Quantcast

Session 88 Frameset Build

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
So I finally got this damn thing finished, after ordering it back in October. As far as I know, it's one of the first Session 88 framesets to come into the U.S. FYI, if anyone else wants one, my shop got two of them from Trek (out of less than 10 coming into the States), and still has one in stock. They gave me an insanely low price on the thing, and I'd love to send them more business, so PM or Email me if you're interested.

As for Specs, here you go:
Frame: Session 88 Size M
Shock: DHX 5.0 w/RCS Ti Spring
Fork: 2010 Boxxer WC
Wheels (Race): Stan's ZTR Flows, laced to Hope Pro 2's with DT Alpine 3 spokes
Wheels (Everyday): Azonic Outlaws w/ghetto tubeless
Tires: Minion DHF 2.5, UST, DH Casing
Cranks: Gravity Lites (last set survived 2 years, despite everyone else's horror stories)
Pedals: Wellgo Mags
Saddle/Post: SDG I-Beam
Brakes: Old School Saints (Chainlove cheapies)
Shifter: X9 Twisters, baby. 8-Spd!
Rear Der: X9 Super short
Cassette: 11-28 8-spd
Chain: Some Sram 8-spd job
Stem: e13 Ali
Bars: Gravity Carbon
Chainguide: e13 LG1+ (Thanks for getting me sorted, Jonas!)
Chainring: e13 36T guide ring (going on 5 seasons on the same ring)
Headset: Cane Creek stock headset on Session
Grips: Lockon Ruffians

Anyway, the bike fits perfectly on my 5'9" frame. I'm still breaking in the fork, but the rear suspension feels great. The frame itself is an amazing piece of engineering, and it sort of reminds you how much horsepower a company with pockets as deep as Trek can throw at a project - every single tube on there (other than the ~5" seat tube) appears to be some sort of crazy custom extrusion. Pictures don't do it justice.

Oh, and I know many of the super badass guys on this forum would say this is incredibly gay to even mention, but it's an RCH over 34.5 pounds.

Flame on!!

--JP

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
how big a boy are you? 175 geared up for me.

i have a 450 on my frame and i am thinking of going to a 400?

I really guess i should finish my build and ride it first before i worry about that?

Looks nice tho

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Looks good JP.

....those bars looking a little Peter Fonda Easy Rider though....maybe it's just the pic.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
how big a boy are you? 175 geared up for me.

i have a 450 on my frame and i am thinking of going to a 400?

I really guess i should finish my build and ride it first before i worry about that?

Looks nice tho
I'm about the same weight - 160 after a good duke, but 175 geared up. I like the 450 and will probably use it for racing. For just duffing around the bike park, I'll probably swap out to a 400.

Looks good JP.

....those bars looking a little Peter Fonda Easy Rider though....maybe it's just the pic.
LOL. Yeah, it's just the look of those things. I put them up right next to a set of Sunline V1 low-rises, and they're almost exactly the same rise. The Gravity's have a pretty traditional bend, and the Sunlines have more of an upsweep that eventually gets them to the same height.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
nice job on the gripshift

try swapping out the grip for the X0 grip..ive found it makes a big difference.

my buddy has been trying to get a complete medium bike direct from Trek, but they said they are sold out until 2010 models, so he got the 88 FR

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Quite the change from that Shocker, looks good!
Thanks! It's 7 lbs lighter than the Cove with a very similar build!

im talking about just the rubber grip itself. it just replaces the smooth X9 rubber grip w/ the heavy textured one.
it helps in muddy and wet conditions and make overall shifter easier
Oh, I get ya. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Thanks for the tip!

where'd you get the boxxstar? Quite a mix, between the old school saints and the unobtainium boxxer10. any riding time yet?
I got the Boxxer through a shop when QBP still had them. They're definitely hard to come by.

As for the old/new school, I've always loved the feel, pivot placement, and durability of those Saints, plus they were super cheap through Chainlove - $200 for the whole set, front and rear.

As for riding, I've only really done a couple quick trail rides and some training intervals on the road, so I've still got a lot of breaking in/dialing in to do. Something tells me I'm going to be making a lot of adjustments between practice runs at Massanutten next weekend.