Quantcast

Sam's crash (different angle)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Road bike's been getting more use than my DH bike. The winters are brutal and there are no hills here, but the cost of living is cheap, food is great and the beer is amazing. I've actually had the miles to travel, but spent most of last summer either in China/Korea or at trade shows. Hopefully this summer will be different.

Wife's 10 year reunion is this weekend, so I get to go hang out with an entire college full of women. :brows:

*sigh*

I'd rather be at the Open...

Let me know if you ever make it back down to NJ to ride... I'll be sure to have some cold beers ready :cheers:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
come on....

Sam has Rainbows, Sam has world cup titles, Sam has MANY world cup wins. He is beyond legit and has the accolades to back up his pin it or die attitude...I know Bodie Miller and sir, he is no Bode Miller.
it's not even fair to compare them. anyone who is a skilled alpine skier and skilled gravity MTB rider knows that there's no comparison. Bode Miller is an amazing athlete with incredible strength and perhaps the best recovery skills/agility of anyone who's raced alpine skiing events. There is nobody riding World Cup DH who rides in a manner that resembles Bode's skiing style, but perhaps the "legend" of Mick Hannah's prior always-blows-up racing style comes closest.

Sam Hill is a highly skilled and technically advanced rider. In American ski racing the nearest analog would probably be Ted Ligety. Definitely not Bode Miller. Bode's an amazing athlete but he gets results from his athleticism, not his refined technical skills.

blah blah blah... back to the crash. I don't see how he lost 10 seconds there. his crash took less than a full second to happen, no more than 3 seconds total downtime before he was back descending. I know he's famous for crushing people with huge spans of time, but he wasn't down for 10 secs here, not even close.

Last edited:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
blah blah blah... back to the crash. I don't see how he lost 10 seconds there. his crash took less than a full second to happen, no more than 3 seconds total downtime before he was back descending. I know he's famous for crushing people with huge spans of time, but he wasn't down for 10 secs here, not even close.
It is easy to ride with bent handlebars, a front lever brake in the wrong position, and goggles covered in snow. :rolleyes:

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
i think the 10 seconds of the crash also involves the getting back up to the speed prior to the crash. So if you factor that in, then 10 seconds, or 8-10 seems reasonable as the whole endeavor ate up 8-10 seconds compared to if he hadn't crashed there.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
It is easy to ride with bent handlebars, a front lever brake in the wrong position, and goggles covered in snow. :rolleyes:
I wasn't even talking about that. but anyway, man -- it's okay to notice that the stories making up big excuses for him are just that... making up big excuses for him. of course a bent bar and ganked brake lever slow you down. they don't mean you get to just pick "10 seconds" out of the air and say that's what he lost.

more of the stupid flu, I guess. I mean, what else makes time automatically go FASTER just because it's Sam Hill who crashed?

10 seconds is a long time, and I doubt his crash + back to what he thought was his possible speed took him 10 seconds. but hell, as long as people are making stuff up... why not say he lost 30 seconds, and make him unbelievably fast on that post-crash section?

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wasn't even talking about that. but anyway, man -- it's okay to notice that the stories making up big excuses for him are just that... making up big excuses for him. of course a bent bar and ganked brake lever slow you down. they don't mean you get to just pick "10 seconds" out of the air and say that's what he lost.

more of the stupid flu, I guess. I mean, what else makes time automatically go FASTER just because it's Sam Hill who crashed?

10 seconds is a long time, and I doubt his crash + back to what he thought was his possible speed took him 10 seconds. but hell, as long as people are making stuff up... why not say he lost 30 seconds, and make him unbelievably fast on that post-crash section?
Were you there? Do you know how much momentum the next section took? Do you realize how much time he actually lost not going full speed?

Some of us were, and do.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Were you there? Do you know how much momentum the next section took? Do you realize how much time he actually lost not going full speed?

Some of us were, and do.
Please don't do this. Arguments from citation to false authority don't work.

"10 Seconds" is a guess, nothing more. You can cite your expertise all day, but that changes nothing.

The crash footage gives some idea as to the accuracy of the "10 seconds." You'd really have to start the time clock running around 3-4 seconds before he crests the hill -- meaning, starting it before he even lands, let alone crashes -- to get 10 seconds. But don't take my word for it. Watch it on replay.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You have no idea how a downhill race actually takes place, do you?

Again, you were not there, you do not know the next 20 seconds of the course. Those of us who were there do.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Ride with a friend on the road at 30mph... Then stop for 3 seconds while your friend continues on... Then sprint back up to speed and see how many seconds ahead your buddy is.... That's how much time you lost.

Time on the ground is not equal to time on the track... Sam lost 8 to 10 seconds (granted he was up by almost 2)... He put in a great effort to at least score some points.

Steve peat won... That's all that matters

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Wonder how many of the other 80 guys racing saw this vid and thought "wow, even with that crash he smoked that section faster than I did"?

-ska todd

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Wonder how many of the other 80 guys racing saw this vid and thought "wow, even with that crash he smoked that section faster than I did"?

-ska todd
exactly,

but because of this crash he didnt win this world cup and is not current world champ because of a crash, no matter how much faster he was than everyone else in the field.

I think Sam is going to surprise a lot of people in Canberra,

But peaty is king at the moment, results dont lie!

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
is sam at risk of not contending for the overall this year with that placing? with how tight last year turned out, he might be out of the overall race.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
is sam at risk of not contending for the overall this year with that placing? with how tight last year turned out, he might be out of the overall race.
I think that really depends on where his competitors finish the remaining 5 races.
ie if peaty finishes top 5 for the rest of the season and hill wins all of the remaining world cup races i think (i havent done the math) Peaty would take out the overall

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Having a crash is always going to be one of those 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' situations, but it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that the time lost isn't just the difference in time between when you were last on the bike to when you get back on.

I'm going to speculate on what time Hill might have had, but looking at that crash you can clearly write off at least a second prior to even crashing just whilst he was losing control. Add smash time, regathering time and most importantly - the time taken to return to the speed prior to the crash, and you've easily gotten to 10 seconds.

A crash in a slow section is a lot easier to recover from simply because you don't take so long to return to your previous speed. Looking at the rate of knots he was moving prior to that smash and then imagine how long it would take to sprint back up to that speed...

istratetm

Chimp
Jan 19, 2009
sam is amzing. even if people are gonna jump on me sayin' i'm a fanboy, sam is the best right now. no one can touch him on tehnical courses, but racing is about being consistent during your run and he didn't seem to have the consistency. at the moment peaty's experience paid off. go Steve!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I think the guy claiming that Sam didn't lose 10 seconds has never raced a Dh race.
Eh, yup. I'd usually estimate my own time lost in a crash was between 5-7sec, between going from full speed to off the bike stopped, to back on the bike and getting back up to speed. Sam was going Mach 2 when he crashed, and I imagine that it took him a bit of time to get back up to speed even after he was out of the camera shot.

At the end of the day it's moot, though, as it doesn't matter if he *would* have won by 30 seconds, as the winner is the one who can dial it back just enough to get down the mtn the fastest.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Yep. I agree. ^^

I did a local DH race out here last year. Crashed on a hip jump right before the last turn. I'm sure i lost about5 seconds. Ended up second place, 1 second behind first. That sucked. It really sucked because it was a fast part of the course.