Quantcast

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think the biggest negative impact of technology is the extension of the workplace into peoples personal time. The 'always available' mentality, where people are expected to work from home/vacation etc. The days of walking out the door at 5:00 and having time for yourself and family are gone.

I'm not even in the cube world and get sucked into this.
My clients expect me to be available nights and weekends because that's how their lives are.
Fuck that shit.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
lol at thinking you have freedom of speech on a website where you agreed to their TOS's.
Actually I thought I followed TOC but apparently some are using Internet extensively on their workplaces. Hence discussion whether WiFi, phone are good. Employers lost job because they wrote something inappropriate in Facebook. Hierarchy in us workplaces is far more rigid and I was reminded by that.

We are living in crazy times.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Damn...

When I was doing powdercoating, I got to see a lot of naked frames. To date I think the best looking welds I saw were on the Karpiel Disco Volante. Runner up was the Foes Fly that Foes sent me freshly welded for a custom color job a local guy wanted.

Those look down right amazing. Especially when you take into account the shape. Wow.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the biggest negative impact of technology is the extension of the workplace into peoples personal time. The 'always available' mentality, where people are expected to work from home/vacation etc. The days of walking out the door at 5:00 and having time for yourself and family are gone.

My clients expect me to be available nights and weekends because that's how their lives are.
Fuck that shit.
I am not like that at all. While I can VPN from home, I don't unless I am "working" from home. I am usually in the office by 7 and rarely leave before 4, but once I walk out this door, I am pretty much done. One advantage of this company vs others I've worked with is that we are hardware oriented and over half the company is in manufacturing. They punch a time clock, have scheduled breaks and lunch, but they are hourly. While engineering is salary, we don't clock in/out, but we are expected to maintain "normal" work hours. But our product cycles are on average 18 months long, So unless it it the last 2 months of the cycle, very little is so sensitive that waiting until tomorrow will cause the world to end.

But when I worked in mobile development, if we had server issues and clients couldn't access accounts, we could lose $100k+ an hour in revenue. So if you had duty phone, you had to have access and respond in minutes, not hours or a day.

So while I agree some people live that world and expect that all others do as well, it isn't the case everywhere, thank gawd.

/coolstorybro

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Damn...

When I was doing powdercoating, I got to see a lot of naked frames. To date I think the best looking welds I saw were on the Karpiel Disco Volante. Runner up was the Foes Fly that Foes sent me freshly welded for a custom color job a local guy wanted.

Those look down right amazing. Especially when you take into account the shape. Wow.

A buddy of mine's wife has a no neck thumb face. I was shocked to see a picture of her in college when she actually had a chin, rather attractive back in the day. Not so much now.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

Fuck that shit.
#knuckleslammer

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Anyone else agree wifi and mobile internet are some of the worst things that could have ever happend to people?

Over it...
the more twenty somethings who walk out into traffic while staring at their phone the better.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

A buddy of mine's wife has a no neck thumb face. I was shocked to see a picture of her in college when she actually had a chin, rather attractive back in the day. Not so much now.
Sounds like the sister of a chick I know. Her sister looks like Honey BooBoo's mom but I have heard how she was "the hot sister" back in the day, like 3 kids ago.

Kinda like the magic of facebook. Some people age WAY better than others. :rofl:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i had some lady seated behind me in a movie theater complain about the video i was watching while wearing headphones on my phone prior to the movie.

i told her the alternative was me asking her to shut up...no one wants to hear her and her boyfriends conversation.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
gsd's....walking disasters....
Why do you think that?
If you avoid the overbred, neurotic, shitty hipped & infection prone US lines they're awesome dogs.
I would never get an american GSD, they're nightmares just like labs and pretty much any popular breed in our AKC/canines as fashion accessory country.

Our dogs are from Czech working lines and both are issue free.
Great personalities, good with other dogs/kids but will rip the face of anyone who looks sideways at my family; just as I want it.
Only breed I'll own.

DSC_0194.JPG

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Why do you think that?
If you avoid the overbred, neurotic, shitty hipped & infection prone US lines they're awesome dogs.
I would never get an american GSD, they're nightmares just like labs and pretty much any popular breed in our AKC/canines as fashion accessory country.
worked for lady who had 12....she showed them.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
IMG_0591.JPG
..she showed them.
That explains it. The super pointy, slope-assed show dogs are genetic abominations.
The euro standard doesn't have the slope ass/extreme rear leg angle that causes mobility issues.

Last edited: