Quantcast

Sam Hill DNQ at aus national series

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
All this "should have, would have could have" talk...Anyone at that level can rip up a course BUT you still have to finish the race to win! Sam "should have could have would have" won the Worlds too but he didn't.
It really didn't matter though did it. He redefined DH mountain biking that day IMO.

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'll be putting the long-odds bet down on Graves for the Worlds DH/4X double this year. Jared has smoked all of the Aussies at Stromlo in the past to win the National DH title; beat Rennie by 2.5 seconds and Hill by 7. Hannah would be another dark horse possibility. Unless Hill puts in a massive off season and gets the legs and lungs sorted big time he's not going to have a hope.
hate to burst your bubble, but kovarick has smashed graves in three seperate races in the last few weeks, but didnt race this round of the nationals. still, graves is a pinnor so nothing would surprise me.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
hate to burst your bubble, but kovarick has smashed graves in three seperate races in the last few weeks, but didnt race this round of the nationals. still, graves is a pinnor so nothing would surprise me.
Yeah, saw that Kovarik smashed up the 3 race thing at Illinbah/Canungra, definitely in form as well, though I don't know how that "bursts my bubble".

For whoever's getting pissy about me saying that Hill isn't suited to the course at Stromlo, cry me a freakin' river you big blouses. Look at his recent results there, he's been a way off the pace at both the Aussie nationals and the World Cup. In fact, his result there is probably what cost him the World Cup overall title this year.

They guys an idol of mine and is in fact the greatest DH rider Australia has ever produced. He's a guy who trains hard to improve areas of weakness, hence me saying he needs to get his legs and lungs right, just a simple observation.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hill needs to get some clips!

Then he could say he won a world championships with and with out them! hahaha

:rofl:

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
It really didn't matter though did it. He redefined DH mountain biking that day IMO.
It mattered the most that day. It all boils down to that final run on that day for all the racers there. The title, the contingency money & bonuses, the marketing dollars of the rainbow stripes for Ironhorse and all his sponsors, his marketing value. That crash cost everyone involved with Sam Hill millions if you add it all up. You don't need to beat them by 5 seconds...you just need to win. He has had defining moments in racing for sure (his epic mud ride was more defining), but I am sure that corner haunts him.

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I agree his Champery run was more impressive but the camera's were there at Worlds. That enabled people to really see the difference between him and what they previously thought was possible.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
It mattered the most that day. It all boils down to that final run on that day for all the racers there. The title, the contingency money & bonuses, the marketing dollars of the rainbow stripes for Ironhorse and all his sponsors, his marketing value. That crash cost everyone involved with Sam Hill millions if you add it all up. You don't need to beat them by 5 seconds...you just need to win...
Sure. It´s just that everybody gets motivated for different reasons. Some like bonuses, well... The bubble burst. Others like doing things for intrinsic motivating reasons. I prefer the latter. It´s what get things going forward.

luiz carlos

Monkey
Apr 15, 2002
Brazil-Rio de Janeiro
It mattered the most that day. It all boils down to that final run on that day for all the racers there. The title, the contingency money & bonuses, the marketing dollars of the rainbow stripes for Ironhorse and all his sponsors, his marketing value. That crash cost everyone involved with Sam Hill millions if you add it all up. You don't need to beat them by 5 seconds...you just need to win. He has had defining moments in racing for sure (his epic mud ride was more defining), but I am sure that corner haunts him.
I'm really not sure of this.....

Just check on Youtube and Freecaster the number of times that his run is viewed against Peat and Gee's run.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Sure. It´s just that everybody gets motivated for different reasons. Some like bonuses, well... The bubble burst. Others like doing things for intrinsic motivating reasons. I prefer the latter. It´s what get things going forward.
That is all warm and fuzzy, but you don't race for a living. It is a different mentality for a the top 5 guys in the world cup. Yes all of them love to ride. But it is different when it is your income. You can only race for a limited time and these guys need to cash in all they can as well. I'm sure these guys all ride for fun, but race for business. They all have the laid back look to them, but it is big business. I am talking the top guys...not the mid packers.

Last edited:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Believe me it cost everyone millions.
Really, it doesn't. Not in mountain biking and especially not in DH. The numbers just aren't there to support that theory. Not now at least. We as downhillers like to think maybe it somehow does but it is one point in dozens (if not hundreds) that will go into a buying decision. The important points are things like branding, timely delivery, customer service, etc. If anything, Sam's run reinforced his branding by generating more views on playback, more magazine coverage, etc than the winner of the event.

When it all boils down, by that point in the season as a mfgr all of your pre-orders for large accounts & distributors were dialed in for months. Yes, you can place an order for extra product but by the time it every actually ships it will be past the point of effectiveness. However, leadtimes and an overall small market size prevent extra turns of inventory on the back of a big race victory.

In the big picture no one sold more/less DH product as a result of Sam auguring in at Val di Sole. They were going to sell/not sell that product regardless. You can possibly say that Commencal or Fox would see a bump as a result in sales but in reality anything would have been incremental and not in the magnitude of "millions" (implying several million).

-ska todd

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Really, it doesn't. Not in mountain biking and especially not in DH. The numbers just aren't there to support that theory. Not now at least. We as downhillers like to think maybe it somehow does but it is one point in dozens (if not hundreds) that will go into a buying decision. The important points are things like branding, timely delivery, customer service, etc. If anything, Sam's run reinforced his branding by generating more views on playback, more magazine coverage, etc than the winner of the event.

When it all boils down, by that point in the season as a mfgr all of your pre-orders for large accounts & distributors were dialed in for months. Yes, you can place an order for extra product but by the time it every actually ships it will be past the point of effectiveness. However, leadtimes and an overall small market size prevent extra turns of inventory on the back of a big race victory.

In the big picture no one sold more/less DH product as a result of Sam auguring in at Val di Sole. They were going to sell/not sell that product regardless. You can possibly say that Commencal or Fox would see a bump as a result in sales but in reality anything would have been incremental and not in the magnitude of "millions" (implying several million).

-ska todd
I thought about pointing that out, but coming from somebody who actually knows what they're talking about in the industry, it means more, good work!

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
That is all warm and fuzzy, but you don't race for a living. It is a different mentality for a the top 5 guys in the world cup. Yes all of them love to ride. But it is different when it is your income. You can only race for a limited time and these guys need to cash in all they can as well. I'm sure these guys all ride for fun, but race for business. They all have the laid back look to them, but it is big business. I am talking the top guys...not the mid packers.
I don´t know. I know what you´re saying, but you´re making it way too simple, I think. It´s more to it than that. You can´t be a top level athlete for long if your motivation is mainly to maximize your market position, or your sponsors market position.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
URT is overkill for him, he could easily win on commuter bike, since he's always 10 minutes faster than competition :rolleyes:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
somebody needs to say it. Stop responding. Its called trolling. Chill out. I know it provokes a response, but suck it up and don't respond. MTBR is the new pinkbike, and this is rapidly turning into mtbr. Pretty soon we'll see "What bike" threads with DH bikes, FR bikes, and two XC bikes.

Anyway, looking forward to another good year of racing and hope to see Hill continue to stay on top, or near the top. He's a good rider for sure

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Seriously.

Apart from making a few statements about a certain bike that were factually 99% correct and were not argued otherwise.

What have I done ?

I've been called "idiot", "totally stupid", "azzhat" etc and haven't said the slightest thing in response because really, it's no big deal is it ? If you're getting that upset over a few cheap comments from either side you are surely taking life a little too seriously don't you think ?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Seriously.

Apart from making a few statements about a certain bike that were factually 99% correct and were not argued otherwise.

What have I done ?

I've been called "idiot", "totally stupid", "azzhat" etc and haven't said the slightest thing in response because really, it's no big deal is it ? If you're getting that upset over a few cheap comments from either side you are surely taking life a little too seriously don't you think ?
Keep it on topic. You've been warned.