Quantcast

Shock preference? DPX2 vs. Float X? Other?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I like the Ohlins and the Formula Mod currently.
How's the parts availability for the Formula? Are they serviceable at home? I'm not close to changing my ohlins but I know a few mates are looking at formulas after hearing some great reviews

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
How's the parts availability for the Formula? Are they serviceable at home? I'm not close to changing my ohlins but I know a few mates are looking at formulas after hearing some great reviews
I don’t know about any of that yet. I just got it and I like how it feels but I’ve only ridden it a couple of times.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Dude! Thanks!

It looks like they can get my order to UPS today.
Wider adjustment range
The updated shock’s blue trail high-speed compression valve now provides a wider adjustment range. Importantly, this gives the rider more distinct alternatives to choose between when customizing setup. This new wider range also adds support in the pedal mode, making the bike a more efficient climber. The golden DH compression valve retains the same adjustment range as the original, which is already perfectly optimized for gravity riding.
Be aware, this is not what needs a wider range. The rebound adjuster has something like only 5 clicks and narrow range. THAT is what needs to be wider. It's a good shock, but likely needs a tune to perform correctly, given this as the biggest restriction IMO.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Thanks, guys!

Ohlins in 205 x 65 is out of stock everywhere and I "need" something now...I'd like to be able to ride next week.

I can locally pick up a Formula MOD. It looks like I can get a Fox DHX or DHX2 by Monday mail order if I order this morning. @Redwood Mulch Chucker any reason you mentione DHX and not DHX2?

It looks like I can also get the PUSH 11-6 locally, but that seems a little excessive. I am not racing...just plowing PNW chunder...
DHX is more tunable, not a twin tube design with spring backed base valve circuit, has a larger damper shaft (12.7mm vs 9.5mm) with a much longer bushing interface, and is cheaper.

Especially with a trunnion mount I would be concerned about durability/strength with a coil shock.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
DVO has big shafts on their coil shocks and I installed mine on a clevis bike (Meta AM '20) without any durability issues. BUT!!

JADE X has been ultra reliable and worked awesomely for 2 years/100 hours (I need to rebuild it and install the even stronger black HD shaft just to be safer). I'll do it myself with their DIY manuals (a nice thing).

regular JADE has been total shit! I sent it 3 times to DVO USA (no joke). First time , the compression adjuster was stuck. Came back, fitted it, it knocked. Like WTF?! Sent it back, got the HD black shaft installed, paid for parts, they rebuilt it, I re-installed it, seemed fine. Leaked oil from the compression cap, while in use or not. WTF again. Sent it for a 3rd time (!), it came back an they cut the stickers on the shock with a knife and it now looks like shit. It has like 6 hours total ride time since I bought it (new). I will re-install if for this summer while I service the Jade X, hoping that it will not leak, knock and just work. Even the DVO NZ distributer told me he hasn't sold any regular Jade since the Jade X has come out, probably because they're so unreliable.

So yeah, the JADE X could be a good option, but I'd be looking at Ohlins now, and that's probably what I'll get when both my DVOs are broken in a few years.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've got a '23 SD Ultimate Coil coming that I want to compare back to back with my EXT Storia. I've generally liked the Storia, but it's a pain in the butt sending it in to Utah to get serviced, as opposed to dropping it off at a local guy. The new ones have HBO even, and I like the range of adjustment on my '23 Zeb. Apparently they designed the range of adjustments so that from center, full open or full closed corresponds to stepping up or down 1 full tune. So my gut feeling is that I'll be able to dial it in really quickly to a feeling I like, be easy to get serviced, but weigh a bit more of the EXT.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I think I might have farked up and posted a link to a regular eyelet version, not the trunnion. :(

Maybe call them..
All good! It isn’t super clear on their website what is what, so I called them before I ordered…

Good customer experience so far. We’ll see how soon the brown santa can get it here.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'll chime in.

Good buddy works for S4 suspension.
Avoid DVO, CC air and X2.
They have seen very very few Float X.

I went with it for my Scout. I was able to set it up within a couple rides. It lack a bit of mid stroke support. Nothing that can be fixed when I get its first service done.

@dump did you finally get that trailbike?
I did last spring. Went DVO in the end. Was just fine last year. Have an ohlins 36 to try on the front, but I’ve been lazy.

5737C91B-F574-4541-8C27-22E825A7EAA8.jpeg
85827489-4662-4C1F-A91B-681BB0750BB1.jpeg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Thanks, guys!

Ohlins in 205 x 65 is out of stock everywhere and I "need" something now...I'd like to be able to ride next week.

I can locally pick up a Formula MOD. It looks like I can get a Fox DHX or DHX2 by Monday mail order if I order this morning. @Redwood Mulch Chucker any reason you mentione DHX and not DHX2?

It looks like I can also get the PUSH 11-6 locally, but that seems a little excessive. I am not racing...just plowing PNW chunder...
i have an older push on my nomad. don't race but do plow! no complaints. there was a rockshox superdeluxe on it when i got it. actually felt decent. do they come in trunion? could be a good readily available budget option.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Ok so my new, just-serviced for the 3rd time Jade still leaks and rebound is fucked :butcher: so I'm going to buy something else. Jade X has been ultra reliable and works great with my Meta AM. I want to stay with a coil, so I need a thick or steel shaft. EXT is out of price, so now I'm hesitating between Jade X (900$cdn, custom built by DVO NZ) or a stock Ohlins TTXM2 (1100$cdn).
What's your pick ? Any good/bad experiences with the Ohlins? I just got an RXF 36 M2 so it would make for a great combo I'd guess, but I still have the Diamond on the bike. Cheers!

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Not on your list, but the '23 Super Deluxe is really good. I was on EXT for a couple years, then decided to try the RS after I got a new bike this year. Also had my old EXT retuned for the bike, and just liked the feel of the SD better. Maybe gives up a tiny bit on absolute traction, but feels a lot more lively and is really easy to dial in.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ok so my new, just-serviced for the 3rd time Jade still leaks and rebound is fucked :butcher: so I'm going to buy something else. Jade X has been ultra reliable and works great with my Meta AM. I want to stay with a coil, so I need a thick or steel shaft. EXT is out of price, so now I'm hesitating between Jade X (900$cdn, custom built by DVO NZ) or a stock Ohlins TTXM2 (1100$cdn).
What's your pick ? Any good/bad experiences with the Ohlins? I just got an RXF 36 M2 so it would make for a great combo I'd guess, but I still have the Diamond on the bike. Cheers!
I got a new Marzocchi Bomber CR for $300cdn from Lama Cycles earlier this year, might be another option? If you can find one...

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah the problem with the yoke-driven shock on my Meta is that they snap shafts and the Bomber CR isn't "approved". I've seen snapped DHX2s and Cane Creeks so I'm playing it safe. Commencal even told me that the DVO were not "approved" by their engineers and to stay with what they offered stock. Since they had an Ohlins coil edition, it's probably safe. Thanks for the idea anyway!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think DVO finally got the tune right or fixed my Jade on my Mutz, it's been running pretty well finally...but it took a while. Going to try the X on the canfield.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I saw that you had issues with yours too, glad they finally sorted it out! I've sent them mine 3 times in a year already and every time it came back with a different fuck up so I'm giving up. I'll keep it for parts and to try my hand at rebuilding it/playing with shims. That will have been an expensive endeavor to end up with a rebuild practice shock but oh well.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My ohlins is getting retuned…so hopefully the jade X will be more of a backup.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Returned because the tune didn't suit your bike, or because it didn't work well/was not reliable?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Returned because the tune didn't suit your bike, or because it didn't work well/was not reliable?
Getting a frame bag installed.

:D

(edit: In fairness, I have a TT bag on my XC race bike and a TT, frame and feedbag normally installed on my HT)

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah the problem with the yoke-driven shock on my Meta is that they snap shafts and the Bomber CR isn't "approved". I've seen snapped DHX2s and Cane Creeks so I'm playing it safe. Commencal even told me that the DVO were not "approved" by their engineers and to stay with what they offered stock. Since they had an Ohlins coil edition, it's probably safe. Thanks for the idea anyway!
RockShox has a guide somewhere as to what combination of shock stroke + yoke length is OK for the SD Coil. I know that it is structurally OK for the SJ Evo and Levo, which are also notorious yoke-based shock destroyers.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I did not, but I assume it is because it adds a varible to solve my shock search equation they know that I like to not take the easy way and overthink things.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Everybody laughs at my too many pivots Knolly's. :think:
But hell, my experience over 6 frames is they are easy on shocks, that extra linkage does not act like a yoke crowbar. :blah:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Everybody laughs at my too many pivots Knolly's. :think:
But hell, my experience over 6 frames is they are easy on shocks, that extra linkage does not act like a yoke crowbar. :blah:
They're also great on the shock damper as you don't need much compression or rebound damping once the pivots get so much drag the back end of the bike acts as its own damper.