Quantcast

Sam Hill DNQ at aus national series

RaID

Turbo Monkey
So at the first national series round in adelaide was taken out by Graves
Hill didnt qualify after ripping off his derailleur hanger on a rock.

A nasty rock in chute was the culprit, all the elite riders were clipping their derailleurs on the said rock,however when hill came around he was definately quicker then anyone else and leaning over a lot more, and just ripped of his derailleur. Therefore didnt qualify.

However hill did a timed "sweeper" run before the finals, and the time would have given him second by approx 1sec behind Graves who took out the event.
So you can definitely say the specialized isnt slowing him down, he definitely looks very impressive, along with Graves on the track.

I can say i beat Hill on the weekend with my time :busted:

Either wasy it was good to see world class riders hit up a local track

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think Graves is going to do rather well in 4X next year.

raID, any other Aussie pro's racing the event ?

Sov

Chimp
Jan 1, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
Here's a pic, not the greatest. I heard a nasty clatter coming down the hill and figured it was someone on an Orange, didn't realise it was Hill with his derailleur banging around!

Attachments

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Out of the "full pros" it was only graves and hill, rennie was here but he couldn't race since had slight knee injury or something, he was on commentary duty at the finish line.

The remaining field was few of the lesser known aussies that did a bunch of the world cups this year more from the junior to just senior ranks and most of the junior aussie team. Plus all the "bigger" local names that pretty much the next bunch after the australian team.

Kovarik and bryn atkinson were registered to race but didnt show, not sure what was going on there.

As to the result, personally i dont what the result would have been if hill qualify between him and graves. It definitely looked like those guys were on the next level to everyone else. Given the winning time was 2:02, it was quite a short track so any slight mistakes and you were essentially out of contention. So the only real comparison was between Graves qualifying and winning run time 2:04 and 2:02 respectively and hills "sweeper" time of 2:03.

You can also question how much sam had in reserve, but i doubt you could squeeze a lot more out of that track. The top qualifying junior time was 2:05, gotta wait for the full results to come out but the Under 19s are very fast here.

All the talk about sam not being comfortable on the Demo vs the Sunday its bull**** really. He was looking fast and im sure he will be fast (and any other world class rider for that matter) on any decent quality bike whether its single pivot, dw link, vpp whatever. Sure they make slight advantages but a good rider is a good rider regardless of the bike.

Last edited:

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
All the talk about sam not being comfortable on the Demo vs the Sunday its bull**** really. He was looking fast and im sure he will be fast (and any other world class rider for that matter) on any decent quality bike whether its single pivot, dw link, vpp whatever. Sure they make slight advantages but a good rider is a good rider regardless of the bike.
Word. I've been saying this since the beginning of the season, it makes **** all difference what bike he's on. As long as he's on two wheels he's in contention for a podium at WC level.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Sure they make slight advantages but a good rider is a good rider regardless of the bike.
You said it all right there! Sam could go fast on a wally-world bike, he's that good. Not taking away from any other rider, but Sam can do things on a bike that others just have'nt figured out yet! When they do, it's gonna get interesting:clapping:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Here's a pic, not the greatest. I heard a nasty clatter coming down the hill and figured it was someone on an Orange, didn't realise it was Hill with his derailleur banging around!
One race on a huck bike and he's already got the front wheel miles in the air, dirty hucker style. I heard he was going to enter the Rampage next year now that he finally has a suitable bike. Also TLD are going to use Sam and the Demo as a launchpad for their new line of wifebeaters and oversize moto helmets that are compatible with sunglasses and don't allow the visor to sit up any further than horizontal.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Not taking away from any other rider, but Sam can do things on a bike that others just have'nt figured out yet! When they do, it's gonna get interesting:clapping:
I'm a pretty crazed fan myself, but come on, are you blind? All that has already happened, this year on the WC circuit in case you didn't notice.

I hope he comes back, but the fact is - you raise the bar and people jump higher; and this year that's exactly what they did.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Nice report.

btw, I thought Specialized uses a protective derailleur guard. lol

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You said it all right there! Sam could go fast on a wally-world bike, he's that good. Not taking away from any other rider, but Sam can do things on a bike that others just have'nt figured out yet! When they do, it's gonna get interesting:clapping:
yah i'm sure he could give minnaar a lesson on winning overall, or gee a lesson on winning champs

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
He is not going to win Worlds next year. I think this could be Peaty's year, hopefully he got the bad luck out of the way and canberra this year.
Sam looks comfortable on the demo, good luck to him.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Say what you will about the difference in bikes but I bet Hill is missing the derailleur protection offered by the inch wide dropouts on the Sunday more than just a little bit.

I'm not one to make predictions one way or the other but, if last year serves as any kind of example, I'd bet that this year will have more than it's fair share of exciting races. Now we just need a huge sponsor for Freezecaster so we get to actually see them. :thumb:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Say what you will about the difference in bikes but I bet Hill is missing the derailleur protection offered by the inch wide dropouts on the Sunday more than just a little bit.

I'm not one to make predictions one way or the other but, if last year serves as any kind of example, I'd bet that this year will have more than it's fair share of exciting races. Now we just need a huge sponsor for Freezecaster so we get to actually see them. :thumb:
somehow i doubt it. The top WC guys got where they are by being able to ride a razor sharp line through rough sections at speed. the sort of bike control this entails means they are able to avoid hitting things like derailleurs, pedals/cranks, and disc rotors on rocks and such; it's all part of the equation. Sure, there are lots of riders who go through derailleurs but next time you make it out to a World Cup check out how many guys come down in practice or in the race with mechanical issues other than flat tires. the answer is very few.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
somehow i doubt it. The top WC guys got where they are by being able to ride a razor sharp line through rough sections at speed. the sort of bike control this entails means they are able to avoid hitting things like derailleurs, pedals/cranks, and disc rotors on rocks and such; it's all part of the equation. Sure, there are lots of riders who go through derailleurs but next time you make it out to a World Cup check out how many guys come down in practice or in the race with mechanical issues other than flat tires. the answer is very few.
I don't know what rockless world cup races you've watched. But I see more than a few, and out of how many riders? Makes it about a 1-100 chance? Or to look at it another way, how many mechs has each rider lost a race or practise run from?
I'll still be putting my money on Hill this year, no matter who's stepping up to the plate.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I'll be putting the long-odds bet down on Graves for the Worlds DH/4X double this year. Jared has smoked all of the Aussies at Stromlo in the past to win the National DH title; beat Rennie by 2.5 seconds and Hill by 7. Hannah would be another dark horse possibility. Unless Hill puts in a massive off season and gets the legs and lungs sorted big time he's not going to have a hope.

Last edited:

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I would love to see you telling that to Hill in his face.
Im sure he knows his weaknesses, and the canberra track is definately one of them due to the large amount of pedalling required especially for the last couple hundred metres.

I guess we will see how much training he has put it at the national champs that will be run on the worlds track in late january. Either way i think it will be hard for him to compete with the physically bigger guys such as rennie, peat, barel and minaar. All the best to him though. I will be suprised if he takes out the world but wish him all the best.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Either way i think it will be hard for him to compete with the physically bigger guys such as rennie, peat, barel and minaar.
And this is what seperates him from the "real alien" Nico. Nico could win on any track at any given day...and most of the times he did!
And to be honest, because of this racing is more exciting now than in the old days. Who wants to watch a race where the big question is "who got second?"???

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
All this "should have, would have could have" talk...Anyone at that level can rip up a course BUT you still have to finish the race to win! Sam "should have could have would have" won the Worlds too but he didn't.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Short angry men, loudspeakers, how can you lose?! :biggrin: