Quantcast

Random new bike thread

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You want Steber to sell his guitars? Are you that mean???
He already did when they needed to finance the start of the carbon bike production. IMO that was a stupid decision but I am glad he thinks it was worth it.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
because naming your bike after rifles and guns was such a fucking unique idea in the beginning?
Even better, Specialized threatened to sue Intense, that is why there is no M5 but the M6. I wonder what BMW says to all this ///M naming?
And why not name bikes after guns? People talk about their new "weapon" with respect to their new bike, many get injured by them and they also do not mix well with booze. :lighten:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
looks like standard pinion twisters on there, no?

having spent some time on a pinion, i'm kinda meh about these things. twister / doesn't shifter under load / shitty POE / expensive / heavy(er) / not customer serviceable... conventional drivetrains are just so refined right now, gearboxes are a hard sell. and this coming from a super (ex) gearbox nerd.

Yeah, the PINION is just not there. I was the Zerode distributor for 8 years or more and never really got along with its inability to shift while pedalling. Rob didn't like that I mentioned a CR500 could shift pinned at 13,000 RPM at 60HP and no clutch why can't a PINION at 1/2 HP. Them costing $1200 or so isn't helping either. Plus they need service centres in a number of continents. Anyway, this is my bikes final form now. This is the least I have spent on a bike in a long while. I am trying to keep frame protected so went fender crazy...
image0-sm.jpg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I like having a big front fender when riding in the mud, there is nothing better to keep your eyes, or your goggles, clean.

Rear fender is more a question of opinion :pleasantry:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Ah yes, sweet memories of dragging the 60lb bike with both wheels jammed...
One problem is that for me, those are not ancient memories.
That is why I am total shit in the wet. Our local trails turn into peanut butter.
If you try to ride that, you end up with an unrideable rutted mess for the rest of the season, so I just stay away.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

7:35 - green bike with an idler: is this a Banshee Legend with an idler? If yes, why? Does it really need it?
Look, even if your bike already has an idler, it probably needs another one. The answer is always yes when it comes to moar chain and sprockets.

But for serious, if it is a Legend, perhaps they wanted a more rearward axle path and/or reduced chain growth.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Who are they? There’s nothing official, no info, no talk about it anywhere on the web, one big FAT nothing! Probably not official business bu Banshee themselves, so asked here to check if anyone’s heard or saw or read something, to check if someone can share if it improves something on the Legend. :)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Yes probably, I saw Dan and Ruben absolutely flying on the prototype in Morgins last summer.
Oh it’s definitely real, coming out mid February. I haven’t seen any images pop up anywhere so far, so I don’t want to leak what I have just yet. Nothing surprising really, just a mini Madonna, which is a very good thing in my eyes after having sampled one in September. I hope they sell a ton of them.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Oh it’s definitely real, coming out mid February. I haven’t seen any images pop up anywhere so far, so I don’t want to leak what I have just yet. Nothing surprising really, just a mini Madonna, which is a very good thing in my eyes after having sampled one in September. I hope they sell a ton of them.
Yes, it does. I rode it around in the parking lot and did laps with them when they were testing the first prototype. I was on a DH bike and they were going the same pace with the new little bike.
It looks real good!

Do you know Ruben the guy behind Raaw?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I was on a DH bike and they were going the same pace with the new little bike.
Not sure if this speaks for the quality of the bike or rather the lack of quality of the trail or your riding skills. Just sayin'.... ;) :D

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand

7:35 - green bike with an idler: is this a Banshee Legend with an idler? If yes, why? Does it really need it?
Certainly looks like it to me. I had a legend years ago and it did have a lot of anti squat, like when you sprinted it the rear end extended, quite a weird feeling.
I never had much of an issue feeling it pulling on the cranks when riding but the suspension got noticeably firmer when pedaling.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
I don't know, I'm still hiding the frame from my girlfriend and I'm waiting for parts to complete the build, so there's not a lot I can say about my particular bike. I've had a short stint on one of his test riders bikes and it felt pretty comfy, coming from a current Norco Range in large. Regarding the Pinkbike test, I wouldn't put it strictly in the trailbike bracket, which is narrow and obtuse anyway. Short travel enduro, but not banshee-spitfire like, less playfull more planted, still poppy. I can report back thoroughly, once the parts arrive and the initial bonding period is over.
Quick & short update.
I like it. Not a great climber, but so am I and I don't really care, there's no uphill-tech around here anyway. It isn't a light bike by any means, 15,5kg in the current setup, Exo tires, no fancy parts, with a coil shock it will be around 16kg.
Shock setup is odd, needs a LOT of rebound damping, I got bucked on the first 30 meters of trail I rode in any kind of anger, becaus parking lot test count for shit...
Apart from that I like the shortish rear end, to me it feels like a shorter bike than the geo conveys, it is still a lot of bike and wheelbase to move around though. Thanks to Covid I'm still waiting for my rear shock, right now I've got a DT-Swiss R 535 as an interim lender from Simon. This shock, oddly enough, performs better than the Ext I had for a day. If I had to descibe the general feel, I'd say planted, lots of traction, not really playful, in parts this might be due to the required high rebound. If you're going mach stupid it's way more fun and get's way livelier.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
ridden one.
Hated the seat tube angle
Say more. I almost bought one sight unseen, but chickened out because I'd not ridden anything with "modern" geometry (current trailbike is vintage 2014) and this thing is damn near post-modern grim donut territory.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What do you want me to say?
the seat tube angle positions the saddle pretty much above the BB
on the flat I absolutely hated pedalling while seated in that position.
The bike felt/handled absolutely fine while standing though.

If it were your only bike maybe you'd get used to it and maybe some folk don't even notice how horrible it feels to pedal seated on flat ground but I don't. I have a lot of bikes including a roadbike which I'll happily pedal for 100mile+ rides so for me it'd be unlikely to ever feel great.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Thanks, Gary. I would say 90% of my riding is in rolling terrain, so while i'm sure this bike is more than adequate on the down parts, wondering what an ST angle like that is like in constant, short technical climbs.