Quantcast

Sick Carbon Frame

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
No Der hanger? Saint only?

Sick looking rig.
Did he get SC's permission to use VPP?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
:shocked: :drool: :drool:

wow... that rear swingarm looks eerily similar to a VP-Free...minus the dropouts. did he use the links from a previous VPP bike or machine his own? they look like they could be from a SC or Intense.

totally friggin' awesome otherwise! :cheers: wish i had the skills and knowledge to pull something off like that. hope it lasts him more than a season!

PS - Why the ancient SID Dual-Air? would be 10x sicker with a DHX Air, IMO (that i'm sure everyone is eager to hear).

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow...

That's pretty impressive - a very professional looking job.

I like the lines of the frame - very nice - but I wonder if he's done any FEA work on it?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
:shocked: :drool: :drool:

wow... that rear swingarm looks eerily similar to a VP-Free...minus the dropouts. did he use the links from a previous VPP bike or machine his own? they look like they could be from a SC or Intense.

totally friggin' awesome otherwise! :cheers: wish i had the skills and knowledge to pull something off like that. hope it lasts him more than a season!

PS - Why the ancient SID Dual-Air? would be 10x sicker with a DHX Air, IMO (that i'm sure everyone is eager to hear).
Yeah i agree with AlmostHeaven, why the old school shock, DHX air would be better for that type of riding ur prob planning on doing...:pirate2:

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
very very cool. definitely a one off design though. Santa Cruz is super anal about VPP.

plus by the looks of the SID rear shock (looks like the old dual air model) he doesn't have enough money to pay for the VPP patent.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
yea i think they just let him use it, i doubt there worried about one single frame with vpp for personal use.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
yea i think they just let him use it, i doubt there worried about one single frame with vpp for personal use.
Actually, in the US companies need to actively pursue infringement to keep their patents. DW stated if someone built one bike with DW-link he'd track their asses down to ensure security of the patent.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
He said in one of the posts he made in that link that Santa Cruz wasn't worried about it since he was making the frame for himself, and not to sell. I don't know if he actually contacted sc and if he did then I don't know if that was a smart move on sc's part but oh well; it is an awesome looking frame.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
The builder is from Slovakia, so he could probably sell as many frames as he wanted as long as he didn't sell them in the USA.
The frame reminds me most of the Scott Ransom, both are 6" travel all mountain carbon frames.
Cool looking frame, very pleasing to the eye.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You guys do realize he lives in Slovakia....????

He said that he built the links and logo'ed them him self...no way in He11 that Santa Cruz is going to persue a single frame build by the end user ...in Slovikia

There are some pics of the building as well. Interesting that he uses foam for the front but wood for the entire rear end. Seems like a fairly heavy material (does not look like balsa) to simply build the lay up over.

I think I would go with a foam and then disolve it out with some solvent.

The great part with carbon/composite is that anyone can do this type of thing at home (most are just intimidated as carbon seems so 'exotic' and it is not a material that most people have any hands on experience with)....very simple manufacture process that he is using... Wooden jigs and hardware store bolts. No way that the average kid at home could weld an aluminum frame....but with some reading/research anyone could do this type of thing at home..

Cool!!!!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've been following this guys build for awhile on frameforum.
He had the links machined by a shop and then did a lot of extra work on them with manual tools. He said he had the dropouts done in waterjet and then added the pinch bolts himself.

You don't need to license the patent if you aren't going to sell it. It's only infringement if your trying to make money.
I'm sure he won't sell them. It is very hard to make money making bikes by hand.

CarbonMike

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Slovakia
Hi guys,
its me, CarbonMike. It took me almost 3 years to design, engineer and build this carbon frame. I build it for less that 700dolars! But theres ton of handwork.
About that VPP. I dont think that will be problem for SC. THERE WILL BE NO COPY OF THIS FRAME. IT IS NOTHING COMMERCTIAL, NOTHING FOR ,,MONEY MAKING,,. I just love Intense and SantaCrus bikes som much that I decited to build my own for ME. Because I dont have money to JUST buy it. Money is also reason for that oldschool shock. Its easy to buy DHX Air when you have money... I dont have.
About that weight. Of course its bit heavy for carbon fiber frame, but you have to consider that its homemade. Try to build your own and we will see.
About hanger.. it is only for saint. But I will use special remaked SORA.
In the middle of this year Im going to start Evolution II project with DIFFERENT SUSPENSION SYSTEM and with pro technoloogy. I hope it will be beginning of low-scale production. So check www.carbonmike.sk for informations (page is not ready now)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hi guys,
its me, CarbonMike. It took me almost 3 years to design, engineer and build this carbon frame. I build it for less that 700dolars! But theres ton of handwork.
About that VPP. I dont think that will be problem for SC. THERE WILL BE NO COPY OF THIS FRAME. IT IS NOTHING COMMERCTIAL, NOTHING FOR ,,MONEY MAKING,,. I just love Intense and SantaCrus bikes som much that I decited to build my own for ME. Because I dont have money to JUST buy it. Money is also reason for that oldschool shock. Its easy to buy DHX Air when you have money... I dont have.
About that weight. Of course its bit heavy for carbon fiber frame, but you have to consider that its homemade. Try to build your own and we will see.
About hanger.. it is only for saint. But I will use special remaked SORA.
In the middle of this year Im going to start Evolution II project with DIFFERENT SUSPENSION SYSTEM and with pro technoloogy. I hope it will be beginning of low-scale production. So check www.carbonmike.sk for informations (page is not ready now)
Dang, your English is really good. Bike looks great!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
. I just love Intense and SantaCrus bikes som much that I decited to build my own for ME. Because I dont have money to JUST buy it. Money is also reason for that oldschool shock. Its easy to buy DHX Air when you have money... I dont have.)
that was the reason i started making frames too.

looks good mike. on the next one bring some of your own ideas
into it. :pirate2:

CarbonMike

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Slovakia
Thanks guys for your interest and your opinions. I really appreciate that :thumb:
2BCD: Maybe you think that my frame is just some sort of copy, but Im not going to make any revolution or something super difficult or absolutely different from todays bikes. Im conservative guy, and I like conventional looking bikes. No offence man. I hope you understand me :cheers:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
CarbonMike, that is one sweet frame. Congrats on a fantastic home-build. Best one I've seen. Reminds me of a Socom.
As for your English, it's better than some on this forum. Welcome.

CarbonMike

Chimp
Mar 23, 2007
Slovakia
Thanks :) No, frame was made on positive core and all layers were compressed with plastic tape with pinholes. I used MGS L285 resin, 160g/m2 carbon twill fabric and 300g/m2 UD carbon. Number of layers depends... its between 6 to about 15 layers (low/high stress areas). Im working on new version of frame with different suspension type. Im also developing new technology for it.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
Hey Mike, what's your eye-to-eye and stroke on that shock?

By the way, excellent job :clapping: :clapping: Its' one thing to make your own frame, but it's an entirely different thing to make one the rides without snapping in half and make it look beautiful.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Another beautiful hand-crafted carbon enduro from Slovakia. Seems to be a pure carbon version of SC Nomad, costed him sexy 1200 Euro and as he states after one season, it is still not broken. He's raced even on some local DH competition. More info and pix at his www.mwbikes.com.