a bad looking bike, otherwise (apart from teh small wheels). i'd *totally* go for the $12kUSD livevalve option.

*edit* damn, you can bolt shit all over the DT:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That tool thing I'm pretty sure it rotated 90 degrees in that picture, but yeah what a totally weird spot to keep something important. It will 100% either bend to shit or damage the frame, get knocked off or covered in dog and horse shit.

And yeah that is quite misleading calling it an "XT" build. And that build is a $7100 CDN bike...fuck. For that price you think they'd at least toss in a fully sealed headset; whatever their 'semi-sealed' thing is? For another $1300 you get the Fox suspension and the actual XT build kit.

But I do like the looks of the frame. :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh, here's a great one. We put 30mm spindle Next R cranks on our BB92 frames intended for 24mm because fuck you.

I mean, the Next R is just a little bit removed from 100% beanpole XC, it's not SixC or anywhere near what a coil endupo bike should have, but the real issue is the spindle size, unless RF has gone with Dub and I didn't catch it. For pivot to make all the hype about their BB92 and how it is an improvement and then go and handicap it by not even using the fucking cranks it was intended to use is ridiculous. This is partially why I only buy frames, but Pivot is making it real hard to like...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does that end up with those tiny little bearings?

:banghead: :nope::butcher:
They were one of the manufacturers that designed BB92 with Shimano.

Then crank manufactures other than shimano came out with lighter cranks, so they said "well screw that, we'll cram these tiny bearings in there!".

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If it was a box of dental floss, that would be funny.

Seems like it would get smashed by rocks and roots the way it is.

Are bikes so good that we have to differentiate the market with motors and doo-hickys?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So does it take the place of a water bottle? Regardless, I guess you only ride it with spandex or some type of pantaloons without pockets.
good point. it does look like you can still get a bottle in there, based on this.
Now you can store your mini CO2 tanks to your exposed BB area, then when you smash a rock, you don't crack your tool case, you explode like teh shark in Jaws.
1607604863263.png

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You know what's wrong with the industry???... young people.

I go to my LBS to see about DH rims (their site says they have some options in stock but I've learned their system is about as reliable as the vote counting system in 'merica). Talk to the dudes that work there now and realised they've all grown up riding 'enduro' bikes with air suspension. When I asked for rims for a 'downhill bike', the sales guy brings me Race Face Arc 30 rims. Not the HD version...the normal ones. He said they've last well on his SC Nomad and he looks like he weights 150lbs vs my 218lbs. I'm 0 and 10 with that damn shop.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I go to my LBS to see about DH rims (their site says they have some options in stock but I've learned their system is about as reliable as the vote counting system in 'merica). Talk to the dudes that work there now and realised they've all grown up riding 'enduro' bikes with air suspension. When I asked for rims for a 'downhill bike', the sales guy brings me Race Face Arc 30 rims. Not the HD version...the normal ones. He said they've last well on his SC Nomad and he looks like he weights 150lbs vs my 218lbs. I'm 0 and 10 with that damn shop.
not just kids, people new to riding. there's dudes my age that wonder why they're trashing their mid travel bikes on their first trip to a bike park.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The closest shop to me that carries Mountain bikes stocks Maxxis tires only in hard compounds. Trails here are wet More than 9 months of the year.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Customers knowing more about the products than the people working at the lbs is nothing new.

It was already the case when there was only a handful of standards and pretty much everything was cross-compatible. They have stopped trying a long time ago...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Customers knowing more about the products than the people working at the lbs is nothing new.

It was already the case when there was only a handful of standards and pretty much everything was cross-compatible. They have stopped trying a long time ago...
i will say this about my LBS... their service area is very well equipped. i was not expecting any shop locally to have a seal press for a fox 40, but sure enough. they did it on a busy saturday afternoon for me even, which earned them a 6'er.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
When they attempt to sell you whatever floor stock items or bikes they have, rather than order in the specific item you asked for after researching said component/bike for many hours online.

"Look I know you said you wanted the DH bike, but a lot of our customers have been really happy with this model over here" *points to last years stock of recumbants*

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When they attempt to sell you whatever floor stock items or bikes they have, rather than order in the specific item you asked for after researching said component/bike for many hours online.

"Look I know you said you wanted the DH bike, but a lot of our customers have been really happy with this model over here" *points to last years stock of recumbants*

When I get asked "can I help you?". I typically respond with "probably not"

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The closest shop to me that carries Mountain bikes stocks Maxxis tires only in hard compounds. Trails here are wet More than 9 months of the year.
Not to defend that, but availability from Maxxis fucking sucks right now. It's entirely possible that they just can't get their hands on the better stuff.

Are you looking for 27.5 tires by any chance? I've got a mountain of them that I'm unlikely to ever use, happy to lob a care package onto your porch from the street.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Not to defend that, but availability from Maxxis fucking sucks right now. It's entirely possible that they just can't get their hands on the better stuff.

Are you looking for 27.5 tires by any chance? I've got a mountain of them that I'm unlikely to ever use, happy to lob a care package onto your porch from the street.

I was referring to when I was looking for tires this time last year. I have plenty of rear appropriate tires. My Maxxgrip Assegai should last me through the winter when I will replace it with your recommended Magic Mary.