Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kidwoo should start his own tire company, seems to have it all figured out.
I've had probably half a dozen people approach me over the years about this. Then they see the price of initial molds. Only one of them tried to get money together.

It's not worth it. People still buy stupid tires because they're new. We'd never make our money back. Michelin finally makes a good tire, all their own riders use it because it's the best one they make, and then they discontinue it. The wall of stupidity is too high a hurdle.

Plus, I honestly don't need to. There are good tires out there. People get all bitchy when I just bring up the shitty ones and take it personally or something.

There's a reason some tires like the dhf have existed for going on two decades. I had nothing to do with that. But you'll also notice the things I talk about that make a good tire, all the most long-lasting, most popular tires exhibit. I didn't just start making shit up, I started paying attention to what makes a good or bad tire when I moved to the shittiest dirt in the world.

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I’d ride that Marz over a Nevegal.

Weren’t those made by Maxxis?
They were Nokian, and honestly not as bad as they look. Got a set for something like $15 or $20 at Interbike and while definitely not a Minion, back in 2005 they were one of the better tires available. Keep in mind, not many tires worth a shit were available in 2005, so it was a very low bar.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks guys! I think y’all should come check out Morgins, Chatel and Champery next summer. That will make the industry a better place and we can talk shit on the lifts and over beers after riding. Enduro bikes and riders are also welcome!

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks guys! I think y’all should come check out Morgins, Chatel and Champery next summer. That will make the industry a better place and we can talk shit on the lifts and over beers after riding. Enduro bikes and riders are also welcome!
Hoy @buckoW, maybe you can help me out with bike set-up too like you did with Paul. My hardtail, it suffers from brake jack. What can I do about it oh wise one? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Watching his helmet cam makes me frustrated. I'm practically yelling at the screen "let off the brakes!" "set up wide!". I guess this is relatable for weekend warriors though.
ok it wasn't just me. but still, that was rad as hell. kudos to him for riding such a difficult track. and more than once.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Can you shoot at fanny packs from the lift at any one, or all of those resorts?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Watching his helmet cam makes me frustrated. I'm practically yelling at the screen "let off the brakes!" "set up wide!". I guess this is relatable for weekend warriors though.
Agreed. Couldn't watch it to the end. I know it's steep. I've ridden Les Gets* a few times, and I know this is steeper. But that was painful to watch. How does he have a youtube channel?! and having a youtube channel, you have to assume he rides a lot. how have his skills not progressed to where he should be able to ride that much more confidently?! Maybe he's just a really nice guy and people can relate to him...

*I even rode Les Gets in the conditions Ben described as "rain over hardpack that turns the top layer to ice." had to walk some stuff for sure.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Agreed. Couldn't watch it to the end. I know it's steep. I've ridden Les Gets* a few times, and I know this is steeper. But that was painful to watch. How does he have a youtube channel?! and having a youtube channel, you have to assume he rides a lot. how have his skills not progressed to where he should be able to ride that much more confidently?! Maybe he's just a really nice guy and people can relate to him...

*I even rode Les Gets in the conditions Ben described as "rain over hardpack that turns the top layer to ice." had to walk some stuff for sure.
I looked at his channel because I was wondering how he got sponsored by Scott. He says in a video that he did some media work before including stuff for pinkbike (e.g. the privateer).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I don't own one, I've just heard the bike is super linear and tends to ride very deep in the travel. In other words, not really the best candidate for a coil, unless something in the frame design has been tweaked.

I'd think only if you set your sag to 40%. Who does that?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I don't own one, I've just heard the bike is super linear and tends to ride very deep in the travel. In other words, not really the best candidate for a coil, unless something in the frame design has been tweaked.
Oh I don't know about the super linear part. Suspension geeks, speak up!

Regardless, wouldn't running the correct spring rate (be it air or coil) allow for proper sag?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I shouldn’t have used the word sag.. should have just said they ride low / linear or w/e.

Oh I don't know about the super linear part. Suspension geeks, speak up!

Regardless, wouldn't running the correct spring rate (be it air or coil) allow for proper sag?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, they're pretty linear. And it doesn't appear that they've changed the frame, just the shock spec.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
It's surprisingly linear (so is the much loved GG megasmashdawgthing) so don't be looking for much bottom out support on that coil.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nowadays, coil shocks can be fixed with some of the following: specific valving, specific bottom out bumper, hydraulic bottom out or progressive springs to compensate for the lack of progression in the linkage... seems like a band aid solution for a poorly designed frame to me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nowadays, coil shocks can be fixed with some of the following: specific valving, specific bottom out bumper, hydraulic bottom out or progressive springs to compensate for the lack of progression in the linkage... seems like a band aid solution for a poorly designed frame to me.
SPV! Linkages are now obsolete!

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Poorly deisgned frame that won pinkbike's bike of the year and vital's shreddy of the year....