Quantcast

post a recent NBR pic thread........

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well for me, the bike didn't do anything but clutter up the flower (purportedly the subject). nothing wrong w/ getting a secondary object in the background, but that particular shot muddled it too much, imo.

composition is the art of framing the image to naturally draw the eye to the subject. competiting elements in the image are detrimental to this. also, the 'rule of thirds' is a good rule of thumb to use; not 100% of the time, but most.

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
well for me, the bike didn't do anything but clutter up the flower (purportedly the subject). nothing wrong w/ getting a secondary object in the background, but that particular shot muddled it too much, imo.

composition is the art of framing the image to naturally draw the eye to the subject. competiting elements in the image are detrimental to this. also, the 'rule of thirds' is a good rule of thumb to use; not 100% of the time, but most.

OK...thanks for the tips. I liked the bike in the back...only because it was a bike. I thought it gave it a nice contrasting element between metal and the flower. But I can see why you think it's cluttered as well.

Are you participating in the photography game on Friday? :cupidarrow:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the 3rd one (tighter framing) is better than the 2nd, but for a nice clear example, look @ the chair on the beach photo...the sandpiper is visible, but solitary and well separated from the primary subject. that's very nicely done; the fact that the water's edge is at the chair also adds a nice element.

not sure if i'll get any time to do the 'change' topic or not. i had a couple of ideas, but i'm still fighting through a photo backlog and have two more shots this week.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if people keep adding to it, it'll effectively become a sticky.

too bad the mic stand was in the way for this one (wooden wand's (aka james toth) arm and guitar)

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
I'll keep adding images... narlus, mic stand or not i like the photo.

too bad a I felt like crap after eating this...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
awesome picture. graphics, that's a great example of outstanding composition. i like the triangle effectively formed by the fries, ketchup cup, and printed text.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
OK, I wanna play too...

This was taken at a marketplace near Jerusalem.

The view looking from Gibraltar back into Spain

and the view from the other direction (not as good a photo optically, but more informative - yes, that is the ROCK of Gibraltar)

Barcelona, three photos from the Ramblas fresh market

Fresh meats... like really really fresh

Finding out just how fresh the rabbit is

(I found the marketplace fascinating!)

And here's one more marketplace... Ljubljana, Slovenia, in December

Graphics

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
Connecticut
Cool shot highrevs!!! I really like it. You ever try to contact any of the stock photography places? I so can see using a shot like that in the stuff I do for work. :clapping:

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
Cool shot highrevs!!! I really like it. You ever try to contact any of the stock photography places? I so can see using a shot like that in the stuff I do for work. :clapping:
I would like to. I have thought about the stock photography idea... but I have not devoted the time to chase it, yet.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
k, slightly off topic, but how much $$ have some of you guys spent on your camera rigs? I was talking with a guy last weekend (A pro photo guy) who dropped 12k on his gear. Admittedly, he is a pro, but I got my old AE1 set up for free...(Not a pro...)

highrevs

Monkey
Oct 13, 2005
NC
We had a company golf outing this past Friday. I suck at golf, so I took the camera and a few beers for additional entertainment.