Quantcast

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sounds like you just went to all the wrong places.
I have had sublime cups in Italy, and I am a coffee nerd from way back.
Nope. I'm not joking. It's a prevelant myth that coffee should be bitter and strong (as in with much coffeine) bitter coffee = quality. If it's bitter than it means unwanted and often unhealthy ingredients of coffee have also sipped through the filters.

Also ask any high level brewer, cup taster or roaster which countries drink the highest quality coffee. The answer will be probably one of the northen european countries, not italy or france. It's hard as hell to get anything other than lavazza from a cheap espresso machine in italy. In big northen cities like Berlin, London, Stockholm on the other hand you will find tons of speciality coffee shops where top level, acclaimed brewers make great coffee from great roasting companies and that's not only espresso but also drip, aeropress, chemex, syphoon.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My friend's and myself all found it really hard to find a decent coffee in UK cities, almost uniformly burnt and or over extracted shots.
Are you serious? London, Edinborough and probably many others have amazing coffee shops. Just don't enter them at random. Read a bit and the concentration of good coffee places will surprise you

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Nope. I'm not joking. It's a prevelant myth that coffee should be bitter and strong (as in with much coffeine) bitter coffee = quality. If it's bitter than it means unwanted and often unhealthy ingredients of coffee have also sipped through the filters.

Also ask any high level brewer, cup taster or roaster which countries drink the highest quality coffee..
I have had different styles in almost every country in Europe (i lived there for a good while), and yes, I agree...in general. However, i have had outstanding, not bitter cups in many places in Italy and France. It's not black and white.
It's like European impressions on US beer...they think all anyone drinks here is Miller or Bud.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Coffee is coffee to me. Heck, I am using that instant crap right now as I can't afford to be dropping 2-3 dollars per day on one in the morning. It really only serves one purpose, to kick-start my bowels into motion by 11am.

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
great stuffs like that Aeropress. it beats machines that cost 324324234£.

norbar is right. Northern Europe is leading in tech... as always..

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Lets get this thread back on track :D
Exactly!!

Back to Porsche... haha.

But, this is a breakaway design by Porsche using F1 power-adders and an entirely new platform. Unreal total power output and driveability is the bottom line review, most outstanding is the measured CO2 emission is 79ppm which is lower almost all 2014 cars, and nearly one-half the amount of a typical small car. This car has 885BHP though - awesome.

There's 400ppm CO2 in ambient air.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have had different styles in almost every country in Europe (i lived there for a good while), and yes, I agree...in general. However, i have had outstanding, not bitter cups in many places in Italy and France. It's not black and white.
It's like European impressions on US beer...they think all anyone drinks here is Miller or Bud.

I agree. If you go to a random coffee place in any country 99/100 cases the coffee will be crap. The main difference between countries is how dificult it is to find a place with experienced brewers. Italians just don't like brewing (which is cheaper )and a good express costs a ton so roadside caffes are not very likely to offer consistent quality coffee.

@Samoto - have you tried Syphoon or Chemex? For me aeopress works only with some coffees though it's less picky about grind settings than hario drip. Still it's leaps and bounds than a machine. well unless someone bought one costing 8 grand but that's rare.

@Eaterofdog - a high end grinder can be easily bought for 500$. An espresso machine still requires it but also costs over 10 times more. At least if you want coffee that is consistent.

@Canadmos - try a good chemex and you will be converted.