Quantcast

Spinning the VW Roulette Wheel

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
The wife and I picked this up last Thursday. We drove lots of stuff, including everything made by Subaru, but kept coming back to this one. Nice interior, the TDI engine and 6 speed automated manual are great, huge sunroof, and it's a wagon.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Congrats on the purchase. You made a great decision.

I'm loving my JSW. Most versatile vehicle I have ever owned. I looked at Subies, Volvos, BMWs, but nothing checked all the boxes. I needed something that was well equipped, comfortable ride, good economy, roomy, could tow my trailer, drive to out of state races, and shuttle DH bikes.

Shuttles 4 riders with ease (roof+hitch racks), still averaging 25+ mpg going up and down all day long.

Tows 3 motos on my utility trailer while getting roughly 30mpg on the highway.

Gets around 40 mpg on my commute to work.

All while having heated seats, leather, huge sunroof, and packing 2 10s in the back while still having room to keep dh, moto and xc helmets, pads, neck braces, shoes, camelbaks, etc. It's basically my rolling riding cabinet, tool box and changing room.

Had it about 18 months now, just turned over 31,000 the other day. No regrets.

EDIT: The rear suspension is very soft, I noticed it riding on the bump stops coming back from Mammoth with 4 bikes and 5 people. I bought a "Firestone Ride Rite" kit for the rear, seemed to help a lot.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I've always liked VW cars but been afraid of the horror stories, particularly annoying electrical issues, something I am terrible and uninterested in fixing. I hope you got a good one! Sharp looking car.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
1980 rabbit 120,000 miles
1985 GTI 150,000 miles
1989 GTI 200,000 miles
1992 jetta 170,000 miles
1993 passat wagon glx 190,000 miles
1987 coupe 75,000 miles....someone made me a offer....
1998 MKIV 178,000 miles and counting

no lemons.

the engine from the 89 is getting refreshed and going into locost-7.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
My 98 Passat TDi wagon was flawless for the 3 yrs/60k miles I owned it.
I was bummed I couldn't bring it back from europe when we returned.

The jetta's too small for my family, but if VW brings back a passat-sized tdi wagon it'd be on my short list.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love that giant sunroof. I really want a sunroof on my next car.

The automated manual transmission... I mean, they're significantly more complex than a clutch. Do they still provide generally better reliability and longevity than an automatic?

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
The automated manual transmission... I mean, they're significantly more complex than a clutch. Do they still provide generally better reliability and longevity than an automatic?
Don't compare them to a 'traditional' automatic. The real advantage is that they shift almost instantly, accelerate faster, and get better mileage..............than a MANUAL transmission.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Don't compare them to a 'traditional' automatic. The real advantage is that they shift almost instantly, accelerate faster, and get better mileage..............than a MANUAL transmission.
No, I understand the benefits. I'm just wondering if, since it's more complex than a clutch, there is still a net gain in reliability. I mean, one of the advantages of a manual is that a clutch failure is a several hundred dollar job, unlike most failures with an automatic. With the "automated manual" transmissions... if replacing the clutch costs you $2k, it doesn't represent much of a reliability/financial gain.

Not digging on them, just curious.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I hate to admit it and knock wood, my Jetta has treated me pretty well all in all. 2002, 1.8T I've had it 6-1/2 years. I just had the timing belt changed last week. 212000 kms.

My check engine light has been on for 3 years. But I know what the code is, and my mechanic told me not to worry about it.

I'd buy another one.

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
It's considerably more expensive to repair a DSG over a manual or 'traditional' automatic transmissions. It also has shorter service intervals. That being said, reliability is pretty much equal. As a matter of fact, in most VW tuning circles, it's widely known that the DSG can handle much more hp/tq over the 6-spd manual in stock form.

I am a firm believer in DSG..........this is coming from someone who has only ever owned manual transmission cars.

Last edited:

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
I have had eight VWs. (Incidentally, they all had sunroofs, but none of them leaked) The only one that really gave me trouble was a 1990 Corrado that I bought in 2000. It had been neglected pretty bad, so I ended up doing lots of maintenance in the year that I owned it. It bled me dry and I finally dumped it when I couldn't take any more.

The SportWagens are so nice. I just wish my wife didn't have such an aversion to wagons.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
On a related note, what are thoughts on clear bras? Worth doing? I've got a quote from one local place to do:
- Hood
- Fenders
- Mirrors
- Door handles
- Headlights
The quote is $360. It seems a little high, but they're supposed to be the best place in town.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nice looking car. The sunroof is especially sweet.

This is why I avoid VWs, though. CN: He bought a Golf TDI new, was ecstatic at first, but come 30k miles he was raring to get away from it. He ended up with a Skyactiv Mazda3 instead.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Nice looking car. The sunroof is especially sweet.

This is why I avoid VWs, though. CN: He bought a Golf TDI new, was ecstatic at first, but come 30k miles he was raring to get away from it. He ended up with a Skyactiv Mazda3 instead.
That's why I've avoided them in the past. On the other hand I have one friend who traded in his Outback using the lemon law. Another friend that was within one repair of doing the same. One of those two also had major transmission problems with a previous Subaru (it was on its 3rd tranny by 150k miles). And then my father and brother both had engine problems with their Subies.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'd say that there are other options besides Subarus, but then again you do live in Colorado... :D

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I'd say that there are other options besides Subarus, but then again you do live in Colorado... :D
Well, sure. We drove lots of stuff. Just saying there can be problems, even with what's usually regarded as one of the more reliable manufacturers.

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
Had a Subaru Brat..........(yes, a Brat, and yes it was YEARS ago) it was a great cheap car/truck/whatever you call it. Always assumed a Subaru was still a safe bet. Now, recently the prices are going up, while the reliability is going down..

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Had a Subaru Brat..........(yes, a Brat, and yes it was YEARS ago) it was a great cheap car/truck/whatever you call it. Always assumed a Subaru was still a safe bet. Now, recently the prices are going up, while the reliability is going down..
A friend of mine drove a Brat for a while in high school. It was a fun car, but some most of that should probably be attributed to the novelty of not having our parents driving us around.

It's all anecdotal of course. Even the larger surveys are somewhat suspect.

Thanks for the other info, by the way. I doubt we'll ever load it up quite that much so the airbags probably won't be necessary. Once we hit five people, the Land Cruiser will be much more comfortable and will easily handle larger loads and towing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
That's why I've avoided them in the past. On the other hand I have one friend who traded in his Outback using the lemon law. Another friend that was within one repair of doing the same. One of those two also had major transmission problems with a previous Subaru (it was on its 3rd tranny by 150k miles). And then my father and brother both had engine problems with their Subies.
Automatic transmission, I presume?

And those engine problems... I bet they were the 1996-2001 2.5l?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

Automatic - yes. For the engine problems, one was the 1996-2001 2.5l, the other was a 2.0l 2001 WRX.

The two lemons were much newer, something like a 2009 and a 2010.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have had 2 consecutive GLi's. A 2006 GLi with the DSG, I put 100k on it in 2.5 years and onto my 2nd a 2009 6speed manual with 120k on the clock. They both suffered from some kind of intake manifold issue that was replaced under factory warranty on the first and my extended warranty on the second. Other than that I have had to change the oil, brakes, tires and most recently fuel filter. They are fun to drive and get ~32/33 mpg on the highway. Both had sunroof's without any leaks. As a matter of fact the fit in finish of the interior is one of the best features even after 100k+ miles. Obviously I do a lot of driving.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

the lady i worked for in colorado....the glass sunroof exploded in hers on a extremely hot summer day.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I'm really glad to hear the good stories about the VW's. I'm currently leasing a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen (not TDI), and I love it. It's really peppy and fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, and I can cram a ton of stuff into the back of it for biking and skiing trips. I also went through the trouble of having a hitch & rack installed on it. My lease expires in November, and I'm thinking I'm just going to buy it. I really love the car. I've already got almost 50K on it (so yes, I've gone way over the allotted mileage, and that's another reason I'm thinking I'll just buy it).

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Well...

Last Thursday the wife closed the sunroof, only it didn't close. It just made a loud crunching noise and stopped moving. We dropped off the car on Friday because there weren't any loaners available on Thursday. Today they determined that the sunroof casette (essentially the entire assembly) prematurely failed and needs to be replaced. There are no parts in the US so it looks like at least two weeks to have one delivered from Germany and then installation which means disassembling and then reassembling most of the upper half of the interior.

The failure doesn't bother me nearly as much as potentially being without the car and in a new generation decontented Jetta sedan with the gas motor as a replacement for three weeks. That's pretty frustrating. Though I guess it does minimize miles on ours.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
On my last two cars the sun roof has cause some sort of problem. Now I just leave it alone and hopefully less will go wrong and it will take longer before it leaks.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
2000 jetta just went over 90k
never had a sunroof issue, but then again, i only use it on hot days to vent the cabin when parked outside

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Is there a back-up, mechanical closure for the sunroof?
Our mercedes has a 10mm allen key that can be used to close the sunroof if the motor or cables fail.

If your jetta has a similar system, maybe you can at least get it closed and drive the car until the parts show up.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had to disconnect the sunroof in my friends Land Rover because it liked to open at random (usually when parked outside in the rain). The dealership tried a few different times, never fixed it. So I pulled it's power. It still looks nice. :rofl:

I am spoiled with my glass top. I didn't think it was all that big a deal, but the all glass top makes for sunny drives.