Quantcast

Saddam Hussein to be Executed by Saturday:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wow.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16384738/

Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, sentenced to death for his role in 148 killings in 1982, will have his sentence carried out by Sunday, NBC News reported Thursday. According to a U.S. military officer who spoke on condition of anonymity, Saddam will be hanged before the start of the Eid religious holiday, which begins this Sunday.

The hanging could take place as early as Friday, NBC’s Richard Engel reported.

The U.S. military received a formal request from the Iraqi government to transfer Saddam to Iraqi authorities, NBC reported on Thursday, which is one of the final steps required before his execution. His sentence, handed down last month, ordered that he be hanged within 30 days.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
He's kind of old.........what if his head pops off?
Remember the super fat guy in Washington who's lawyer argued that hanging would be inhumane for the guy since his head would likely be pulled off?

As for Saddam, he's a scapegoat and a puppet, so kinda sad.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
He's kind of old.........what if his head pops off?
there is a mathematical formula for that.
the variables account for weight, fitness and so i think.
it gives the ideal drop to hit the sweetspot and break the neck... without severing the head and without choking the individual for minutes before he dies.
i read that on popular mechanics when i was 13. interesting stuff, i wonder if that article was printed on the US edition too.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
there is a mathematical formula for that.
the variables account for weight, fitness and so i think.
it gives the ideal drop to hit the sweetspot and break the neck... without severing the head and without choking the individual for minutes before he dies.
i read that on popular mechanics when i was 13. interesting stuff, i wonder if that article was printed on the US edition too.
Ive read that, but not in PM. I forget where.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Remember the super fat guy in Washington who's lawyer argued that hanging would be inhumane for the guy since his head would likely be pulled off?

As for Saddam, he's a scapegoat and a puppet, so kinda sad.
Didnt that guy go to prison at normal size, and eat his way out of being hung? Kind of like a death row version of "Super Size me"?

And Opie, dont tell me you feel sorry for Sadaam...he is being done more humanely than 9/10ths of the ones he murdered.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Aren't executions in that neck of the woods usually public? I can't imagine that'd be wise given all the security concerns.

So when will the footage end up on Youtube?

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Aren't executions in that neck of the woods usually public? I can't imagine that'd be wise given all the security concerns.

When Saddam was in power, the executions were sometimes held in the football(soccer for us Americans) stadium. That was also where they had their torture center.

I'm suprised Bush isn't embarassed by this though. Not because Saddam is being hung and all the human rights groups are going nuts, but because the Iraqi government seems to be more efficient at execuiting people than his home state of Texas. Texas to pass law with 10day death row stays in 5...4...3...2...

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
I'm suprised Bush isn't embarassed by this though. Not because Saddam is being hung and all the human rights groups are going nuts, but because the Iraqi government seems to be more efficient at execuiting people than his home state of Texas. Texas to pass law with 10day death row stays in 5...4...3...2...
Now that's funny.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I doubt it would be in public, actually I bet all the confusion about when it is supposed to occur is has been manufactured for security concerns.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Holy crap that was like yesterday.

So you warshington folks draw and quarter people when they're caught trespassing? Little iron maiden for shoplifting or the rack any time someone gets a dui?
Personally I think liver disease is a hell of a lot worse than hanging....unless there's a state-paid morphine main line....then it's WAAAAYYY betta.

And I like racks.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Ditto that.

I do feel sorry for him, as I feel sorry for all our humanity when we are reduced to an eye for an eye.
I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for humanity, and our own current society. It might sound corny, but "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" is absolutely true.

On the subject of hanging, if done CORRECTLY, it's not that bad. The neck breaks and you die pretty much instantly. AlexisDH is spot on. And if the head detaches from the body it's really only messy for those who have to clean it up. The hangee is already dead from the neckk breaking. It's a helluva lot more humane than the electric chair.

Personally if I was to be executed I'd prefer the guillotine. Very very efficient.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for humanity, and our own current society. It might sound corny, but "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" is absolutely true.
The only reason that I said I feel sorry for him, is because whether we like it or not (or whether we like him or not) he is part of our global community and part of our collective humanity.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The only reason that I said I feel sorry for him, is because whether we like it or not (or whether we like him or not) he is part of our global community and part of our collective humanity.
I grok. And I agree. As an individual, no... but as a member of humanity and our society, then yes. It's a tough subject and a difficult opinion to form.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For political reasons within the Borders of Iraq it seems to me just letting him rot away in jail would be better. Outside the morality of it, it is still sad as you could say it was once our ultimate goal in Iraq and now it will not help out the sorry state of affairs in that country at all.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Actually, it's quite a bit larger than that, but that doesn't change anything. Whenever the state kills someone, it kills in my name. I have no desire to kill anyone or have anyone else killed.
Yeah, actually it's not.

Former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, sentenced to death for his role in 148 killings in 1982
Good try though.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
Yeah, actually it's not.
I'm sure he's responsible for much more than just the 148 that he was sentenced for.
Good try though.
What the hell does that mean? It doesn't matter to me whether he killed 1 person or 1 million. I still stand by my position that the death penalty should be abolished. Period. What, do you think you scored points or something? The more people he killed, the more people want his blood, so you would want him to have killed more people, not less. Duh.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
For political reasons within the Borders of Iraq it seems to me just letting him rot away in jail would be better. Outside the morality of it, it is still sad as you could say it was once our ultimate goal in Iraq and now it will not help out the sorry state of affairs in that country at all.
Except that letting him rot in jail would put even more lives at risk. Wherever he would be held would become prime target for any group that would wish to break him out. And if they did succeed, I can't even begin to imagine the support that him being free and leading the fight "against the western oppressors" would bring.

On the other hand, executing him makes him a martyr, giving support to those same groups who want to avenge his death at the hands of "the western oppressors". Question is, which will lead to less bloodshed.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Except that letting him rot in jail would put even more lives at risk. Wherever he would be held would become prime target for any group that would wish to break him out. And if they did succeed, I can't even begin to imagine the support that him being free and leading the fight "against the western oppressors" would bring.

On the other hand, executing him makes him a martyr, giving support to those same groups who want to avenge his death at the hands of "the western oppressors". Question is, which will lead to less bloodshed.

Who the hell is fighting for Saddam anymore. The power structure in Iraq has changed and those with the power are not going to give it up or use it to fight for him. What this does do is just continue to make the Iraqi government look more like an illegitimate puppet of the US.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Who the hell is fighting for Saddam anymore. The power structure in Iraq has changed and those with the power are not going to give it up or use it to fight for him. What this does do is just continue to make the Iraqi government look more like an illegitimate puppet of the US.
True.

It would be safe to say however that there are still plenty of people who support Saddam both in Iraq and in some other areas of the world.
While the headlines show the Iraqi people dancing and celebrating the sentance...there are still many cities in Iraq that are in protest over the descision. Military forces in Iraq are bracing for a retaliation in response to the verdict. And do you think all the terror groups around the world want the execution to go on? Why else would they keep the date, time and location of the execution secret if there was not opposition. Hell, many people in the international community are bitterly opposed to it.

:clapping: =U.S.A "Dance!dance!" :monkeydance: = New Iraqi government "Whatever you say boss"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
True.

It would be safe to say however that there are still plenty of people who support Saddam both in Iraq and in some other areas of the world.
While the headlines show the Iraqi people dancing and celebrating the sentance...there are still many cities in Iraq that are in protest over the descision. Military forces in Iraq are bracing for a retaliation in response to the verdict. And do you think all the terror groups around the world want the execution to go on? Why else would they keep the date, time and location of the execution secret if there was not opposition. Hell, many people in the international community are bitterly opposed to it.

:clapping: =U.S.A "Dance!dance!" :monkeydance: = New Iraqi government "Whatever you say boss"

Ironically it was the Iraqi government (if I remember correctly) that wanted to detain and try Saddam locally. We would have been the puppet masters if we forced them to send him to an international court. But of course the administration does not like international courts.

Edit: Funny thing is one of the best possible outcomes at this point would be if Saddam did escape and gain power again. Let that ****hole be his problem again.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The learning curve has been pretty steep here, and what we and the Iraqis are finding out is the same thing the Soviets learned after the wall came down. Life under a dictatorship sucks, but the power vacuum after the fall is just as brutal. It is going to get worse before it gets better, if it ever does.
Thanks George, nice going...