Quantcast

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sort of, technically a metalsmith/jewelry designer or goldsmith. Jewelers carve wax and order stuff out of catalogues. I fabricate jewelry from sheet and wire.
Jewels do not make Jewelry. Sometimes the Jewel can dominate the setting and sometimes the setting can dominate the jewel. A true artist takes both into consideration and finds a balance that cannot be explained... As a Romantic, I find that balance to be the statement.....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Jewels do not make Jewelry. Sometimes the Jewel can dominate the setting and sometimes the setting can dominate the jewel. A true artist takes both into consideration and finds a balance that cannot be explained... As a Romantic, I find that balance to be the statement.....
Most commercial jewelry seems devoid of any design sense to me. Globbing clusters of shiny stones together in some platinum just doesn't cut it.

This is just obnoxious to me:

A well known goldsmith:

I like work that has an emphasis on metal work, design and incorporates stones as integral components of a totality that neither competes for or ignores the viewer's attention, yet allows for an experience reflective of continuity and balance.

Or in other words, I can't stand visual clutter.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Most commercial jewelry seems devoid of any design sense to me. Globbing clusters of shiny stones together in some platinum just doesn't cut it.

A well known goldsmith:

I like work that has an emphasis on metal work, design and incorporates stones as integral components of a totality that neither competes for or ignores the viewer's attention, yet allows for an experience reflective of continuity and balance.

I think we are on the same page....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

A well known goldsmith:

I appreciate your craft, there are some means that require no end. But I don't get jewelry at all. I see little aesthetic value when worn, just seems solely to be a pointless display of wealth.

I prefer dentist's bikes. At least you can get some shreddage for your disposable dollar.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I appreciate your craft, there are some means that require no end. But I don't get jewelry at all. I see little aesthetic value when worn, just seems solely to be a pointless display of wealth.

I prefer dentist's bikes. At least you can get some shreddage for your disposable dollar.
Thanks.

All you need to know about jewelry is summed up best by a friend of mine while riding in the back of the van for some shuttles came across my brochure. He said something along the lines of, "I heard you were good, but had no idea you did this kind of stuff. So basically you help rich men get laid ?" Yes, yes I do.

I myself only wear one piece of jewelry and would much rather have a schweet bike than some bling. Which might be a bit of another problem, but anyway...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks.

All you need to know about jewelry is summed up best by a friend of mine while riding in the back of the van for some shuttles came across my brochure. He said something along the lines of, "I heard you were good, but had no idea you did this kind of stuff. So basically you help rich men get laid ?" Yes, yes I do.

I myself only wear one piece of jewelry and would much rather have a schweet bike than some bling. Which might be a bit of another problem, but anyway...
Can you hammer out a sweet silver townie bike?

Bitches would be all over a sweet silver townie bike.

How about head tube badges? Coolest thing I saw at the hand built bike show a few years ago was a generally no-nonsense stainless hardtail with a hand hammered copper head tube badge.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Can you hammer out a sweet silver townie bike?

Bitches would be all over a sweet silver townie bike.

How about head tube badges? Coolest thing I saw at the hand built bike show a few years ago was a generally no-nonsense stainless hardtail with a hand hammered copper head tube badge.

I've made two sterling silver and 14k gold head tube badges. One was a collaboration with another rider/artist design based on the Eye of Horace for a birthday present. And the other one was a mountain scene in a shield form for my Dad. I wish I had pics.