Quantcast

Redbull Hardline

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What happens when this trail stops getting used, do they have to re-vegetate the land?
It doesn't look like they picked a shitty bit of land with no trees on it to cut a trail in and it would be a lot of work to keep that shitty dirt in shape for the few riders that can ride the trail.

It's pretty impressive footage, there'd have to be forty or more cameras to switch to per run. I have now idea how you make that all happen in real time and we get to watch it for free and whinge about it.

That cricket can get right fucked! Just found the EQ on the TV and removed the treble.

EDIT- Seems it was possibly going to be an area that would be logged and tourism money keeps the logging at bay, so I eat my hat.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
nothing too confusing about it. I was just trying to help you guys understand his words from that short interview during Jackson's trackhold. Stuff definitely sometimes gets a little lost in translation here.
If anything felt a little off. I'd probably put it down to sticking a mic infront of the guy and pressing for an imediate reaction to an event he probably knows less about than the interviewer.
I think folk read far too much into rivalries and the mood of riders. Along with decades of hate and bizarre character assasinations (truthful or humourous) towards certain WC racers/pro riders from certain Monkeys skews it massively. They've pretty much all been out there riding together all week, all getting along with one another just fine. From his reaction it seemed pretty obvioius Laurie thought Jackson was fine. You've also gotta remember just how many huge riding crashes these guys have all walked away from and how that can make it blasé .
Very true and well said.

I Love the Race,but if I was an owner of a team,my Men are not allowed. I don’t know if that is Wong,or Mean,but I cannot take a chance. Look at Jackson?

Is that even an option as a owner?

They only make money if they win. Chicken Feed for the risk.

I guess the sponsors want exposer,so they are pushing it. Who has the Final say? The rider,the Owner,the Sponsor?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They only make money if they win
Erm. No.
Not these days.
Winning WCs *should* get you paid but cleverly marketing yourself and gaining a large online following due to "content" is worth more than what 90% of the DH WC field are paid. And a big reason why 15 of the 30 invited riders at Hardline are privateers/non racers/up n comers/locals and not regular top 30 WC racers you'd probably know the name of.
The Syndicate seemed to be the only WC "team" present. Peaty in the pits/on track, riders mechanics out with them etc. Probably overly confident their boy could win again.

Who has the Final say? The rider, the Owner,the Sponsor?
Red Bull has the final say on who is invited and who isn't. The say over whether a WC team rider applys/accepts will ultimately be the riders choice unless contractually bound not to. And if accepted whether they will be supported to do so will obviously be down to their sponsor/team.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Erm. No.
Not these days.
Winning WCs *should* get you paid but cleverly marketing yourself and gaining a large online following due to "content" is worth more than what 90% of the DH WC field are paid. And a big reason why 15 of the 30 invited riders at Hardline are privateers/non racers/up n comers/locals and not regular top 30 WC racers you'd probably know the name of.
The Syndicate seemed to be the only WC "team" present. Peaty in the pits/on track, riders mechanics out with them etc. Probably overly confident their boy could win again.

Red Bull has the final say on who is invited and who isn't. The say over whether a WC team rider applys/accepts will ultimately be the riders choice unless contractually bound not to. And if accepted whether they will be supported to do so will obviously be down to their sponsor/team.
I forgot about Media Money,stupid of me.

Would you Gary,if the Boss of SC let’s say. Allow you’re Riders to compete in RB?

This is a serious problem with Jackson hurt? And for what?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Would you Gary,if the Boss of SC let’s say. Allow you’re Riders to compete in RB?
No. I'd sell it to the highest bidder and move my entire circle of life somewhere warm.

Possibly making the odd comment on social media about the running of my ex business from the comfort of my sun lounger

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is a serious problem with Jackson hurt? And for what?
For fun. The dude enjoys riding. We seem to have fogotten this along the way.
He didn't crash on anything you wouldn't expect to encounter on a DH training run and seemed very very comfortable with all the OOOOOHHHH HARDLINE!!! features.
6 weeks tops recovery time is currently being touted around socials
first WC race isn't until what? May?
nice wee pre-season rest, then, eh?

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
I think Dunne’s run had Jackson suprised. He then switched to WC Champs mode.
Tbh 1st round of the WC and you could ruin your season in a practice anyway. Its not the safest of sports even more so recent years with the progression.
Riding safe isnt cutting it results wise anymore.
And it wasnt the death features thats caught Jackson out. It was the DH component of the track.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
For fun. The dude enjoys riding. We seem to have fogotten this along the way.
He didn't crash on anything you wouldn't expect to encounter on a DH training run and seemed very very comfortable with all the OOOOOHHHH HARDLINE!!! features.
6 weeks tops recovery time is currently being touted around socials
first WC race isn't until what? May?
nice wee pre-season rest, then, eh?
A rest you say? No,it is No time on the Bike,coming in Cold.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I think Dunne’s run had Jackson suprised. He then switched to WC Champs mode.
Tbh 1st round of the WC and you could ruin your season in a practice anyway. Its not the safest of sports even more so recent years with the progression.
Riding safe isnt cutting it results wise anymore.
And it wasnt the death features thats caught Jackson out. It was the DH component of the track.
Right,I am just saying,if he gets hurt,even the First WC,so be it. Or even practice. At least he can say he was doing the right thing. A Race like this is not.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Then why is it that when WC Riders come back from an injury,we say:

Let’s give him some time to get up to speed? This his his First Race back. It’s gonna take time to get up to speed.

Or is Jackson special?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
erm... No... "some" say... most just repeat it blindly
Or is Jackson special?
You probably could say that looking at his performance, injuries and medical issues last year.

Ft William is a weird track but Personally I'm hoping Amory turns up and comes out with one of those ridiculously on the edge scare the shit out of everyone else runs.

I'm just having fun with you over Gwin. I'd love him to do what he used to be able to too. Can't see it happening tho

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
erm... No... "some" say... most just repeat it blindly

You probably could say that looking at his performance, injuries and medical issues last year.

Ft William is a weird track but Personally I'm hoping Amory turns up and comes out with one of those ridiculously on the edge scare the shit out of everyone else runs.

I'm just having fun with you over Gwin. I'd love him to do what he used to be able to too. Can't see it happening tho
Gary,“we say that” because it is a Fact Brother. Of course,there is the special Rider. There will Always be someone special coming off injury to win like a walk in the park. But most of us humble folk,it takes time to get back to speed.

Amory is ready,and Hungry.

Greenland is Hungry.

Troy is on a mission

The Field is stacked this year. It‘s a Dam Shame this new Race Format. The price to watch,I am sooo mad at this clusterfuck.

Last Brother,you always say you have no favorites,just love the sport and Love a good run. However,I see you would like “personally for Amory to scare the shit out of them and win Ft.William”. No no,I understand Brother,you have a Favorite,no worries. Just letting you know that I read what you type.

Avy

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Regarding the give them time to get back to speed. That shouldnt apply if theres enough time between races to prep and train. If a series is competing nearly every week itd apply. Off-season racing is the best prep imo. Like all of us know, we can put fast times in practice all day, but that one chance only race run is a different game. Pressure makes it like a different game.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Regarding the give them time to get back to speed. That shouldnt apply if theres enough time between races to prep and train. If a series is competing nearly every week itd apply. Off-season racing is the best prep imo. Like all of us know, we can put fast times in practice all day, but that one chance only race run is a different game. Pressure makes it like a different game.
Yes It does Brother.

I just was putting out the conversation of choices,that is what life is. And how the Mokeys feel about it? If you were an owner,a rider,a sponsor etc.

Avy

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Brook was right, that Mondraker is really holding them back and works like shit. Imagine if Dunne had been riding one for Hardline, he probably would have finished 10th or worse. Oh wait...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Dunne is so sick.

It was very cool seeing the women go for it and have some success.

I hope they get the slow freeriders out of there for next race and manage to attract more top 20 WC racers.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
yeah dunne is rad. that he can function with so much RB in his bloodstream is truly impressive. the future of the sport is looking bright with so many up & coming absolute shredder kids. though i'm thinking careers will be relatively short-lived; i don't think we'll see many riders pushing deep into a second decade at the current pace (which bodes well for the likes of minnarr; his stats are likely untouchable).

also rad to see local girl gracey solidly stomp her run. some serious progression going on. hoping to see her turn up the wick this season.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That he can function with so much RB in his bloodstream us truely impressive
4 x 250mm cans of energy drink isnt a huge amount. Each brand generally has 36mg per 100ml. So that's only 360mg.
Most days I have a 250mm energy drink first thing in the morning. Followed by a 500ml can when I arrive at work which generly lasts until lunchtime. Then ill either crack open a other or move onto regular caffeinated soft drinks for the remainder of the afternoon .eg. Coke/Dr pepper And I'll usually have another 500ml at home in the evening.
Similarly to Ronan Ive been self medicating with caffeine most of my life (not just adult). it hits differently for us than a regularly wired brain.

*coke/Dr pepper is more like 12mg per 100ml but I drink multiple multi pack 330m cans or fill pint glasses from 2litre bottles of it.

The most energy drinks I consumed at a race was 12 250ml energy drinks and a, 6 pack of 330ml Cokes. I wasn't racing. But doing timing runs. (Like a sweeper for multiple categories). I did 12 runs and grabbed a free energy drink in the finish area every time I left. I also grabbed a coke from the van to consume every second run on the half hr uplift journey. I only remember the number now because of the reaction a Doctor riding buddy of mine had when I told him the following week.
Turns out that's somewhere around 3000mg over a 6 or 7 hr period. I drove home from the event blissfully unaware what I'd consumed was even considered a dangerous level of caffeine (nevermind toxic) as I felt absolutely fine. Apart from twinges of cramp later on which isn't exactly out of the ordinary for 12 full DH runs.

Ps. Anyone know what score with ADHD meds in UCI competition is? Bearing in mind a many are amphetaine based.

Amphetaine and cocaine hit differently for mee too.

Not trying to piss on his caffeine consumption achievements in the slightest BTW. Somply (over) sharing in context (as usual) . Ronan is Rad. Caffienated or not.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Dunne is so sick.

It was very cool seeing the women go for it and have some success.

I hope they get the slow freeriders out of there for next race and manage to attract more top 20 WC racers.
The whole initial concept of hardlines “freeride sized jumps with WC DH trails, who’s faster - free ride or dh” was always a bit flimsy. I think anyone mad enough to race it should be allowed, with accidents like Goldstones this year the likelihood is that we won’t be seeing more serious podium contenders racing.

I would like to see how it can progress as a series, but I don’t see the fan engagement being there for more than 3 stops a year maximum. An early, pre race season event and an event after the season ends is probably the only way to ensure a decent turn out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The whole initial concept of hardlines “freeride sized jumps with WC DH trails, who’s faster - free ride or dh” was always a bit flimsy. I think anyone mad enough to race it should be allowed, with accidents like Goldstones this year the likelihood is that we won’t be seeing more serious podium contenders racing.

I would like to see how it can progress as a series, but I don’t see the fan engagement being there for more than 3 stops a year maximum. An early, pre race season event and an event after the season ends is probably the only way to ensure a decent turn out.
As someone who has never raced DH everything I know about the sport is from RM. Knowing the superiority of small wheels, baggy jerseys and chainless drivetrains I was utterly shocked to see Remy come in near last.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
accidents like Goldstones
The irony is that he fucked up and was bucked on a section of track not even vaguely unusual in style, speed or difficulty for a section of WC DH track.

Totly agree with you that the Hardline format fails to get you fired up like WC races do. The only way I could see that changing is for it to become a full series and attended by ALL the top DH racers

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
As someone who has never raced DH everything I know about the sport is from RM. Knowing the superiority of small wheels, baggy jerseys and chainless drivetrains I was utterly shocked to see Remy come in near last.
He obviously chose the "wrong" brakes

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
4 x 250mm cans of energy drink isnt a huge amount. Each brand generally has 36mg per 100ml. So that's only 360mg.
Most days I have a 250mm energy drink first thing in the morning. Followed by a 500ml can when I arrive at work which generly lasts until lunchtime. Then ill either crack open a other or move onto regular caffeinated soft drinks for the remainder of the afternoon .eg. Coke/Dr pepper And I'll usually have another 500ml at home in the evening.
Similarly to Ronan Ive been self medicating with caffeine most of my life (not just adult). it hits differently for us than a regularly wired brain.

*coke/Dr pepper is more like 12mg per 100ml but I drink multiple multi pack 330m cans or fill pint glasses from 2litre bottles of it.

The most energy drinks I consumed at a race was 12 250ml energy drinks and a, 6 pack of 330ml Cokes. I wasn't racing. But doing timing runs. (Like a sweeper for multiple categories). I did 12 runs and grabbed a free energy drink in the finish area every time I left. I also grabbed a coke from the van to consume every second run on the half hr uplift journey. I only remember the number now because of the reaction a Doctor riding buddy of mine had when I told him the following week.
Turns out that's somewhere around 3000mg over a 6 or 7 hr period. I drove home from the event blissfully unaware what I'd consumed was even considered a dangerous level of caffeine (nevermind toxic) as I felt absolutely fine. Apart from twinges of cramp later on which isn't exactly out of the ordinary for 12 full DH runs.

Ps. Anyone know what score with ADHD meds in UCI competition is? Bearing in mind a many are amphetaine based.

Amphetaine and cocaine hit differently for mee too.

Not trying to piss on his caffeine consumption achievements in the slightest BTW. Somply (over) sharing in context (as usual) . Ronan is Rad. Caffienated or not.
Gary,it was just a common sense thought. Too much RB for Ronan. Easy Tiger.

You Are pissing on his caffeine avhievements. You got a a Notpad by you?

Avy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Must’ve been an off day as well all know that removing your chain reduces anti squat and makes you faster.