Quantcast

Sonntag GMT---------8<-------------[ cut here ]---

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not digging at @stoney in particular but his post reminded me about how i feel like the "need" for kids to have a signature competitive sport at a young age is some bullshit invented by modern society relatively recently. it drives me nuts when my wife stresses about our 12yo not having a special sport. he's gonna be a giant failure in life for sure, right???

so glad i just skateboarded. when i got around to "competitive" sports in high school it was xc and track. #cheapsports

dinner was oysters followed by lamb (sausage) and clam pasta. was decent.

riding bikes in the woods today reminded me that i need to do that again soon.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
not digging at @stoney in particular but his post reminded me about how i feel like the "need" for kids to have a signature competitive sport at a young age is some bullshit invented by modern society relatively recently. it drives me nuts when my wife stresses about our 12yo not having a special sport. he's gonna be a giant failure in life for sure, right???

so glad i just skateboarded. when i got around to "competitive" sports in high school it was xc and track. #cheapsports

dinner was oysters followed by lamb (sausage) and clam pasta. was decent.

riding bikes in the woods today reminded me that i need to do that again soon.
:stupid:

Gotta leave room to let kids be kids. Besides, half the time it feels like the parent pushing their competitive desires onto their kid, hoping they'll achieve something Mommy or Daddy couldn't.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
kinda like you don't need a second house?
That’s the thing, though:

- will make me money through appreciation over the years, not the reverse
- is managed by a third party to which I gladly cede 30% of revenue
- materially improved my lifestyle instead of adding in more complications (up on Friday night/down on Sunday mid day instead of doing the early morning Saturday slog and driving down that night)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That’s the thing, though:

- will make me money through appreciation over the years, not the reverse
- is managed by a third party to which I gladly cede 30% of revenue
- materially improved my lifestyle instead of adding in more complications (up on Friday night/down on Sunday mid day instead of doing the early morning Saturday slog and driving down that night)
counterpoint: race car

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
counterpoint: race car
One that requires a ton of upkeep and is only useful in a very specific setting. Like a DH bike that needs new tires all the time. And gas. And a trailer.

I used to autocross, and I’d imagine the seat time to prep time ratio is worse for karting.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One that requires a ton of upkeep and is only useful in a very specific setting. Like a DH bike that needs new tires all the time. And gas. And a trailer.

I used to autocross, and I’d imagine the seat time to prep time ratio is worse for karting.
oh so you have a ///Spreadsheet

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:stupid:

Gotta leave room to let kids be kids. Besides, half the time it feels like the parent pushing their competitive desires onto their kid, hoping they'll achieve something Mommy or Daddy couldn't.
The amount of time Haley has to do fuck all of nothing is monumental. She'd spend even more time with her friends if their parents let them roam free, which I'm cool with. Otherwise, they go to a house (assuming parents are there and have given permission), bounce on a trampoline, and more often than not, watch TV or play Roblox.

I feel we, as kids, had a lot more free range time. But thinking back, almost all my friends all had one parent who didn't work. We were free to be stupid. If we did something *too* stupid, there was an adult to bail us out. There also wasn't the neverending "the kids aren't safe; kidnapping is high; crime is high" stream from media to scare parents.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
The amount of time Haley has to do fuck all of nothing is monumental. She'd spend even more time with her friends if their parents let them roam free, which I'm cool with. Otherwise, they go to a house (assuming parents are there and have given permission), bounce on a trampoline, and more often than not, watch TV or play Roblox.

I feel we, as kids, had a lot more free range time. But thinking back, almost all my friends all had one parent who didn't work. We were free to be stupid. If we did something *too* stupid, there was an adult to bail us out. There also wasn't the neverending "the kids aren't safe; kidnapping is high; crime is high" stream from media to scare parents.
It's a damn shame kids don't have that freedom any longer. I remember just going and getting lost in the woods, playing in the swamp, and beating each other with sticks. No more. Gotta keep them inside where they are "safe".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's a damn shame kids don't have that freedom any longer. I remember just going and getting lost in the woods, playing in the swamp, and beating each other with sticks. No more. Gotta keep them inside where they are "safe".

I was allowed to do whatever I wanted alone in the woods but was forbidden to go anywhere near civilization. Was fine by me and still is.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
me and my best friend used to have contests to see who could jump off the highest tree branch. it's also a wonder that i didn't burn down all of the woods behind my house. lysol and a lighter are fun!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That is like Ukraine giving up their nukes. You can see how that ended..... :D ;)
Good point, however my problem was I did not have the space for the bike in the apartment in Brooklyn. Now on the other hand I have plenty of space and dreaming of a long travel bike again for a trip to the Alps and we have some options close by in Sweden.