Quantcast

Shock preference? DPX2 vs. Float X? Other?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I know jack about shocks. The little I do know is 20 years old, and all I remember is "don't huck over 6ft to flat too much or you might blow your shock". These are the choices. What do you recommend?

FOX Performance Elite DPX2 EVOL LV 3POS 210x55
or
FOX FLOAT X Performance Elite 210-55 2022
or
FOX FLOAT X Factory 210-55 2022

None of the above is also fine.
Thanks.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
This.
I’m waiting for a Float X, but it could be in ‘23. :feminist:

The machining on the inside of the Float X is gorgeous.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Float X Performance Elite hands down.
Awesome shock, I have pulled quite a few apart now. Very easy to tune.

Look on PB classified if you want a deal. Any 210 can be a 55mm stroke, you just have to take off the air can and remove the spacers. People haven't fully caught on yet, get a brand new take off for half price!

Oct 29, 2007
the float X is a nice looking shock inside, bonus points for ease of changing stroke. still has the same (?) chromed steel shaft that seemed to cause the issues in the dpx2 however. the jury is still out on that one. for what its worth i get along great with any flavor of the rs super deluxe. easy to work on and you can find them cheap.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Anyone try a DVO Topaz T3? Seem like they’re a good option.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've actually gotten to the point/tune where my vorsprung SD air is working pretty well. It took a re-tune, but I thought it worked pretty well my last time in AZ over the winter on chunky stuff. The nice thing about the SD is it's very easy to work on, fairly modular design, made for home-bleeds. I'm going to be in the market again though for a front-line coil shock for enduro. Thinking probably DHX2, but not sure. The Bomber CR I have is intended to be my backup...works decent though.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone here gotten the Vorsprung Tractive Tune? Any feedback?

My Mega has the new RS HotDog high flow piston or whatever it is. When I enquired about the Tractive tune I was told that it only works with the stock piston so they'd have to change that. I've actually got an old SD that I can use as a donor for the piston to save some money, so I'm tempted to try the Tractive tune when I get the shock rebuilt next.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Anyone here gotten the Vorsprung Tractive Tune? Any feedback?

My Mega has the new RS HotDog high flow piston or whatever it is. When I enquired about the Tractive tune I was told that it only works with the stock piston so they'd have to change that. I've actually got an old SD that I can use as a donor for the piston to save some money, so I'm tempted to try the Tractive tune when I get the shock rebuilt next.
I've had two. First was on a super deluxe air that came stock on a '19 Bronson. Stock it would kick on hard compressions, after the Tractive tune it was mint. Second was on a super deluxe coil that I had tuned to go on the Bronson MX. Initial compression tune was too soft, retune has been perfect.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I must be one of the few where my experience with the Tractive tune on my SD Air was 'meh' at best. First tune was with the stock linkage on my Megatower. Let's just say there was no difference between the climb switch being on or off. It was harsh. Installed a CCDB Air and it was night and day difference. Got a Cascade link and sent the SD Air for a retune. It was a little better but the CCDB ultimately went back on.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If I can find anyone in the US that will service Formula suspension I'd love to try their MOD stuff. Their process for changing tunes is really simple -

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I must be one of the few where my experience with the Tractive tune on my SD Air was 'meh' at best. First tune was with the stock linkage on my Megatower. Let's just say there was no difference between the climb switch being on or off. It was harsh. Installed a CCDB Air and it was night and day difference. Got a Cascade link and sent the SD Air for a retune. It was a little better but the CCDB ultimately went back on.

Was it worse than the stock tune at all? They do say the lever changes become a lot more subtle in the documentation, but I don't use my lockout anyway so I'm not too worried.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Was it worse than the stock tune at all? They do say the lever changes become a lot more subtle in the documentation, but I don't use my lockout anyway so I'm not too worried.
In the end it still comes down to the tuner. The Tractive database should make it easier for them, but they still need to match the tune to what you're telling them. Hence on one of my shocks it took two tries.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I repaired 3 float X2 2021 shocks last week all 3 cavitation and all had air or nitrogen in oil...all were under 4 months old...did a few last month same thing...it's the 2021 x2 floats....got one now that the rebound rod broke at vvc propeller on piston so ordered the vvc tool cause I'm lazy and parts for his shock...

Not a huge fan seem to be seeing alot of fox issues do a ton of servicing and they are fine but the 2021 float X2 seems to have seal issues...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got 2 ccdb coils on 2 of the bikes and your avalanche on the m9...won't be doing air on rear any time soon (or until I get a screaming deal on latest and greatest)...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Anyone try a DVO Topaz T3? Seem like they’re a good option.
Got one on bench serving tomorrow...did a few and they are a pretty straight forward design haven't had one with issues yet..see alot of others but the DVOs have been solid....don't get alot even with a good amount of em here in socal...when I do they are usually overdo for servicing, dirty @$$ oil and still working...

And yes I could have multi quoted but I'm too FNg tired today to think more...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I repaired 3 float X2 2021 shocks last week all 3 cavitation and all had air or nitrogen in oil...all were under 4 months old...did a few last month same thing...it's the 2021 x2 floats....got one now that the rebound rod broke at vvc propeller on piston so ordered the vvc tool cause I'm lazy and parts for his shock...

Not a huge fan seem to be seeing alot of fox issues do a ton of servicing and they are fine but the 2021 float X2 seems to have seal issues...
I still think the X2 float is the best air shock I've felt, although I haven't tried the Ohlins and the new EXT sounds cool. But everyone I know who has bought an X2 in the past two years (like 8 people now) has had it blow or get air in the damper. The air cans seem robust, just the dampers let go. The X2 coils don't seem to have the same issue.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

Are you vaccum bleeding them?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Are you vaccum bleeding them?
Nope...I do have a vaccume bleeder though. They are easy with glove technique..actually prefer the method it's faster and I can get all the air out .
The shocks that were blown weren't rebuilt they were less than 4 months old...I haven't had any issues In any of the shocks I've done and it's ALOT...Did have one that managed to hide some air behind the circuits in head...so I vaccum bled it and no issue..I pulled the adjusters out and even soaked em.up as well as filled cavity with oil to eliminate hiding spots...always works but this one was dying to be vaccum bled apparently.