Quantcast

**STOLEN** Steve Peat and Sam Hill's WC Bikes

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Just got a quick message, both Steve Peat and Sam Hill's WC bikes were stollen today/yesterday out of the MadCatz trailer up in Whistler. Stay on the lookout for Peaty's V10 and Sam's Sunday, pictures and full description/parts list to follow soon. Reward offered, extra if it includes the head/various other body parts of the thief.

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i know lopes wants to win again this year...but he's just playing dirty now.

OK...bad joke. But back on topic...that's insane. Out of the trailer? So let me get this straight. That fat tub Michael Moorer can open the front door of every Canadian house without it being locked b/c crime is so low...but you strap yourself to a mountain bike and your liable to get smuggled to Siberia before you unclip?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Kathy Pruitt's bike and parts were stolen from a trailer in Whistler also... why these bikes weren't locked up in a building/room/steel cage I'll never know. Why chance it?

The RCMP should set up a road check on the roads out of Whistler and check everyone with a bike... you must carry a photo of you with the bike or some other proof it's yours.

Hopefully those guys can get a bike together so they can race this week.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
jon-boy said:
Kathy Pruitt's bike and parts were stolen from a trailer in Whistler also... why these bikes weren't locked up in a building/room/steel cage I'll never know. Why chance it?

The RCMP should set up a road check on the roads out of Whistler and check everyone with a bike... you must carry a photo of you with the bike or some other proof it's yours.

Hopefully those guys can get a bike together so they can race this week.
I would imagine that it may be over the top to have proof, since alot of people don't keep reciptes and it could have been a used bike, unless they are tracked by serial number.

I would also imagine they have spare bikes, possibly.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Or some sort of bike registration. Register when you come in, check out when you leave. If the #'s match your good. If they don't, or you "forgot" to register, you enter hell.

It would be a royal pain, but would help a lot in high traffic times such as crankworks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Obviously, riders can use New York Chains, guard dogs, Smith & Wesson. I just think it is sad that trust in our community is an opportunity for a**holes to exploit...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Start strapping claymores to your bikes. God hates bike thieves, and will let you slide for sending them straight to hell.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I doubt they would supply it, but I'd be curious to see a report on the number of stolen bikes in whistler in any of the last few years.

If/when going to whistler, DO NOT leave you bike unattended for even a few seconds. They disappear that fast!
Check with the place your staying at to be sure they let you bring the bikes into the rooms. If they tell you they have "secure" storage, book with a different place. Some places want some sort of damage deposit, which should be refundable, so PAY IT!!! Just don't work on oily chains or disc brakes in your room.

Seriously.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
OK, so everyone up at Whistler keep your eyes peeled for the following bikes:

Sam Hill's Sunday
-17" Monster green w/ 07 front triangle and links
-Black Box Gold brakes (Juicy Ultimate levers w/ Code calipers)
-every other high end part that Sam races normally

Sam Hill's Azure Factory
-19" ano black w/ black Reba World Cup fork

Jacy's MkIII
-05 blue 15" MkIII frame w/ blue Pike

Steve Peat's V10
-Syndicate Team colors
-Black Box Juicy brakes

The trailer was fully locked and secured. The trailer was physically cut open to remove the bikes.

Reward for any tips leading to recovery of the bikes and/or arrest of individual(s) responsible. Call 800-645-5477 ext 206 with ANY info.

-ska todd

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Sounds like it may be tricky to find these bikes more so than others because so many people have copied their exact setups.

EDIT: OK I lied. I thought peat was on the white/white v10 boxxer. And hill on the Sunday WC.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well atleast in this case (still sucks though) they are team bikes.....which by the parts specs you probably won't see a whole bunch of them around. It's not like looking for a bone stock sunday or v10.......so there are some helpers on the bikes to spot them.

I know that a trailer seems secure but god damm. Why is there no security there? That is a big reason why I haven't gone up there. I can't stand to think I could go there with my bike.........and go home without it even if I did lock it up, did everything in my power to keep it safe. You'd think during a big bike shindig they would have a secure area where teams would leave their trailers and such and have 24hr watch on things.

I don't think they'll make it to socal but in any case hope you guys have luck finding them. I know that the ratio of stolen to found bikes isn't that high up there but all you can do is hope!

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I hope in the near future the price point of GPS technology will get low enough we can put small transponders in or on our bikes, boot up the pda and load the truck with a bunch of angry MTBers. You can't run from big brother......brother!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
offtheedge said:
I hope in the near future the price point of GPS technology will get low enough we can put small transponders in or on our bikes, boot up the pda and load the truck with a bunch of angry MTBers. You can't run from big brother......brother!
They already make them........dunno how much though...

I dunno where you'd put it..........There's enough room in some DH frames for this stuff but it needs to be small enough to fit inside a seat tube/headtube or something.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Spunger said:
They already make them........dunno how much though...

I dunno where you'd put it..........There's enough room in some DH frames for this stuff but it needs to be small enough to fit inside a seat tube/headtube or something.

yeah, thats the hang up...size. I'm sure there are quarter sized units but at a hefty price. That will all change soon enough.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
offtheedge said:
They've got that for surfboards.

http://www.surfboard-tracker.com/

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
bizutch said:
bro...skip back up and read Todd's post...they CUT THE TRAILER OPEN...
Yeah? and? It's not like this is the first time this has happened. NOr is it the first time a trailer has been molested in some way to get to its contents. Nor do these trailers tend to be low-key.

A trailer unattended in the middle of the night, is the same as a bike unattended. This isn't a new concept. Alarms? All the teams park their trailers together and all pitch it for a security guard?

This is a known problem. It happens every year. Solutions are not THAT difficult.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I lock my bikes in my room.

No reason a pro can't do the same thing. A team trailer is nothing but a blue light special.

That doesn't justify theivery, it still sucks. But when I'm in whistler my bike is either in my room or in my hands because everyone knows what an epidemic it is up there.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
kidwoo said:
I lock my bikes in my room.

No reason a pro can't do the same thing. A team trailer is nothing but a blue light special.

That doesn't justify theivery, it still sucks. But when I'm in whistler my bike is either in my room or in my hands because everyone knows what an epidemic it is up there.
it's a tad bit harder when you have 3-4 bikes per athlete, & multiple athletes.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
This sucks,

Whistler has deffinetly got to get somethin together to prevent this. Like a garage to keep trailers that isn't able to be broken into.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DylanDeanDesign said:
it's a tad bit harder when you have 3-4 bikes per athlete, & multiple athletes.

You think I bring one bike and stay by myself?

Hardly. I took three last year and stayed in a two bedroom place with 4-5 people.

It's tight but getting my bike(s) stolen is not an option.

I don't like playing blame the victim but it's WHISTLER. Bikes dissappear there.

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
When bikes like these are stolen, are they usually recovered in a riding environment - or on ebay or sales postings?

The thing that bothers me is, if the perps that do this kind of stuff are riders - why don't the rest of us put a stop to it? All it takes is a little "personal" sting op, with ski masks and and baseball bats.

Let a couple of these ops go down, with the perps crawling away with broken legs/arms, and see how quickly it stops.

In college, we had a similar situation with cars getting broke into in our lot. We pulled one of these ops and put a couple of guys in casts. No more break ins...:nope: Man I hate f#$#@ng thieves on so many levels.

And no, I'm not making this up. Sometimes you have take steps to correct issues, yourself (ourselves).

PS - Nobody has to die btw.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I dunno guys... if a locked trailer isn't secure, Whistler has a big f-ing problem. It's pathetic that at a private resort, any more security is required... and speaking of security, where the hell were they?!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Ska Todd:
OK, so everyone up at Whistler keep your eyes peeled for the following bikes:

Sam Hill's Sunday
-17" Monster green w/ 07 front triangle and links
-Black Box Gold brakes (Juicy Ultimate levers w/ Code calipers)
-every other high end part that Sam races normally

Sam Hill's Azure Factory
-19" ano black w/ black Reba World Cup fork

Jacy's MkIII
-05 blue 15" MkIII frame w/ blue Pike

Steve Peat's V10
-Syndicate Team colors
-Black Box Juicy brakes

The trailer was fully locked and secured. The trailer was physically cut open to remove the bikes.

Reward for any tips leading to recovery of the bikes and/or arrest of individual(s) responsible. Call 800-645-5477 ext 206 with ANY info.

-ska todd

Motherfu@kers!

I'm getting fed up with these a$$hole bike thieves in Whistler, considering I'll be planning a trip next year.

...tell Daddy how you want it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
The only truely safe place for a bike in Whistler is having it chained to your waist.....cages, garages, vans, Krypto locks are no deterrent......these guys are pros.