Quantcast

So Monkies, tell me about CO...

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
A potential opportunity has arisen for me to relocate to the Boulder, Co area. Given that I have been an east-coast resident my entire life, I know little of anything west of the coast. So fill me in about the area and everything. Things I need to know, things I should be aware of. Hows the market for housing (would be renting) and even the weather? The extent of my knowledge is what Wikipedia has told me.

I know SS, Colorado sucks and I should move to Texas.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A potential opportunity has arisen for me to relocate to the Boulder, Co area. Given that I have been an east-coast resident my entire life, I know little of anything west of the coast. So fill me in about the area and everything. Things I need to know, things I should be aware of. Hows the market for housing (would be renting) and even the weather? The extent of my knowledge is what Wikipedia has told me.

I know SS, Colorado sucks and I should move to Texas.
weather is a crap shoot from october-may......snow in the morning...45 degrees in the afternoon.....temp range in the winter is varied -20 below one day.....60 the next day or week

boulder is alright.....my younger brother used to live in gunbarrel...outside of boulder.....now he lives in longmont.

i liked it....and i didn't.

colorado drivers....the worst.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Also, in Boulder, be prepared to constantly be told how rude and arrogant you are because you come from the east coast. That is until you embrace it and join in the self congratulation for having made the best choice of your life.

That said, if I could find a position at CSU in Fort Collins......

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
colorado....kansas with bumps.

in all honesty....if you do move there....make it a point to explore outside of where you live every fvcking weekend you can.

that's the only regret i have.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ouray..

pagosa springs...

little fury things...quoting dinosaur jr...

kenosha

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I thought all the Texans were already in Colorado. :confused: We also have a sh*t load of Californians.

I love the peoples republic of Boulder. SCC is right, Ft Collins is nice too. If I had it to do over those are probably the only two places on the front range I'd live.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Boulder is rad. Student town for the normal school year but apart from that really good vibe. Liked it a lot. I would move there in a hurry from the East if the occasion would arise. I mean if you're into MTBing (which you probably are posting here!!!), you can't not like the Front Range region. The accessibilty to top class riding is phenomenal. More of XC/AM type riding though. Go for it!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Don't let folks from Denver fool you, it is still the Mid-west. :D

I love the state myself but it can be pretty back-woodsy depending on where you are. Boulder would be cool but all the yuppie-lefty-liberal-loonies could get annoying but I think that would be easy to get past.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I came from Vermont to Denver 4 months ago and I will never leave this state. Best decision that I have ever made.

Boulder has an east coast feel to it and is it's own little bubble, but I like the place.

You will not regret it, especially the winters!!!!! Gonna be 55 and sunny in Denver today!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Boulder is rad. Student town for the normal school year but apart from that really good vibe. Liked it a lot. I would move there in a hurry from the East if the occasion would arise. I mean if you're into MTBing (which you probably are posting here!!!), you can't not like the Front Range region. The accessibilty to top class riding is phenomenal. More of XC/AM type riding though. Go for it!
Can't say that Im not motivated in part by the promise of the fantastic. Though I imagine it will be painful for my puny little sea-level lungs and legs to adapt to.

in all honesty....if you do move there....make it a point to explore outside of where you live every fvcking weekend you can.

that's the only regret i have.
That's the plan. Figure with the world-class biking, hiking, fly fishing, and photographic opportunities, I will be a busy man.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I think I'd rather live in greeley than MA. Boulder? do it. the weather rules, the scenery's great, denver's right there, good music pretty often,
you might look at living in longmont or thereabouts instead of boulder itself as housing in boulder is one of the most expensive in CO. lots of trustafarians and such gravitate to boulder.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Can't say that Im not motivated in part by the promise of the fantastic. Though I imagine it will be painful for my puny little sea-level lungs and legs to adapt to.
And when you come back here and can't ride technical trails to save your life anymore I can LOL at you.

(No offense if you're reading this Adam :rofl:)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I moved here from Chicago about a year ago and couldn't be happier.

I can't speak to the Boulder area but I can say that Denver as a city is not a reason to come to CO. I live as close to the mountains as you can get without being "in" the mountains. Rentals are totally reasonable along the foothills, I can ride from home, walk or short drive to eat/drink, and its sunny just about every day.

What there is NOT is an abundance of good food. But I supposed I've been spoiled.

So what's the job opportunity?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I grew up in Colorado and lived there from 1969 to 1988, oddly enough my family relocated there from California after my dad's Navy service gig was up. We lived in the Parker / Franktown area in a subdivision called the Pinery.

Last year I went back for a family wedding - my overwhelming impression was one of too many people. Every where we went there where too many people & too much traffic. I've never lived or spent much time outside the western states - for me there is little difference between the suburbs of LA, Dallas, Denver or Houston - they want to be unique but sprawl is sprawl no matter what state you're in.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I grew up in Colorado and lived there from 1969 to 1988, oddly enough my family relocated there from California after my dad's Navy service gig was up. We lived in the Parker / Franktown area in a subdivision called the Pinery.

Last year I went back for a family wedding - my overwhelming impression was one of too many people. Every where we went there where too many people & too much traffic. I've never lived or spent much time outside the western states - for me there is little difference between the suburbs of LA, Dallas, Denver or Houston - they want to be unique but sprawl is sprawl no matter what state you're in.
And unlike the cities east of here there are no trees to hide the sprawl. It's all there for the world to admire.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I was born in Littleton, CO and lived there till I was 14 and we moved to Santa Barbara, CA. I spent a lot of time in Boulder, Golden and Breckenridge.

Without a doubt I'd go for it! To this day I still miss living there...and that's coming from somebody living in one of the nicest places CA has to offer (the beach is 2mi. from my house and amazing DH is about 2mi. behind my house).

But ya, boulder is a really nice place and has amazing views...only thing that sucks about CO is the weather!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
oh yeah, how could I forget?...they got some killer pot in CO. Not sure if that is your thing though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Colorado shares a border with Nebraska. It will be almost impossible to avoid fat tourists wearing Huskers and bedazzled holiday sweatshirts.