Quantcast

Shock preference? DPX2 vs. Float X? Other?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I like dvo the air side trips me out a bit with a floating piston and basically a screw on bottom to reduce positive side space ..I like spring load we d negative side though.....dampers are simple on forks I think a bit more plastic and not as refined as charger or grip ...

Seen a couple oddball issues with dvo but I wouldn't hesitate to run their stuff

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Oh, based on everything in this thread, all shocks are shit… so, let’s roll the dice!
no the EXT is rad.
it has an insanely slow low speed rebound feel in the parkinglot like "dude wtf i cant ride this its going to be shit"
you get over 10mph and the rebound feels completely normal and the shock overall feels fantastic! im not exactly sure how this is achieved ive never had one apart.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
no the EXT is rad.
it has an insanely slow low speed rebound feel in the parkinglot like "dude wtf i cant ride this its going to be shit"
you get over 10mph and the rebound feels completely normal and the shock overall feels fantastic! im not exactly sure how this is achieved ive never had one apart.
Think I’ll start with air as this is a more trail oriented build, and go from there. Good to know about that shock though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
no the EXT is rad.
I just sent mine in for refund. 3rd tune and I can't ride over bumps without it trying to fling my butt out of the seat. Literally, with two other shocks, I can ride over the same bumps without being kicked out of the seat. They've lightened the HSC and rebound a lot, but I feel there's something in the shaft direction-transition that is doing this. It's closer to a rigid bike than a FS bike when I ride over chunky stuff, in that you get a FS bike you you can just ride over that stuff while pedaling, not having to "stand and brace" and pause pedaling for everything. For sure, for aggressive downhill stuff, you stand and absorb, but I'm having to stand and absorb everything with my body, in every situation, which is more like riding a hardtail. It just doesn't suck up the sharp/chunky bumps and I don't know why, but I couldn't get it to work and have moved on.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I just sent mine in for refund. 3rd tune and I can't ride over bumps without it trying to fling my butt out of the seat. Literally, with two other shocks, I can ride over the same bumps without being kicked out of the seat. They've lightened the HSC and rebound a lot, but I feel there's something in the shaft direction-transition that is doing this. It's closer to a rigid bike than a FS bike when I ride over chunky stuff, in that you get a FS bike you you can just ride over that stuff while pedaling, not having to "stand and brace" and pause pedaling for everything. For sure, for aggressive downhill stuff, you stand and absorb, but I'm having to stand and absorb everything with my body, in every situation, which is more like riding a hardtail. It just doesn't suck up the sharp/chunky bumps and I don't know why, but I couldn't get it to work and have moved on.

That's really strange.
Two of my friend have them on commencial supreme.. the shocks don't seem "aggressive" at all.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That's really strange.
Two of my friend have them on commencial supreme.. the shocks don't seem "aggressive" at all.
Yeah, I'm at a loss, but when I can ride through bumps with a Marz CR and SD air and the same stuff bucks me on the EXT, the choice is pretty clear. It basically doesn't ride like a coil shock, it can't grip the terrain because it's constantly bucking. I can try to abruptly "sit" on it from a stand when I go over bumps to force it to activate by timing that, but it's super harsh (transmitting) doing that, the other option is to just stand and ride it like a hardtail.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do the low speed rebound and compression adjusters seem functional?
Yes, the range isn't giant, but definitely functional, they go from harsh to unbelievably harsh. I'm not sure why the knobs are there if all they do is make it more harsh. Plus, it was fresh off a re-tune to try and make it work for me again, tried every possible adjuster combo. It seems like the shock does work well for some people...just not me and my bike. They said an option was to remove some sort of low-speed check ball and that it would allow a small amount of oil to pass through the LSC un-regulated, to make it feel plusher and more planted. They ended up not doing this with the last re-tune, but it's been 3 attempts now, so it's time to move on.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
That's really strange.
Agreed. I recently swapped setups on mine from running 30% sag to 28% sag, the first with compression a little bit firmer than middle. When I dropped to 28%, I went to 1 click from open. I hopped on the bike after not riding for a week, and it was so soft I double checked that my tires were at the right pressure (I'd even just topped them off). I can feel a difference between each click of compression.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I just sent mine in for refund. 3rd tune and I can't ride over bumps without it trying to fling my butt out of the seat. Literally, with two other shocks, I can ride over the same bumps without being kicked out of the seat.
Are you having an issue with it riding sitting on the saddle?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yes, the range isn't giant, but definitely functional, they go from harsh to unbelievably harsh. I'm not sure why the knobs are there if all they do is make it more harsh. Plus, it was fresh off a re-tune to try and make it work for me again, tried every possible adjuster combo. It seems like the shock does work well for some people...just not me and my bike. They said an option was to remove some sort of low-speed check ball and that it would allow a small amount of oil to pass through the LSC un-regulated, to make it feel plusher and more planted. They ended up not doing this with the last re-tune, but it's been 3 attempts now, so it's time to move on.
Sounds like the low speed something is too much its too bad they didn't

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I have a history of gushing about the EXT coil.

I recently acquired an Avalanche tuned Bomber CR.

I did back to back testing with the two shocks on a Spire, using the same spring, and the Bomber won hands down. It was more sensitive, yet more supportive, and just made the rear of the bike very calm but not "dead".
The EXT in direct comparison felt a bit more harsh on small stuff, but would then break away and dive into the travel on bigger stuff. It was like ridding on a bubble. Not bad by any means, but for sure not as good as the Bomber. I timed all the runs as well, and the Bomber was always faster. It was faster on the first run than the EXT was on it's 3rd run...and all done up it was a $600 shock.

No more gushing from me.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Are you having an issue with it riding sitting on the saddle?
Well yeah of course, that’s why I have to ride it a bit more like a hard tail and stand a lot more than I want to, but that’s so upsetting to the chassis that I can’t really smash/go fast in rough stuff.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The EXT in direct comparison felt a bit more harsh on small stuff, but would then break away and dive into the travel on bigger stuff. It was like ridding on a bubble.
That seems like a similar description, although my experience seemed more extreme. The "breakaway force" required was just, well, extreme.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Well yeah of course, that’s why I have to ride it a bit more like a hard tail and stand a lot more than I want to, but that’s so upsetting to the chassis that I can’t really smash/go fast in rough stuff.
I'm pretty sure that's the issue. I'd guess the damping tune for riding like that would have to be massively lighter. EXT's design definitely leans on the damper a lot more than others, so I'm not surprised it doesn't work for you.

(Not saying how you ride is wrong, I'm just certain that it's unusual to tune around that style.)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm pretty sure that's the issue. I'd guess the damping tune for riding like that would have to be massively lighter. EXT's design definitely leans on the damper a lot more than others, so I'm not surprised it doesn't work for you.

(Not saying how you ride is wrong, I'm just certain that it's unusual to tune around that style.)
Around what style? It sounds like you are getting the impression that I want to sit all the time?

That's wrong. I don't want to sit all the time. I just don't want to stand all the time either. I didn't buy an FS bike so have to stand all the time. It's also not like the bike is somehow absorbing bumps when I'm standing, it's not, I'm having to do that with my body, to an extent that I feel is way overboard, where I can't really pedal through stuff, I have to absorb, then pedal when past, whether standing or seated. I gave the seated example just because that's one of the most basic aspects of an FS bike I can think of, pedaling along on the flat, some small-ish bumps or roots come up, you just keep pedaling and go right through. You might get out of the seat if they require lofting the front wheel or something, but in general you just keep pedaling or maybe pause very slightly, but the chassis doesn't get so upset that it bucks you or requires you to have to stand just for that. Again, it's like the "breakaway force" to get it to move into the high speed realm is just crazy high, but this is after 3 retunes, so as I said...just time to move on.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have the EXT on a Lithium, so it's not the most progressive frame. I'm a little faster on it than my other bike with an Avalanche Woody. But the Woody is far more comfortable and confident. The EXT skips over the rocks more.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DVO didn’t like being ridden in winter evidently, blown. Luckily a quick trip to True Value for some more length-reducing spacers and I should be good to go for tomorrow.
DCD5299D-3AA0-46CA-8E1B-99BDA3CF11BE.jpeg
9CBC8E24-A276-4683-A566-A6E10CB3BA25.jpeg
89827A0A-D24A-4E95-AA3B-57093D4C5FEC.jpeg

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
So dialling in my Float X2 this weekend and I am definitely within a 1-2 click range now. Bike feels so much better than last weekend, on the same trails. I had way to much LSC, a bad habit from mostly riding flow/jump lines.
I decided to work off Fox’s recommend settings and I have say they are pretty damn good. But I noticed they call for more LSC the higher the psi. In my head I was expecting the opposite. Is this because it is assumed more pressure for a heavier rider? For me it’s about dialling in sag and no change in weight.
Not sure about their recommended LSR, seems insanely slow, and I have always felt I run slower than normal LSR (again, coming from focusing on jump trails). I have been speeding it up the past 2 years now I am riding steeper more natural terrain. Their settings are 7-9 from closed. Last weekend I was up to 13, but backed it off to 11 yesterday and will still be trying 12.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah sag before anything.
I shoot for 33% rear

Rebound initial settings right in the driveway based on when you bunnyhop it does it launch or does it stick to the ground. Gets me pretty close except for with EXT shocks

Compression in the driveway i just want to feel a little LSC

HSR and HSC I usually put in the middle unless I already know something about the shock. Driveway tests don't usually show much HS action.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Yeah, that’s basically my starting points as well. I’m still a little ‘unclear’ on setting HSC/LSR after 20 years of fiddling…
(and I bet I am in good company! :happydance: )

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I am sending an Avy Bomber CR tuned for ye olde original HT to Craig for re-chassis and re-valving for ye not-so-olde Megatower.
Regardless if you like or hate Craig, the Bomber CR is still an amazing deal and a great platform for custom tuning.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Not sure if this is the right thread, but didn't feel like starting a new one.

Short version - The fucking Fox DX2 (derpa...Float X2...) on my 22 Transition Patrol shat the bed after about 10 rides. I am looking for 205 x 60 trunion shock to replace it. What are some good options that are available NOW?

Long version - I was never happy with the performance of the DX2, but that is because in retrospect I think it probablyy started leaking oil into the air chamber by the end of the first ride. I like the idea of having high/low speed adjustments for comp and rebound, but could probably live with less adjustability in exchange for more reliability.

I am also coil-curious and I think the Patrol should be OK with a coil. The only thing that worries me is that the leverage ratio gets less steep towards the end of travel. Should that make me avoid coil? I don't dig the chain ring into the dirt on every ride, but I don't want to lose too much bottom-out resistance.

Any suggestions for coil shocks?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

Short version - The fucking Fox DX2 on my 22 Transition Patrol shat the bed after about 10 rides. I am looking for 205 x 60 trunion shock to replace it. What are some good options that are available NOW?

Long version - I was never happy with the performance of the DX2, but that is because in retrospect I think it probablyy started leaking oil into the air chamber by the end of the first ride. I like the idea of having high/low speed adjustments for comp and rebound, but could probably live with less adjustability in exchange for more reliability.

I am also coil-curious and I think the Patrol should be OK with a coil. The only thing that worries me is that the leverage ratio gets less steep towards the end of travel. Should that make me avoid coil? I don't dig the chain ring into the dirt on every ride, but I don't want to lose too much bottom-out resistance.

I assume you mean the Fox Float X2? That shock is a nightmare.

I recommend the Fox Float X for air, or DHX for coil.They are best bang for your buck shocks in the current crop.

Ohlins coil is good as well, but a bit pricier and tend to be on the "more damped" side of the spectrum.

The Marzocchi Bomber CR is the cheapest option out there for a coil. It is somewhat limited in stock form, but can be amazing when tuned by Avalanche.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I'll chime in.

Good buddy works for S4 suspension.
Avoid DVO, CC air and X2.
They have seen very very few Float X.

I went with it for my Scout. I was able to set it up within a couple rides. It lack a bit of mid stroke support. Nothing that can be fixed when I get its first service done.

@dump did you finally get that trailbike?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver

Short version - The fucking Fox DX2 (derpa...Float X2...) on my 22 Transition Patrol shat the bed after about 10 rides. I am looking for 205 x 60 trunion shock to replace it. What are some good options that are available NOW?

I tried looking it up but I can't find the leverage curve for the Patrol, so all I can compare it to is the Process X which also came with an air shock. Kona said the leverage on the Process X was 'progressive' and based on the curve, it looked progressive. But compared to an actual progressive bike like the Megatower V1, the Process' curve wasn't that steep - it all depends on how the manufacturer stretches the Y and X axis. I tried an Ohlins coil shock with normal spring and that was 'okay' but didn't feel right while riding downhill. I then installed a progressive CC spring and that solved it: It's awesome now.

A progressive coil may be a solution depending on which shock you go with.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I tried looking it up but I can't find the leverage curve for the Patrol, so all I can compare it to is the Process X which also came with an air shock. Kona said the leverage on the Process X was 'progressive' and based on the curve, it looked progressive. But compared to an actual progressive bike like the Megatower V1, the Process' curve wasn't that steep - it all depends on how the manufacturer stretches the Y and X axis. I tried an Ohlins coil shock with normal spring and that was 'okay' but didn't feel right while riding downhill. I then installed a progressive CC spring and that solved it: It's awesome now.

A progressive coil may be a solution depending on which shock you go with.
On a L/XL Patrol that's ~23% progression. Coil shock should be ok.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Thanks, guys!

Ohlins in 205 x 65 is out of stock everywhere and I "need" something now...I'd like to be able to ride next week.

I can locally pick up a Formula MOD. It looks like I can get a Fox DHX or DHX2 by Monday mail order if I order this morning. @Redwood Mulch Chucker any reason you mentione DHX and not DHX2?

It looks like I can also get the PUSH 11-6 locally, but that seems a little excessive. I am not racing...just plowing PNW chunder...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Thanks, guys!

Ohlins in 205 x 65 is out of stock everywhere and I "need" something now...I'd like to be able to ride next week.

I can locally pick up a Formula MOD. It looks like I can get a Fox DHX or DHX2 by Monday mail order if I order this morning. @Redwood Mulch Chucker any reason you mentione DHX and not DHX2?

It looks like I can also get the PUSH 11-6 locally, but that seems a little excessive. I am not racing...just plowing PNW chunder...

This place has two, out of Missouri:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Air suggestion of SDU?