Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dirty Dan is the best tire I've ever tried for winter around here. Stupid good in wet loamy soil while still working on roots and a bit of hardpack. It's definitely a wet/soft condition tire in general though.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Not to defend that, but availability from Maxxis fucking sucks right now. It's entirely possible that they just can't get their hands on the better stuff.

Are you looking for 27.5 tires by any chance? I've got a mountain of them that I'm unlikely to ever use, happy to lob a care package onto your porch from the street.
oooooh - whatcha got? anything in doubledown? dhf/dhr/assguy?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Can we talk about skiing here? Or is that bad?

CNN: Covid has shuttered the ski season in the Alps -- with one exception.

I mean, we all know France surrenders first and all ;) ..but last season North America resorts followed EU in their decsion to close down early.

For me that means Vail Resorts. And i gotta say the "reservation system" kinda sucks...

Point being...is the ski season over already? At least from a resort perspective...back wood terrain would seem to be the go to during this shit times...but not really an option for my family...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Our resort, the Portes du Soleil is a grouping of connected resorts in Switzerland and France. Champery is opening today and Châtel can‘t open until mid January, I think.... If they don’t get to open for Christmas it’s around 30% of their annual income they loose out on... The mayor of Châtel put up Swiss flags all over the village last week.

There was talk of shuttle busses from Châtel to Champery for French skiers to come over and ski here. I didn’t follow if they went through with it. It’s a health/wealth or wealth/health flip of the coin every month. Pretty stoked to ride some powder today and there are plenty of options to avoid trams and gondolas. Other resorts have gondola and tram bottlenecks. I don’t really feel like getting sardined.

@kidwoo - Friends who should be quarantined but go ski touring is a thing here too now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I mean, we all know France surrenders first and all ;) ..but last season North America resorts followed EU in their decsion to close down early.
And then somewhere thereabouts we finally grounded the 737 Max.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@kidwoo - Friends who should be quarantined but go ski touring is a thing here too now.
You and I Both know know that's not going to spread covid. But you and I can pretty much walk out of our houses and go do that, and there's no lodge based apres time, or lodging involved.

The problem is that fools from Monaco, San Francisco and London don't get that its everything that goes along with them thinking they're doing the same thing that is the problem. Rich twats who chose monied careers and amenities in cities don't get to treat rural access like it's theirs now. We chose access over money, now they want both. We don't need to travel and stress infrastructure to do that. Realizing that takes some self awareness however.....and if 2020 has shown anything, western civilization ain't too good at that.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
You and I Both know know that's not going to spread covid. But you and I can pretty much walk out of our houses and go do that, and there's no lodge based apres time, or lodging involved.

The problem is that fools from Monaco, San Francisco and London don't get that its everything that goes along with them thinking they're doing the same thing that is the problem. Rich twats who chose monied careers and amenities in cities don't get to treat rural access like it's theirs now. We chose access over money, now they want both. We don't need to travel and stress infrastructure to do that. Realizing that takes some self awareness however.....and if 2020 has shown anything, western civilization ain't too good at that.
Yeah..... I give up... fuck it.
It’s like when I couldn’t handle stuff 24 years ago so I went and lived in the bush in AK for a year and a half, but ima pussy and it was too hard so now I dabble my pinky toe in the real world one day a week and then go back to the mountains to hideout.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah..... I give up... fuck it.
It’s like when I couldn’t handle stuff 24 years ago so I went and lived in the bush in AK for a year and a half, but ima pussy and it was too hard so now I dabble my pinky toe in the real world one day a week and then go back to the mountains to hideout.
Stay sane this winter. 2020 has shown a little of how ugly and selfish people really are.

At least you have a mad scientist shop to make up wierd shit to play with. :D

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Stay sane this winter. 2020 has shown a little of how ugly and selfish people really are.

At least you have a mad scientist shop to make up wierd shit to play with. :D
I'm going insane enough that I decided making myself a ski boot press was a good idea. My feet are pretty fucked up, but the ROI here is... probably going to be really bad.

I'm having fun though.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm going insane enough that I decided making myself a ski boot press was a good idea. My feet are pretty fucked up, but the ROI here is... probably going to be really bad.

I'm having fun though.
Sounds like a great idea! Like to make your own boot shells? injection molding at home? sweet!

@kidwoo I've been to over 20 Grateful Dead shows before I was 20. Nickleback was never really on the radar. Widespread Panic was my Nickleback. I really tried to like it...

a friend played this for me yesterday and I liked it. Pissed with hands in pockets!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sounds like a great idea! Like to make your own boot shells? injection molding at home? sweet!
Ha, no not nearly that involved. It's a press for doing boot fitting work. It's for punching out shells to make more room in specific spots.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
@kidwoo I've been to over 20 Grateful Dead shows before I was 20. Nickleback was never really on the radar. Widespread Panic was my Nickleback. I really tried to like it...
Went to 3 dead shows in the Bay Area. One of them we stayed in the parking lot. In all honesty that was better than being inside the show. That was The Cow Palace in 1994 I believe...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
[Cool story bro warning]

I had a ticket for what ended up being the final Grateful Dead show in Chicago in the mid90s. I gave it away to a buddy so he could invite a girl. I didn't like the Dead just wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

A few weeks later I'm interviewing for a job with Washburn guitars and news of Garcia's passing comes across the wire. The Director interviewing me freaked out, was a huge dead fan, and almost in tears. I told him about me giving away my ticket and not liking them. The interview was over.

Buddy is still married to that girl.

[This completes today's cool story bro]

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'm going to leave now
I’m a hippie what can I say? My tie dye shirts have come back around though, haha.

Sleaford mods are awesome.
Give IDLES a listen too @buckoW

Both bands styles are more than a little reminiscent of The Fall, Frank Sidebottom and John Cooper in my eyes (ears) ;)
Nice! Thanks Gary.

Went to 3 dead shows in the Bay Area. One of them we stayed in the parking lot. In all honesty that was better than being inside the show. That was The Cow Palace in 1994 I believe...
Yeah, i did that too a few timesand it was a lot of fun! We would go backpacking, mountain biking and drive around from AZ to AK catching concerts all over. First in VW busses then in Toyota trucks. I was really good at getting Giardia back then.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
[Cool story bro warning]

I had a ticket for what ended up being the final Grateful Dead show in Chicago in the mid90s. I gave it away to a buddy so he could invite a girl. I didn't like the Dead just wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

A few weeks later I'm interviewing for a job with Washburn guitars and news of Garcia's passing comes across the wire. The Director interviewing me freaked out, was a huge dead fan, and almost in tears. I told him about me giving away my ticket and not liking them. The interview was over.

Buddy is still married to that girl.

[This completes today's cool story bro]
pssh, figures

Richenbacher is where taste lives.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
One of the most painful moments of my life - threw an outdoor campout renegade rave, got busted, most of the crowd left, our crew plus some stragglers partied on. There were two stereos going, one playing Phish, the other playing terrible jungle (which is almost all jungle in my book), and I was trashed to the point where standing up wasn't an option. It was like being locked in Johnny Got His Gun style.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Haha! @kidwoo who’s the guy in the second pic? I listen to Jimi on a daily basis in between old Black Sabbath weeks.
I been listen to Merle Haggard on repeat for about 6 months now too. The bottle let me down is a good one. What does that get me?

Greateful Dead before 1970 is more bluesy with Pigpen singing. I like lots of music before 1975.
Just to be sure w’re talking about the same thing. This is the era I like from the Dead.... not like it matters but hey!

@jstuhlman I thought I liked Phish when they first started and I even went to a show or two at Nectars in Vermont but then I couldn’t for the life of me find any songs I actually liked to listen to.... It was very strange. Must have been the mush.... Widespread always sucked to my ears but everyone I knew or lived with listened to it. That’s why I said it was my Nickleback. I just couldn’t get away from it.

It’s been interesting living in Switzerland and hearing songs like « you can’t make a hoe a housewife« and other gems in the lobby at the doctors office, work, etc.... It’s funny hearing such profanity everywhere but it’s not in a language people understand so it’s just music.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
your man from widepread panic
Haha! My bro.

Haha.... Hey, I keep trying to communicate that in my hippie world Widespread is equal to your Nickleback. I see you as a 90’s Mountain Dew X kinda guy haha where Nickleback might have been as present and appreciated as my Widespread. Honestly, that whole part of my world died when I moved here in 2001. I had a backpack and a bike box so sadly I had to leave all my bootleg tapes at my Mom’s house.

I jokingly called my roommates Widespreaders in college because of all the humping and patchouli.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have some friends who are really into Phish and have been to several shows. I enjoyed all of them, but the root cause had less to do with the music than what was consumed in the parking lot. Never listened to them outside of a show.

Considering those friends it makes sense that they were attracted to Phish shows. They are the most poorly behaved individuals I have ever hung out with and someone would kick the shit out of them if they weren't surrounded by a bunch of docile hippies. I may have occasionally contributed to such behavior.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have some friends who are really into Phish and have been to several shows. I enjoyed all of them, but the root cause had less to do with the music than what was consumed in the parking lot. Never listened to them outside of a show.

Considering those friends it makes sense that they were attracted to Phish shows. They are the most poorly behaved individuals I have ever hung out with and someone would kick the shit out of them if they weren't surrounded by a bunch of docile hippies. I may have occasionally contributed to such behavior.
haha, those were fun times! Sounds very similar to my experiences. I still enjoy behaving poorly though. Keeps me giggling like a kid. I’m sure I have a bunch of Phish recordings somewhere. My Mom moved here for retirement and brought me all my old shit like tennis rackets, 25 year old hockey gear and my Phish tapes, haha.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Widespread is equal to ..... Nickleback.
I agree completely. There is no 'my' in nickleback. That shit sucks just as bad as noodly nowhere nursery rhymes that hippie jam bands made careers out of just because an audience never got further than "baked is the point, maaannn". Nickleback is just the drunk frat boy version of bad.

I see you as a 90’s Mountain Dew X kinda guy haha .

*sigh*

There was another 90s ya know..........

A 90's we could be proud of 30 years later.......

A 90's that tapped into youthful coming of age but is not a source of embarrassment in adulthood.....

A 90's that was awesome, and not fed to you by either fat hippy noodly leftovers or overtly misogynistic date rapers to be, propped up by the same people that brought you poison and winger....

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I agree completely. There is no 'my' in nickleback. That shit sucks just as bad as noodly nowhere nursery rhymes that hippie jam bands made careers out of. Nickleback is just the drunk frat boy version of bad.

*sigh*

There was another 90s ya know..........

A 90's we could be proud of 30 years later.......

A 90's that tapped into youthful coming of age but is not a source of embarrassment in adulthood.....

Dood, I know. I was just playing. You sure no Mountain Dew?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I ingested everything under the sun, in mass quantities and it never made that shit sound any better.

"I like my friends and the MDMA and scrooms we ate, but what's that annoying shit in the background?"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ingested everything under the sun, in mass quantities and it never made that shit sound any better.

"I like my friends and the MDMA and scrooms we ate, but what's that annoying shit in the background?"
Never touched the MDMA, nor did I ever wear neon fishnets and suck on a pacifier, perhaps that is the difference.