Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Hadley hubs
Shimano drivetrain
Avid Brakes
Maxxis tires
SDG Bel-air seat

On all 6 bikes. Everything else I could be flexible on.

edit - it's interesting how many people are firmly planted in the SRAM or Shimano camp.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Gravity light 800mm bars, cut down a little on the trail/freeride bike, full on the DH bike.

I love Maxxis Swampthing tires if its muddy, I'd try something else, but I would have to get a really good deal on it.

Flat pedals for ever

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Mavic Rims
Thomson Post
Rogue Grips
SRAM Chain
Shimano Cranks
Kona Wah Wah Pedals w/ 5.10s

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
E13 guides.... I like old school so its all about the srs for me
rogue grips
hayes brakes
speccy tires... tried so many others just cant get anything else to last.
shimano DX clipless pedals

Anything else is flexible

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm glad I started this thread, it might not be the most exciting read but it's cool seeing how often people rely on a certain brand.

Also I think that it would be cool if companies started speccing larger sized bikes with larger grips (ie rogues) and small and medium bikes with thinner grips (i.e ruffians).

At the start of the thread I was expecting everyones grip, pedal and saddle choices to be quite different and was ready to make the statement that perhaps bike companies could spec their bikes without these items, as they are often cheaper own brand parts knowing that get swapped out straight away.

Any thoughts on that? it might seem retarded to sell a bike you cant sit on, pedal or grip properly straight away but I wouldn't mind saving a bit of cash on the complete price since I'll be spending it straight away on getting those parts replaced.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Pretty much everytime:

- Mavic rims
- X.O. Shifter derailleurs
- XT/XTR Cassette and chain.
- Avid brakes.
- Maxxis rubber
- Thomson stem and post
- Ruffian grips
- Wellgo MG-1s

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Any thoughts on that? it might seem retarded to sell a bike you cant sit on, pedal or grip properly straight away but I wouldn't mind saving a bit of cash on the complete price since I'll be spending it straight away on getting those parts replaced.

Riders who are that particular about pedals/seat/grips, don't often buy complete bikes anyways.
I'm picky enough about all the other stuff that I would have a hard time buying a complete. Plus, it's easier to afford nice bikes when you can spend $1400 on a frame vs $4000 for a complete.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Maxxis supertacky (DHF or High Rollers)
SRAM X.9 trigger + rear mech
ODI grips
WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
Rockshox vivid 5.1 (if i could sample CCDB, i would probably mount that each time)
SRAM chain + SRAM powerlink
Hope Pro II front and rear hubs
Mavic EX729 rims (heavy, but bombproof)
661 Kyle Strait knee pads
Alpinestars Octane MX glove (LUV IT!)
clothing = anything Alpinestars.
5.10 Impact 2 lows.
Oakley MX crowbars

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Maxxis supertacky (DHF or High Rollers)
SRAM X.9 trigger + rear mech
ODI grips
WTB Rocket V SLT saddle
Rockshox vivid 5.1 (if i could sample CCDB, i would probably mount that each time)
SRAM chain + SRAM powerlink
Hope Pro II front and rear hubs
Mavic EX729 rims (heavy, but bombproof)
661 Kyle Strait knee pads
Alpinestars Octane MX glove (LUV IT!)
clothing = anything Alpinestars.
5.10 Impact 2 lows.
Oakley MX crowbars
Doesn't leave too many other parts to worry about then!

Riders who are that particular about pedals/seat/grips, don't often buy complete bikes anyways.
and that is definitely true as well. Plus a decent bike store would normally let you trade those parts out for a small fee anyway.

Keep them coming!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Spec them for the best deal and upsell other components, I am not sure on the bike industry but alot of the rest rely on the 1 & 3 sell them a hook and upgrade them a few items for the profit.

I agree it would be too hard to spec them you may have a guy 6' long torso stumps for legs and needs a large but hands are like the BK commercial! LOL

It is cool to see the constants and product loyalty on here! :thumb:

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Thomson posts.
King headsets.
ODI Ruffians.
E13 chainrings and guides.

All of that stuff just plain works.And keeps working.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Hadley hubs

DT Spokes

Maxxis tires [ love the DHF stil miss the 40a SRs in 2.35 as well as 2.5s] #c will do,ST Swampthings love em dry and wet too.

Thomson Elite post, my current one has been on every bike Ive had since 1999 lol its on my DHR now for its final destination.

One of the few
Race Face cranks [high end ver] RF Atlas Atlas and Deus, Diablous were indestructible but over kill, love my RF FRs 165mm

5:10s I also have a pair of the originals I can't destroy, they have been whores to on many variety of flat peals, they now reside on my all time fav peal the PENTHOUSE Burgtec's a good place for a whore!

Moto FF Helmet

Leatt neck brace system /GPX !

Last edited:
888 fork
Sram
E13

I have alot of loyality to Norco.

Norco gave me a brand new Team DH frame because they couldn't give me a new Aline park edition frame by the time I left Whistler. Now that's a warrantry... I give props to Norco and Fantlyk bike shop

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Electrical tape around the top of the seat post. Good thing to have in case you break something. That's probably the only thing on all my bikes. Sram, Shimano, it all breaks with the right rock.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Oh yeah, nuthin but 2.7" Maxxis' on the DH bike for 8 years. Until now, I just ordered some 2.6" Ardents cuz they were only $20.
That's funny. Myself and 2 of my friends are tire whores and put together a $400 order from Jenson to nab up some of those Intense tires for $15 and some Ardents too.

Just about the only constant bike parts I get are King headsets, and X0 grip shift.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Saint cranks, Easton Flatboys, ODI lock ons.

I love the Eastons, just wish they weren't so heavy :(

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Shimano cranks and brakes.
Mavic rims.
Thompsen stems.
SDG I-beam seat/posts.
Chromag bars.
ODI grips.
Cane Creek headsets.
Sram gearing.

And Hadley mutha fyckin hubs!!!

My trailbike breaks a lot of these standards, but I bought it complete... I want to change lots of parts on it, but as long as it's working I don't give a fyck.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Mavic 721s
ODI grips (S&M)
Wellgo mg-1
Maxxis minions

These parts find their way onto all of my rigs.

I find it interesting how there aren't any people talking about dt rims in this thread :0

Last edited:

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
X0 or X9 shifter and deralleur
Specialized seats

I have Avid brakes on all my bikes but that's just how it worked out.

I tend to use Shimano cranks

The reality is though, I can pretty much adapt to anything and most of the products out there are good enough these days. As long as the flat pedals are big enough, bars wide enough, and the grips thick enough for my big hands, then I'm good.

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
I know the point of this thread is "the components you always pick" and not "how do you setup your bike" but I really think it comes down to specific setup more than particular brand. Most (not all!) components these days are good. It is the details that set a bike apart. For me it isn't so much the components that I choose every time on every bike build, but it is the brake lever reach/pull, grip thickness, saddle height/angle, stem length, damper settings, etc that I always run a certain way.
Check out some of the talented riders of our sport. They run different sponsors year to year. Different frames, forks, cranks, wheels, etc but it doesn't affect them. Is Steve Peat faster on Santa Cruz than Orange? Is Jeff Lenosky more impressive on Fox than Rock Shox?
Point is, we all have certain parts we like to run, but the setup is just as important as the product.
And to keep this thread on track, a Thomson seatpost with a Flite saddle finds its way onto every one of my bikes sooner or later.