Quantcast

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
From the 2 glow-stick yellow i've seen it looks like they come (as being said in this topic already) at least with the new steel bolts for the linkage. No idea about other mods tho, maybe someone closer to Evil could share a few updates for the new batch of frames, if any?

Btw, just got a email from Gabe saying "We are going to be producing some of the wrap decal kits for sale but don't have a delivery on this." - prolly similar to the DH teams logo's.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
From the 2 glow-stick yellow i've seen it looks like they come (as being said in this topic already) at least with the new steel bolts for the linkage. No idea about other mods tho, maybe someone closer to Evil could share a few updates for the new batch of frames, if any?

Btw, just got a email from Gabe saying "We are going to be producing some of the wrap decal kits for sale but don't have a delivery on this." - prolly similar to the DH teams logo's.
The new ones come with Steel torx bolts with C-clips, updated bushings, and wider "dogbone" links for increased durability. The new set up is much more burly than the previous edition.

-KT

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The new ones come with Steel torx bolts with C-clips, updated bushings, and wider "dogbone" links for increased durability. The new set up is much more burly than the previous edition.

-KT
yeah, i forgot about the 1-piece bushings too. i wish i had known about the updated dogbone links too. thankfully i have a extra set of the stock ones but i really dont think its a issue with mine.

Glisseur

Chimp
Jan 16, 2009
Åre, Sweden
Answering my own question here. According to Evil there's one minor mod to the -10 frame, apart from updated hardware:
"The only change which is fixed to the frame is that we added (2) gusset plates to the downtube. This helps with some force distribution in this area."

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
I figure its to prevent damage to the downtube like on the 2009 Session 88 where the downtube was very thin and any hit would bend it.
I wonder what the weight difference between the 2009 and the 2010 models is, I'll get mine on the scale when I get it and see :D

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
Is any one of you guys in the 5'8-5'10 area height wise? If so are you on a small or medium frame? I am starting to have buyers remorse regarding the medium frame I ordered, I have always ridden mediums in the past but the tt of the Revolt is about .4" longer than anything I have ridden in the past (trail bikes aside). I usually prefer bikes I can move around on without feeling like I am riding off the back a lot of the time. What do you guys think? Should I cancel it and hope that a small comes in in the future. Or build it first ride it and go from there? There is a few changes I can make to have the bike fit better (shorter stem, etc.) but I am afraid of it feeling too long. Thanks in advance.
it's all about personal preference. i am 176 cm and ride a Large. i had a medium 2009 Demo before and it was longer than my Revolt.
stick to the medium Revolt dude. it's all about the reach measurement not the TT.

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Btw, I just saw a Commencal Mini DH and it had a VTT of ~580mm much longer than a Session 88 M size sitting next to it, and when you climb on it its much smaller (the Commencal that is) so I would say try it out first, see if it fits after :)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I figure its to prevent damage to the downtube like on the 2009 Session 88 where the downtube was very thin and any hit would bend it.
that isnt really a issue. ive taken some pretty serious rock hits on the DT and its been great....some small dents and a small knick into the metal and its been fine...nothing like ive seen on the Sessions.
a gusset isnt really for rock protection typically. its usually to reinforce a joint

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
that isnt really a issue. ive taken some pretty serious rock hits on the DT and its been great....some small dents and a small knick into the metal and its been fine...nothing like ive seen on the Sessions.
a gusset isnt really for rock protection typically. its usually to reinforce a joint
just a little more metal around the the downtube pivot... just to be safe, nothing revolutionary

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's pretty annoying they're still making revisions on a production frame that costs $3k...might be re-thinking this.

Another thing - can anyone get through at Evil?? Calling doesn't seem to work.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
That's pretty annoying they're still making revisions on a production frame that costs $3k...might be re-thinking this.

numerous company makes tweaks to the frames between production runs. If something would work better is it was slightly changed, I'd hope the company would do it.

I've seen gussets moved, cable routing changed, braces added, headtubes changed, geo tweaks etc.

-KT

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW

Kaizen is a critical element of any competitive player in any industry. People should support companies that continually work to make their products better, safer, more competitive. I understand hesitations about resale, but unless they totally revamp the frame, I doubt it would have significant effect. Less effect than that one shuttle ride where your buddy's brake lever is rubbing your top tube, but you're jammed between three dudes, a bunch of helmets, a couple dogs and the driver is drifting every corner - so you can't do dick about it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Geo revisions - fine. Cable routing - fine. Major structural changes - not fine for something priced in the upper 10% of available frames. I can appreciate it when someone like Banshee makes test runs under riders everywhere for a full season before formal production.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
Geo revisions - fine. Cable routing - fine. Major structural changes - not fine for something priced in the upper 10% of available frames. I can appreciate it when someone like Banshee makes test runs under riders everywhere for a full season before formal production.
Who said there was "Major structural revision"??

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
I personaly dont think the frames were ready to go out when they did. How much testing did these things get before release? I remember seeing early pics of a revolt in dirt, the flip ships were backed up with cable ties. Now this says to me they had a problem keeping them in but i think it was two production runs later till they were changed. I hear more and more storys of guys snapping bolts in the linkage but havnt heard anything about offering a change of bolts for existing customers or even at a reduced price.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I personaly dont think the frames were ready to go out when they did. How much testing did these things get before release? I remember seeing early pics of a revolt in dirt, the flip ships were backed up with cable ties. I hear more and more storys of guys snapping bolts in the linkage but havnt heard anything about offering a change of bolts for existing customers or even at a reduced price.
i used the zip-tie method and it didnt work. still had the shoulder bolt fall out and damage my frame.

and after my last issue, they did infact send me the revised hardened steel bolts w/ snap ring retainers at no charge.

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Hacktastic look at it this way you buy a revolt frame now and its going to be sorted. The guys who bought early have shown up a couple of weak areas and these have been addressed. Wether or not these should have been shown up in testing is another story.
I think once the quality issues at the factory have been sorted you will get a great frame. I love mine, only thing im unsure about is if these bolts are gonna snap on me.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Maybe? Could still throw down a buttload of money for one, and still be discovering problems for them. For less money I could get a frame from a company that does adequate testing.

I'm the kind of rider that likes to give warranty departments some exercise, so those kinds of things set off alarms with me.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
The bikes were ridden hard by very good riders before they were sold to the public. The first two times that I rode a Revolt were test bikes, the first one was in December of 2008 or January of 2009 and it already looked very similar to the first production run. The second time might have been the same bike in March or so of 2009. I know some very fast people in the Seattle area were doing some testing as well as in Vancouver. If anything I tell Kevin every chance I get that he should have more hacks testing bikes than pro caliber riders. I think a little bit of the challenge is with a first generation frame, a little is with testing with very good riders, and a little bit is learning how to work with the factory. I have been riding my bike for almost a year now, mostly in very wet conditions and not doing obsessive maintenance and I have been very happy with it. As far as I know Evil has done their best to take care of customers after the sale is made even if they haven't been the best at communication before the sale.

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
I have been/am happy with my revolt. It has not given me any problems but of the six guys i know with the frame two have had snapped bolts with one being a write off. I think the reason one of the guys snapped theirs is becouse the chip came loose while riding. Thats one third of the bikes i know. This seams to be a problem from the start and i would be surprized if any of the test bikes didnt suffer this too. Even the pro's bikes being backed with cable ties on some older pics. I understand things are going to be tweaked here and there as the frame evolves but testing really should pick up structural isues like this and deal with them before we have too.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I pressed Kevin on that too. He said that Vanderham and Steve Smith never had a problem with the bolts. They have identified a cause and have addressed the problem. I have the updated hardware on my bike and check it 2x daily when I'm riding just to make sure it's staying tight and haven't had a problem with it.

How well did Evil take care of your friends that had issues?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Maybe? Could still throw down a buttload of money for one, and still be discovering problems for them. For less money I could get a frame from a company that does adequate testing.

I'm the kind of rider that likes to give warranty departments some exercise, so those kinds of things set off alarms with me.
Like Trek? Whose downtubes are denting and chainstays are snapping? Or perhaps Intense, who change their lineup every time they change their socks? Banshee, who still use a Maxle in their frames despite them being the absolute ****test axle imaginable? GT, who've produced the largest number of failure-prone downhill bikes on the planet? Commencal, who have repeatedly managed the brilliant combination of high weight and low strength? Santa Cruz, who are on their fourth or fifth revision of a bike that came out in 2002 and still flogs out bearings faster than anything else? Turner, who've spent so long performing adequate testing that they don't actually have a bike available, and are instead planning to release their new bike which is completely structurally redesigned from the original protos, at some point shortly before the start of the 2015 season?

This is the bike industry. It's run by amateurs trying to produce stuff with high strength-to-weight ratios in low numbers, with testing procedures that are for the most part functionally equivalent to a wild stab in the dark. There is just no way that you're going to buy a bike and be assured it's bombproof. What you can instead be sure of is that pretty well all those companies ARE constantly changing stuff in order to improve their products. If you just can't handle the fact that any expensive bike might have problems then I suggest a less emotionally stressful sport, perhaps something like darts or lawn bowls. Just don't buy crap darts, they might bend...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Haha believe me, it's not costing me any sleep. I know Evil isn't the only one doing it. I think it's all ridiculous personally. It's just risk assessment between brands at the end of the day..

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Socket i take it you are talking to me so ill just repeat what i said above, i am happy with my bike. I have had no problems. A fair number of people that i know have had problems with there bikes. Yea they were looked after and im sure if mine go's i will be looked after.
However it was steves smiths bike i seen with the cable ties through the chips. Would they have been there if there was no isue?

Jason4 im not surprized you are having no problems with bolts you say you have the updated hardware?

I understand improvements being made as a bike evolves. From my personal experiance i have seen a third of the bikes bolts i know fail. That isnt scope for an improvement or an opertunity to tweak next gen a little, thats a fail. Maybe i have just seen a diproportunate number fail, who knows.

Socket you made a good point about santa cruz who are on their fourth or fifth revision of a bike that came out in 2002. Thats four or five in eight years. How many revisons of the revolt have we had in two?

Sorry about spelling cant get spell check on work comp and never really went to school.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Socket i take it you are talking to me so ill just repeat what i said above, i am happy with my bike. I have had no problems. A fair number of people that i know have had problems with there bikes. Yea they were looked after and im sure if mine go's i will be looked after.
However it was steves smiths bike i seen with the cable ties through the chips. Would they have been there if there was no isue?

Jason4 im not surprized you are having no problems with bolts you say you have the updated hardware?

I understand improvements being made as a bike evolves. From my personal experiance i have seen a third of the bikes bolts i know fail. That isnt scope for an improvement or an opertunity to tweak next gen a little, thats a fail. Maybe i have just seen a diproportunate number fail, who knows.

Socket you made a good point about santa cruz who are on their fourth or fifth revision of a bike that came out in 2002. Thats four or five in eight years. How many revisons of the revolt have we had in two?

Sorry about spelling cant get spell check on work comp and never really went to school.
Was talking to Hacktastic... hence why I quoted him rather than you :)

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry man i totaly missed that.
I am in danger of really looking like a revolt basher here and really im not, i love my bike and will be keeping her for a very long time. I cant fault anything about its ride the only weakness i have seen is you know what. I do believe its a problem that might have been addressed before or maybe should be addressed for owners now. Who knows, more will probably fail and with potential frame write offs it might end up costing evil money and reputation for the sake of a handfull of bolts.

Last edited:

nzrider

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
This all cracks me up!! So many people whinging about small issues compared to other companies. Its a fact **** breaks doesnt matter how strong it is, ive seen guys fold 729 rims as easily as a 2 dollar warehouse wheel. The bottom line is these frames are hot and work well. Evil wouldnt be as busy as they are if there was no demand for them. Theres always going to be issues do the best to prevent them(loc tite and correct torque go a long way) and contact evil if you brake ****, from what ive heard they have been excellent at backing up there frame. Just ride it and it should be enough to put a smile on your dial! :-)

Victor

Chimp
Jan 31, 2010
Arad, Romania
Ryzo : try Opera, it has an integrated spell-checker ;)

About the flaws, in a perfect world we would have perfect frames/bikes/parts, but our world and universe for that matter isn't about perfection. The car industry is a gahzillion times bigger than the bikes one and almost all cars have some flaws, no matter they are common 10-20k cars or 100k - 1mil super/hypercars. And if you look closer, the most flaws can be seen in the most expensive, exclusive and most performant cars out there because when you look for low weight, speed, performance, durability you end up with the most problems and usually more problems than any small company can handle.

That being said, can't wait for my frame and hope it doesn't brake down :)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I pressed Kevin on that too. He said that Vanderham and Steve Smith never had a problem with the bolts. They have identified a cause and have addressed the problem. I have the updated hardware on my bike and check it 2x daily when I'm riding just to make sure it's staying tight and haven't had a problem with it.
DW said the same thing too.. i kind of find that hard to believe, but wasnt going to argue with him.
i check mine twice a day when im riding too and occasionally it will still come a 1/16 of a turn loose. even with loctite and proper torque

(loc tite and correct torque go a long way)
not with this bike it doesnt.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Steves revolt 14 months ago.

you just posted photos from he South Africa WC that was in early April 2009... before any bikes were produced and sold, and before spare parts were readily available for anyone including the team. Guess what... those are test bikes :thumb: and OMG he had a fox DHX on there so I guess we can assume that the RC4 was blowing up and failing left and right at that time too..... RIIIIGHT, haha.

the bolt issue (as stated in this thread) was due to a small production run of bolts with the wrong tolerance.... anyone who broke bolts or had issue and contacted EVIL received replacements faster than most of you post crap on the internet.

if you read though this entire thread you will see it is mainly one guy doing all the complaining.

what's funny is that this one guy was treated in the following manner by Evil but still loves to take jabs at them (and pretty much everything) on this site.

He bought one of the very first frames made, had issue, and was given an entirely new frame at no charge.

He broke one bolt 10 months later and was sent updated 2010 hardware practically overnight?

all of his complaints are documented in this thread with excellent customer service... yet this guy still complains :thumb:

to the guy saying Evil has made multiple revisions in one year that is hilarious. They added a brace to the top tube last year, and small increase in material to downtube pivot, yes, but that's it.... both of which corrected a "problem' that did not exist yet... so props to them for paying attention to details.

every single product you buy sees small revisions. every production run is a chance to change, improve and adjust something on your product. yet somehow people think this is grounds to call a compnay out for making a crap product.

bottom line, haters are gonna hate.

and this crap about testing? a sample of test riders will never flush out every issue that 300 consumers can. why? because so many people abuse their equipment, don't maintain it, don't follow directions for maintenance, torque specs, etc.

a lot of companies make changes along the way because John Q public needs a more idiot proof product... sad but true.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if you read though this entire thread you will see it is mainly one guy doing all the complaining.

what's funny is that this one guy was treated in the following manner by Evil but still loves to take jabs at them (and pretty much everything) on this site.

He bought one of the very first frames made, had issue, and was given an entirely new frame at no charge.

He broke one bolt 10 months later and was sent updated 2010 hardware practically overnight?

all of his complaints are documented in this thread with excellent customer service... yet this guy still complains :thumb:
sorry, after the 7 DH bikes ive had over 11 years ive NEVER had issues with ANY of the frames ive had.
i learned a lesson not to buy a first gen frame but it did reiterate that fact that small "boutique" companies DO take care of the people who pay $3100 for a frame because of a $5 bolt that failed b/c of "bad tolerances" :thumb:

Last edited:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I love my Revolt. Have I had problems? Yes. Did they get fixed ASAP? YES. My last two bikes were 07 & 08 Sundays; the hardware was complete sh!t and hard to come by. Evil's CS is more than I would expect from any company.

I'm glad to see that they are fixing issues and investigating quality discrepancies before they ship. I'd rather have a bike that was late on delivery and good than given a piece of sh!t.

If you're waiting for a frame I feel for you; I was without one for a few months last year. In the end the Revolt was worth the wait for me. :)

Last edited:

Ryzo

Chimp
Oct 6, 2009
you just posted photos from he South Africa WC that was in early April 2009... before any bikes were produced and sold, and before spare parts were readily available for anyone including the team. Guess what... those are test bike.

Dave are you trying to make my point for me? That is why i posted that pic. The cable ties wouldnt be on there if they didnt have a problem keeping them tight or from falling out. The problem obviously existed then pre production of any bikes you say?

Is this something that was known about? I think it probably was but **** it i can let them off for the way my bike rides :). Every time im out i hit a section a little faster or get a way with going a little too big of something and every runs a big smile on my face when i get to the bottom.