Quantcast

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Dave are you trying to make my point for me? That is why i posted that pic. The cable ties wouldnt be on there if they didnt have a problem keeping them tight or from falling out. The problem obviously existed then pre production of any bikes you say?

Is this something that was known about? I think it probably was but **** it i can let them off for the way my bike rides :). Every time im out i hit a section a little faster or get a way with going a little too big of something and every runs a big smile on my face when i get to the bottom.
Those cable ties were in there as a worst case scenario, ie "we don't have any spare parts for this bike at the first world cup, we cant afford to have anything break of go missing." If it has threads, it can and will manage to come loose at the most inopportune time. Better to spend 2 cents on prevention than run the risk of sitting out. I've seen mechanics of the wc circuit safety wire bolts in place. Why? because they can, and wont have to worry about some random act of bad luck ruining their day.

you won't find a picture of team bikes with zip ties after that race. I have one of probably the first 10 bikes shipped. No problems all year.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
you just posted photos from he South Africa WC that was in early April 2009... before any bikes were produced and sold, and before spare parts were readily available for anyone including the team. Guess what... those are test bike.

Dave are you trying to make my point for me? That is why i posted that pic. The cable ties wouldnt be on there if they didnt have a problem keeping them tight or from falling out. The problem obviously existed then pre production of any bikes you say?

Is this something that was known about? I think it probably was but **** it i can let them off for the way my bike rides :). Every time im out i hit a section a little faster or get a way with going a little too big of something and every runs a big smile on my face when i get to the bottom.
where/when has Evil claimed that they did not have issues with test bikes like the ones you posted pics of?

if there was an issue don't you think they made efforts to sort it out? you posted pics of pre production frames, hardware, etc. that was made to sort out tolerances. you will never know what issues they did/didnt have.

bottom line is they got it sorted for production and the issue that did happen to people where a small percentage and traced back to some small parts that that had came out of the factory with some QC issues.

my point is that using pics of prototype equipment to justify a company selling something sub par because the same issue happened to a small number of production bikes is crap.

basically your tone is saying "they new it all along and tried to fool everyone"... that's Bull ****.

I feel like you guys all get a kick out of trying to knock every manufacturer and every component down a notch for anything and everything. every post on this forum is full of this crap.... it's like you all believe there is some giant conspiracy in the bike industry that is out to screw the consumer.

like someone else stated... take up darts, but don't cry when you miss the board and bend from hitting the floor.

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Before I ordered my frame I've read quite a lot of stuff over the Internet about this new arrived frame on the market, found that I like how it looks design/mechanical and art wise, then I started to hear all sort of rumors about frames braking, the back throwing you over the bike in certain circumstances, broken links, nasty and expensive service and all sorts of downsides to buying this frame. Overall the good and bad turned up pretty well, from my pov, so I decided to order one.
I think it was a good decision, even tho I must admit about being a bit nervous about sht going wrong because its not in my budget to afford getting a new frame or very expensive repairs over the season.
I am by far no pro, just started getting into the whole freeride/downhill scene, I am on the heavy side and lack the skill to ride nice and smooth.

That being said, we all had to deal with all sort of CS over the years and I think Evil's is one of the best I've seen so far, especially here CS is crap so I hope for the best, even tho I'm not quite sure, if there's any problem, how quick parts will get to me and where they'll come from :)

Impatiently waiting through lovely summer 30dgr C weather for my frame :D

Cheers!

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Well, I was suspecting my trip to Leogang was busted, I'm bummed, was planning to go for a few days riding at Semmering then go watch the WC but I don't think my frame will arrive in time...

Bjarte

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Before I ordered my frame I've read quite a lot of stuff over the Internet about this new arrived frame on the market, found that I like how it looks design/mechanical and art wise, then I started to hear all sort of rumors about frames braking, the back throwing you over the bike in certain circumstances, broken links, nasty and expensive service and all sorts of downsides to buying this frame. Overall the good and bad turned up pretty well, from my pov, so I decided to order one.
I think it was a good decision, even tho I must admit about being a bit nervous about sht going wrong because its not in my budget to afford getting a new frame or very expensive repairs over the season.
I am by far no pro, just started getting into the whole freeride/downhill scene, I am on the heavy side and lack the skill to ride nice and smooth.

That being said, we all had to deal with all sort of CS over the years and I think Evil's is one of the best I've seen so far,

Cheers!
Agree!

I`ve come to pretty much the same conclusion.
- The most important thing is how the bike rides (doh).

- CS is important, but not crucial (to the point that there actually IS CS.)

- delayed delivery can be worked with, but what really annoys me is that they`ve only postponed it a couple of weeks each time, making it impossible to plan. When I ordered the bike, I was told 1-15.feb. I then sold my bike with "delivery" 15.apr - two months after expected delivery of the new one.
around april 1st our agent told me that due to overwhelming demand from the u.s market, they would only be able to ship framesets this year.
Got a bit annoyed by this point, and ordered a build kit, calming my self with the fact that it got more "tailor-made" this way, and that the frames yet again were "due to ship in the next two weeks" now I sit with a bulid kit and no frame.
then it started with mails from Gabe that S, M and L are ready, we could have sent these but we are waiting for the XL to ship them all together, or Black and White is ready, waiting for Yellow... M,L,XL ready, waiting for S. yellow and black is ready...etc..
Last three weeks i was told next tuesday every week.
Then this qc "bomb"

I CANNOT believe that someone could have this lack of control over the manufacturing process. I would assume that someone has more than bended the truth regarding the delays.

This, along with the seemingly higher amount of revisions puts a big dent my impression of their overall quality.

We, the consumers, is of course a big part of these issues with our demands for the lightest, best performing, most durable and failproof designs all in the same package for our freeriding/ weekend warrior amateur racing career needs. And we want it yesterday. Manufacturers go out on a limb to supply these needs, and is prone to fail sometimes.

Bottom line: Still want it, still waiting in line, pros overweigh the cons, but my faith is weakening, but i beg them for more info/estimates that is more than loosely based on reality.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I CANNOT believe that someone could have this lack of control over the manufacturing process. I would assume that someone has more than bended the truth regarding the delays.

This, along with the seemingly higher amount of revisions puts a big dent my impression of their overall quality.
first part.... you obviously don't have too much insight into the manufacturing process. No one has bent the truth in regard to the delays. The bikes were on schedule to be delivered late April/early May. some events at the factory BEYOND EVILS CONTROL have led to delays. the factory promises Evil a date, Evil relays that to you... Factory screws that up gives another date, Evil relays that to you. No one is bending the truth here.

second part... if adding a small amount of material to one pivot and making 4 bolts out of a different material is amounts to "high amount of revisions" that questions "overall quality" I am not sure you would be happy buying any bike out there from one version to the next by any manufacturer.

I understand people are irritable that there are delays, but be aware Gab and Kevin are working insanely hard to resolve issues at the factory and get everything shipped as soon as possible.

let's try not to let frustrations turn into bashing a product and the people behind it, and questioning every detail like there is some greater conspiracy against you.

Last edited:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
To date the updates that I can think of are updated hardware, additional gusste added to the seat tube/top tube junction, and now an additional reinforcement to the main pivot area on the down tube. Maybe I've missed something but that seems pretty good to me. The additional gusset was added between the first production build (what I'd really call a volume validation build at my job) and the second build. I think only 50 bikes made it to customers without that piece. The hardware is an easy update. I haven't seen the reinforcement to the down tube yet so I don't have a comment on what the change is.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Having been on both sides of this conundrum, I can definitely relate to the frustration from all sides. It's tough as a manufacturer when a vendor/subcontractor lets you down, and it's equally frustrating as a consumer when the manufacturer leaves you feeling like you've been strung along.

The only advice I can offer to EVERYONE involved is to vote with your wallet. For the customers, this means that if you truly find these delays unacceptable, buy another frame. True there are no 'perfect' replacements to the unique bike that DW helped design and Kevin, Gabe, etc. are working hard to get to you, but there are tons of other bikes out there that will give you just as much riding pleasure (probably more in the long run, considering you may be missing out on riding right now due to the delay).

For the Evil guys, do the same. I'm not sure which factory has put you in such a bind, but there are others out there who will probably be psyched to try to earn your business. It's always painful and time-consuming to make those kinds of switches, but it'll probably pay off in happier customers/stronger sales in the long run.

Just a bummer all the way around, and I send out positive vibes to you all that this gets sorted quickly.

--JP

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
GeneralLee the points you made about the cable ties on steves bike are spot on, i would totally agree with what you said. I was looking at it from another angle you shown be a better way to look at situation.

Davetrump -where/when has Evil claimed that they did not have issues with test bikes like the ones you posted pics of?
I never said they didnt.

if there was an issue don't you think they made efforts to sort it out? you posted pics of pre production frames, hardware, etc. that was made to sort out tolerances. you will never know what issues they did/didnt have.

Yea they have sorted it out for next gen frames i said this last page.

bottom line is they got it sorted for production and the issue that did happen to people where a small percentage and traced back to some small parts that that had came out of the factory with some QC issues.

Ok maybe the people i know whos bolts failed are an exception and they were just unlucky/bad batch. I can only go on what i know for sure, i wasnt listening to e speculation or storeys of people i didnt know.

basically your tone is saying "they new it all along and tried to fool everyone"... that's Bull ****.

Im saying that i find it hard to believe these chip bolts only started coming loose and failing once the production bikes went out. However i could very well be wrong and it just needed the number of riders and the riding hours put into the bikes before it became apparant they needed a rethink.

Bjarte

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Latest update:

Its seems as though we have got somewhere.

I hope to hear overnight tonight on the details on what will be ready to ship on Monday.

Once I hear this we can lock down payment and make goods ship.

Please expect a reply in the next 24-48 hours.

Looks like we are ready though.,

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Put my bicycle together, rode it 4 times or so. Once on some high speed shuttle trails. I love it. I can't put in to words how it rides. Thanks for letting me vent on here and for anyone in the same position; is all I can say is you won't be mad for waiting. The frame is freaking beefy, the same build on my V10 weighed in at 35.7 and this thing tips the scales at 38.4 its a non-issue though. Heres a poopy picture from my camera phone.

-edit- The seat angle has changed to a more forum appropriate racer tilt by the time you read this. Also if anyone doesn't already know, so far the Point One Racing component line has been flawless for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
I was planning a trip to Leogang WC and then some riding after there and at Semmering but I'm not sure that will be possible anymore. Btw, could you post a pic with the frame updates everyone was going on about?

Also, is that a Gamut P40 I see on the bike? If so, how's it working out for you?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I was planning a trip to Leogang WC and then some riding after there and at Semmering but I'm not sure that will be possible anymore. Btw, could you post a pic with the frame updates everyone was going on about?

Also, is that a Gamut P40 I see on the bike? If so, how's it working out for you?
It's a P30 actually; is a Gamut guide a problem?.It works flawlessly, I had to grind one of the nuts flat on the otherside but more for peace of mind than anything. I ride for Gamut.:thumb:

I have to go to work right now but I am riding with a friend after work that has a first gen frame so I will take a camera and try to get some comparison shots.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Put my bicycle together, rode it 4 times or so. Once on some high speed shuttle trails. I love it. I can't put in to words how it rides. Thanks for letting me vent on here and for anyone in the same position; is all I can say is you won't be mad for waiting. The frame is freaking beefy, the same build on my V10 weighed in at 35.7 and this thing tips the scales at 38.4 its a non-issue though. Heres a poopy picture from my camera phone.

-edit- The seat angle has changed to a more forum appropriate racer tilt by the time you read this. Also if anyone doesn't already know, so far the Point One Racing component line has been flawless for me.
Looks great! Can't wait to blind people with mine... If I crack 40 lbs, I'll be surprised...

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
You mean the 2010 completes, prolly after first batch of pre-ordered frames are delivered they are gonna start building the completes.

Any updates on the frames, its monday already, its been close to 72 hours since the last update...

Jan 25, 2010
Ontario
Hey Everyone!

My new ride came the other day! Cant wait to take her out for a run...it has been really crapy weather since I got it.....:mad:

Be patient everyone they are coming!!! I ordered mine in the beginning of January but it is all worth it!

Pete

Last edited:

Glisseur

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Åre, Sweden
Latest update on (at least Euro orders) is, you guessed it: maybe this week!

"From speaking with our factories in Taiwan, we are looking as though some product will be ready to ship this week. I am still waiting for a final confirmation from Taiwan that I hope to hear soon."

Sorry, but this is getting ridiculous. Even more so considering I ordered my frame early November.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
never took mine out but im tearing the frame totally down this week so I might be here soon
there was a bunch of dirt in mine and some metal flakes that scored my sleeve when i originally rotated it.
i threw a very light coat of grease on it and pushed it back in place.its much easier to turn now if i wanted to go steeper.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
back on about the green highlighter yellow ones. So I take it they made it to production? Any idea who to buy one from in a large?

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
are you stressing out that much??
just order a new frame already if you are that pissed.
i bet you call them everyday busting their balls about where your frame is huh?
I'm not much for nagging and the only time I mailed Evil was to ask about team replica decals, all the info I got was from this topic and I have been brewing inside and waiting for the frame while awsome riding days, couple of trips and some plans went down the drain, other than that another week's pass and it looks like I wont have a bike for a national race that's happening on the 27'th so... thats just about 2 months of delay from the "latest" ETA for the frame, back to my corner to do more waiting noaw... :cray:

Oh, and I don't want another frame, got a good deal on the Revolt and I really like it, also its already payed for.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
OK, its stupid question time.....
My riding buddy with a revolt is complaining he keeps hitting his pedals on stuff, I convinced him he didn't need a stiffer spring, he needs to flip his flip chips. Today he tells me he cant figure out how. Before I go and try and figure it out for myself is there anything I need to know? My guess is that as no one has posted this question before the process must be fairly simple, just figured I should ask before I have to work on someone elses bike wth them watching over my shoulder. Is there an exploded diagram of the links anywhere? I seem to remember seeing a rendered one before the bike was released but cant find it now.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
I have to go to work right now but I am riding with a friend after work that has a first gen frame so I will take a camera and try to get some comparison shots.
Still waiting on those pics btw ;)

Any news at all on the frames, there's been a while since anything that resembles a shipping date was posted... Missed 2 events and I have another one planned in 2 weeks so would like to have an idea when/if the frame is arriving until then :rolleyes:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
OK guys – my apologies for the absence, but I’m back (again – long story).
I’ll answer all your questions starting with this page:

BikeFan84: I spoke with Gabe last week and INDEED the “Glow-Stick” fluorescent yellow frames are slated for production in 2010.

Victor: frames should be rolling off the line soon – I’ll ask Gabe what the timeline is for the shipment of the next production run.

Weedkilla: The Revolt is meant to be a race machine, so this means it has a low BB to aid in cornering and provide a low C.O.G. When the Sunday first came out, a lot of people had to make some adjustments in their riding style to adapt to the new set-up. I came off a first gen. Demo 8 moving to a Saunday and was bashing the pedals on it like everyone else. But like that "Spider Sense" you get for derailleur clearance, after a while I got my groove on with my new low BB. The most profound difference I ever felt in handling and geo. was when I swapped bikes with my buddy who had a VP-Free. Going from my Sunday to the VP-Free felt like going from a Ferrari to a monster truck. Two totally different bikes – each amazing in their own right, but designed with two completely different goals. One was meant to be a Freeride rig and the other a pure DH race machine – and the geo. demonstrated this.

I’m telling you that so I can tell you this: Like the Sunday, The Revolt will take some getting used to if you are coming off a FR oriented bike or one that has a tall BB, but once you and your rig “become acquainted” – like anything else, it will feel like an extension of your own body.

To try and troubleshoot - What sag is your buddy getting from his shock? He should be riding at around 30 to 35% sag. This translates into around 1 inch of travel when static. In other words, when sitting on the bike – the eye to eye length should measure 8.5” (30%) to 8.6” (35%). If he is running more than an inch (30%) of sag – this is too much. Also – how many turns of pre-load is he running, and how much HSC is he running on the shock? LSC? Bottom Out? Air pressure in the resi? If the settings for these shock functions are incorrect for the rider weight - all of these things will leave the bike riding too low in its travel.

To adjust the Flip Chips – simply remove the rear shock eyelet bolt and the mini-link bolts, pull out the Flip Chips and rotate both to either the “Steep” or “Slack” setting.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks SKC, got to my mates medium Revolt tonight. It was really interesting....
He's been on the bike for nearly 6 months so he is as used too it as he's going to get and just cant deal with the low ride height, he came off a glory so we just kept telling him that he should get used too it.
Thought I'd take the first few steps to find out where the bike was sitting... He'd re-installed a 400lb spring in his attempts to get the ride height up (despite agreeing that it was compromising the way the rear suspension was working) and he was only running 7/8" sag, the headtube was in the steep position and the flip chips in the slack position. I grabbed the tape measure and the angle finder, 62degree HA, 46.4" wheelbase and 13.25" BB! Flipped the chips and 63deg HA, 13.75" BB and 46" WB, with everything set up steep! Seems he got the Schladming special! He's got a 350lb spring on order as it just doesn't work with a 400lb (fairly obviously) and with a 300lb it rides too low.
With a bit of luck we'll have him setup and flying soon, I feel a bit guilty for not butting in and looking at it sooner, but I always seem to be playing with bikes and he's a real "just ride it" kind of guy, so I let him go.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
If I'd swapped the headset adjuster around to slack it would have been at 61deg too! This is with a 40 with 208mm exposed stanchion, so not too high on the front. Everything has production variances, I seem to recall a glory thread where the new glory had nearly 2 deree HA variation as someone walked around there shop with an angle finder. Just made me realise you always need to check! I have an Iron Horse Azure that is 1degree steeper than listed....

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
woooohooooo so how do I get one? How much do I need to put down? And damn I just got a brand new TOTEM 2step mission dh blah blah blah.