always hope brakes
all king products possible
always mavic rims with dt spokes
always thomson groupo
shimano road componentry cause im a gangster like that

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I know the point of this thread is "the components you always pick" and not "how do you setup your bike" but I really think it comes down to specific setup more than particular brand. Most (not all!) components these days are good. It is the details that set a bike apart. For me it isn't so much the components that I choose every time on every bike build, but it is the brake lever reach/pull, grip thickness, saddle height/angle, stem length, damper settings, etc that I always run a certain way.
I'm no thread Nazi, if you want to twist the title a little and describe what you look for in a component or how you set things up that's fine by me. It's all the same idea to me.

As long as there are no 'LOOLLLZZ, avid BB7 is teh best break and marzocchi drt jams are da best fork coz i hav dem on my p3, u is all rong, mega lolzzz' style comments I'm cool with the thread going wherever people see fit.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
X.0 Shifter/Derailleur Combo
Saint/XTR Cranks
Thompson Everything
Ruffians
Saint/XTR Brakes
e.13 Rings and Guides

Seems to be the perfect gear ever for me...year after year it just works.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
sram x.9/x.o shifting, shimano cassette (ultegra reg or Ti version), hadley hubs, maxxis tires til death, thompson post, ruffian grips (i am weird bout my grips, even the mx version feels fat to me), time pedals or straitlines (depends on the track), goodridge brake lines

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I know the point of this thread is "the components you always pick" and not "how do you setup your bike" but I really think it comes down to specific setup more than particular brand. Most (not all!) components these days are good. It is the details that set a bike apart. For me it isn't so much the components that I choose every time on every bike build, but it is the brake lever reach/pull, grip thickness, saddle height/angle, stem length, damper settings, etc that I always run a certain way.
Check out some of the talented riders of our sport. They run different sponsors year to year. Different frames, forks, cranks, wheels, etc but it doesn't affect them. Is Steve Peat faster on Santa Cruz than Orange? Is Jeff Lenosky more impressive on Fox than Rock Shox?
Point is, we all have certain parts we like to run, but the setup is just as important as the product.
And to keep this thread on track, a Thomson seatpost with a Flite saddle finds its way onto every one of my bikes sooner or later.
All you mentioned is rider preference and cockpit room as they also have custom frames made and blackbox parts which we do not......
Then grips etc.... I have 3xl hands and alot of guys dont so I run a rogue grip and I have a long upper body with hella reack so my preference of bar adjustment will be different and if I have a fat rear or skinny rear will probably play a role on seat angle so I thing component spec and preference is more suitable vs the cockpit angles and lever throw thats all after the fact....

Thats a good idea but WAY to general as peoples torsos, height , weight, hands, feet, background all play into this. Hell athertons like there suspension stiffer than most so I think component specs are a better deal... :thumb:

I come from a MX background and cant stand the way my B<Xr buddies set there stuff up and my other buds that rode HTs set there bikes up different as well.

And to keep it on track untill recently it was pg 990 now its KMC x9sl Ti, also its always 185mm rear rotors and 203 front...

Last edited: