Quantcast

Sam's crash (different angle)

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
he looked like a rag doll at the end. thankfully snow is soft and cuddly
that snow wasnt, he must of hit it pretty hard to make it splash

edit: lots of people crashed there in practise trying to huck it, i think everyone is surprised that sam crashes like that and only ends up 5 seconds down when alot of people were struggling to hit qualifying times

Last edited:

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Sam go boom! Best angle so far. Still can't fathom how he was just over 5 sec. off the pace after that...let alone get back up and finish. He's definitely not human.
Nope, he isnt human, he's an Australian! Tough as an old boot, tough as nails :biggrin:

plus when he falls, he doesnt cry and run around waving his hands in the air yelling, I crashed, I crashed, look at me I crashed. Nope, he just gets back on with it, the way it should be :clapping:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
plus when he falls, he doesnt cry and run around waving his hands in the air yelling, I crashed, I crashed, look at me I crashed. Nope, he just gets back on with it, the way it should be :clapping:
If one good thing comes out of that crash, I hope it's seeing less riders give up after a minor bobble. To see a guy take a smash like that and get back into a run like it was a minor set back makes me embarrassed for anytime I took a hit and rolled out the rest of my run.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
plus when he falls, he doesnt cry and run around waving his hands in the air yelling, I crashed, I crashed, look at me I crashed
I don't care what you say, that's how I handle it when I go down. Hell, I even have some bottle rockets and marine flares I use to make sure people know I got worked.

For real, Sam is a tough mutha for pinning it the rest of the way. I know lots of good racers that have actually beaten me, even after a crash (not saying much tho). It ain't over until Karl Rove sings...

That said, after that spill (even into snow), I would've probably sat down and cried...But not a big cry...More like a "Marley and Me" tearing up...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
http://iamspecialized.com/gravity/rider/sam-hill#/blog

We just got finished with the 3rd round of the world cups, I felt really good all week and qualified 1st with a very mellow run so i was confident going into the finals today. Unfortunatly I had a big crash during my run, I was 1.8 seconds faster at the first split which was only 45 seconds into the course so I was definatly on a good run. I just went off a drop a little too fast and pushed down to stay lower, I ended up landing on my front wheel a bit heavy and went over the front end. It was probably one of the biggest crashes I have ever had and I am lucky to have been able to get back up. When i was crashing I was headed right into a huge rock which I somehow missed, then missed a big stump and landed in a snow bank. I bent my bars, pushed my front brake lever up and got snow which covered most of my goggle vision and that sucked for the rest of my run, I was still trying to push it the rest of the way down. I was just trying to salvage as many points for the championship as I could. I ended up in 31st position only 5.5 seconds off 1st. It is nice knowing I have the speed to win, I just need to keep it together next time. There are still 5 races to go and a lot can happen between now and then so I am staying positive and will keep riding as fast as I can.

Brendan had a solid result today with 7th place, he was not feeling too good during practice so it's cool he put down a good run in the finals. I am now 5th overall and Bren is 7th so we got pushed back a little but will be on the hunt in Ft William.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Who gives a ****, he crashed hard because he can't just win he has to try and destroy people. Peaty became an even bigger legend this past weekend, stop focusing on the fact that Sam can't stay upright.

What is wrong with trying to win? Sam said he took a mellow quli run, how does he know his competition didn't do the same?

You're just jealous because you ride like a hack all of the time at half the speed he does.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Hopefully Sam's not becoming the Bodie Miller of the bike world, you know, more talented and faster than everybody else but with a penchant to explode in pressure situations? Don't get me wrong, Sam and Gee are my favorite riders to watch and I hope Sam goes on to prove me wrong, but it does seem like he kinda rides with a chip on his shoulder some times and it has cost him a couple races, but maybe it's just bad luck. of course, i'd pay a million dollars to be able to ride like him so what do I know. :bonk:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Hopefully Sam's not becoming the Bodie Miller of the bike world, you know, more talented and faster than everybody else but with a penchant to explode in pressure situations? Don't get me wrong, Sam and Gee are my favorite riders to watch and I hope Sam goes on to prove me wrong, but it does seem like he kinda rides with a chip on his shoulder some times and it has cost him a couple races, but maybe it's just bad luck. of course, i'd pay a million dollars to be able to ride like him so what do I know. :bonk:
come on....

Sam has Rainbows, Sam has world cup titles, Sam has MANY world cup wins. He is beyond legit and has the accolades to back up his pin it or die attitude...I know Bodie Miller and sir, he is no Bode Miller.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
For someone to take a crash like that and still only be 5 seconds off is straight amazing. Sam is still young. He's one of the fastest in the world. He's still learning a lot about himself. Can't take anything away from him. I'm no nuthugger, but he still deserves credit for getting up and still rippin it. He's pretty lucky he didn't get mangled from that crash. Good thing there was snow there. He probably just needs to turn it down a notch.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Sam go boom! Best angle so far. Still can't fathom how he was just over 5 sec. off the pace after that...let alone get back up and finish. He's definitely not human.
Just going to throw it out there, these boys are only at the top because they can crash super hard and get away lightly or atleast not let the injury worry them.

This shouldn't be so amazing after Fort William in 2007 when Greg went down and dislocated his shoulder and broke his scapula 2 minutes into his run and still finnished only 8 seconds off the pace after 2 mintutes 20 secs of Fort William torturing his wrecked shoulder. Props to Sam getting up and finnishing but it wasn't THAT big of a deal compared to some of the other stuff that has happened in the past

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Grow up dude, you're just plain lame. You're an old man who talks **** on the internet, you've never once said anything to my face. I have no problem with you but you continue to be a moron, I haven't whined about my "little baby crash" I raced and didn't do all that bad for not being able to pedal. The next day I couldn't move my leg and went to the doctor to get it checked out. They thought that I fractured a vertabrae, most have been a little baby crash huh? Turns out I bruised 2 bones and tore some muscles in my lower back, great big deal I'm racing this weekend. Get over yourself and shut your mouth or say it to my face.

you are a loud mouth high school kid who has a lot to learn.... sucks you are hurt. maybe it is karma for posting online that your were going to "diablow for another poorly run race". you are a class act.... heal up.

you make a complete ass of yourself more than you know... just trying to help ya out.

george just calls it like he (and a lot of others) see it

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Just going to throw it out there, these boys are only at the top because they can crash super hard and get away lightly or atleast not let the injury worry them.
Yeah. I'm sure that's the ONLY reason they are the best in the world. I'm sure that if we all wore sumo suits, we'd all be up there with the rest of them too since we'd be able to crash super hard and get away lightly.

Also, that video looks like Sam was out of control when he went flying off the bike. It's not like he did some kind of ninja flip that sent him to the snow bank. I'm not so sure he had time to think about how he was going to rag doll off the bike at that speed and land in the snow safely.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
and yes, that was a very nasty crash. But I would expect any top World Cup racer to get up as fast and pin the rest of their race run, however I doubt as many would have finished only 5-6 seconds down. Amazing and so is Peaty and anyone else that can win a World Cup race. The talent level and the level of competition presently is off the wall.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
come on Dave, I've blocked this kid so I wouldn't have to read his rubbish and there you go quoting him. :plthumbsdown:

I won't say anything to his face because I simply refuse to talk to him

He just doesn't get it. :disgust1:
george, i wont talk to you because i think you are ugly :cheers:

and because you are going to canada instead of the open, and will not be sharing labbats with me at the finish line

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
You're not one to talk... It's obvious your brother got all the good-looking genes. :disgust1:

And yes I'm just in a pissy mood since I'm not going to be drinking Labatts at the finish line either.
how are those hill's in wisconsin treating you :biggrin:

another year, and no US Open ?

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Hill should´ve flipped it. A rodeo, d-spin, backflippin´ or just a clean 360. Crashin on a clean huck is ladyish.

He is fast though. That´s cool enough.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Road bike's been getting more use than my DH bike. The winters are brutal and there are no hills here, but the cost of living is cheap, food is great and the beer is amazing. I've actually had the miles to travel, but spent most of last summer either in China/Korea or at trade shows. Hopefully this summer will be different.

Wife's 10 year reunion is this weekend, so I get to go hang out with an entire college full of women. :brows:

*sigh*

I'd rather be at the Open...