Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Maybe he's just a really nice guy and people can relate to him...
Except when he's doing the BC Bike Race and screaming track at riders and telling them to "get outta my way" and "pull over now" when they're still 40 metres in front of him....

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm not saying the Patrol is poorly designed. I do believe it was designed with an air shock in mind.

Air shocks are super uncool now, because all the pros run PUSH coils. :happydance:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are you serious? I rode the harder ones as a front tire.

I couldn't even pedal out of the parking lot with the soft ones. Bike just stuck there.
Yeah, totally. I've got two of the soft ones in my basement right now. They're clearly harder than even a MaxxTerra 3C. Both finger squish and actual ASTM Shore A durometer tester, which I have because nerd.

Either mine are super fucked somehow, or you got your hands on some crazy team only special stickiness or something.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Your world is not in my universe. I can't relate to the things you're saying at all.

Besides the bite test, you did ride them right? And you know that gum-X is the hard one and magi-X is the soft one?
Their naming convention is as useful as their website

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just went and chewed on them again, because you made me feel like I was smoking crack.

But yeah. Magi-X WR2s. They're unquestionably the two hardest tires in my pile of about 20.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I'm with HAB here, while I like them for dry rocky stuff they are horrible on wet roots, soil/loam and rocks. Defo harder than Maxxterra and the orange and purple Schwalbe stuff.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It must have changed then. Love the tread pattern, but the rubber on the ones I have isn't great.

That tire but sticky would be spectacular.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It would be completely expected, ya know? "Yeah - this stuff is still called MagiX compound, but is *completely* different than the previous MagiX." :rolleyes:
If I have learned something from playing uncountable hours of AD&D is that magic isn't an exact science. So I guess a certain amount of variability within the rubber compound is expectable.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
the bike is super linear and tends to ride very deep in the travel.
Wait, these traits are opposite in my experience. Linear bikes ride higher in the travel except when encountering hard hits. Progressive bikes ride lower in the travel because the early part is softer. That's why my XC bike is linear and my enduro bike is progressive.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wait, these traits are opposite in my experience. Linear bikes ride higher in the travel except when encountering hard hits. Progressive bikes ride lower in the travel because the early part is softer. That's why my XC bike is linear and my enduro bike is progressive.
The transition paradox: the linear bike that sinks in its travel, fully active braking that stiffens for turns, slack angles that climb, externally mounted internal cables, linkage design, but single pivot shock.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'll let someone who knows suspension design and the #s on this frame to speak up if they want.

I'm using layman's terms to describe a bike that has a reputation for using a lot of travel and bottoming pretty easily, even with an air shock.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
This new item (higher priced version) implies that Gum X RockR2 may now be available.

Or it could also be just a fucked up product listing.

CRC has the normal version of this tire too for $50.

It would be completely expected, ya know? "Yeah - this stuff is still called MagiX compound, but is *completely* different than the previous MagiX." :rolleyes: