Quantcast

Please help identify Fox 40DH spring (photo)

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Picture attached. This is out of an 07 40 but I bought it used. The shrink tube in the middle seems to be black? The spring is definitely Ti. And yes, that is the new 2009 Saint Dishwasher and 2010 Prototype Deity Tile.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
The below text is from the 06 40 manual, so they must have been using colors by then. Maybe this is from 05??? I just found the below picture on an old forsale thread, I guess the color is pretty obvious for the springs that are color coded! Mine isn't painted, it's raw Ti.

COIL SPRING GUIDELINES
Fox Part # Spring Rate Color Code Rider Weight
(lbs.)
039-05-070 30 lb/in (339 N-cm) Black <90 &#8211; 120
039-05-071 35 lb/in (395 N-cm) Purple 120 &#8211; 150
039-05-072 40 lb/in (452 N-cm) Blue 150 &#8211; 180
039-05-063 45 lb/in (508 N-cm) Green 180 &#8211; 210
039-05-074 50 lb/in (565 N-cm) Yellow 210 &#8211; >240

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
yup.
but i didnt think the '06's were Ti...mine wasnt
The older forks came with one stock ti spring.

Yup, it could be an 05 as well. My first 2 fox forks (05 and 06) both had raw ti springs installed stock. In both cases they were the medium weight and i had to go 1 or 2 spring weights lighter (145lbs).

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Quick off topic question. I have an 06 40 and the spring didnt come with the plastic wrapped around it. What exactly is that for, and is there anything anyone could suggest using in place of it? Or does it even matter that its not there?

The reason I ask is cause Im pretty sure the spring is flexing inside the fork and rubbing the inner tubes causing an annoying noise.

Thanx, and sorry again for the off topic question.....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The older forks came with one stock ti spring.

Yup, it could be an 05 as well. My first 2 fox forks (05 and 06) both had raw ti springs installed stock. In both cases they were the medium weight and i had to go 1 or 2 spring weights lighter (145lbs).
yeah youre right. my fork was a '05...the first year they came out. i changed it for the dual rate Ti springs from go-ride....what a waste of money.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's heat shrink tubing, it keeps the rattling down to some extent when the fork compresses. You can get it at any hardware store and shrink it with a heat gun or hairdryer.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Quick off topic question. I have an 06 40 and the spring didnt come with the plastic wrapped around it. What exactly is that for, and is there anything anyone could suggest using in place of it? Or does it even matter that its not there?

The reason I ask is cause Im pretty sure the spring is flexing inside the fork and rubbing the inner tubes causing an annoying noise.

Thanx, and sorry again for the off topic question.....
if youre concerned about it, then replace it with more shrink wrap

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It's heat shrink tubing, it keeps the rattling down to some extent when the fork compresses. You can get it at any hardware store and shrink it with a heat gun or hairdryer.
Thanx. I've actually looked for heat shrink tubing before, but couldnt find any that would fit around the diameter of the spring. Guess I'll have to keep looking....

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Thanx. I've actually looked for heat shrink tubing before, but couldnt find any that would fit around the diameter of the spring. Guess I'll have to keep looking....
they have bigger rolls of heat shrink available at most hardware stores, in the electrical aisle.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
I looked up the '05 manual online and it lists the same color and rate table, so that's a red herring. In any case, the $10,000 question is:

What is the spring rate of the fox 40 unpainted ti spring?

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I looked up the '05 manual online and it lists the same color and rate table, so that's a red herring. In any case, the $10,000 question is:

What is the spring rate of the fox 40 unpainted ti spring?

As far as I remember the older Fox 40 springs had some small color markings / stripes on the outside of the springs. These were just painted on and after some time would be prone to wear away, look closely and maybe there is still evidence of some of that color marking.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
ill send you my paypal account first then ill tell you
hmmm... ok maybe it's the $1 question.

By the way IH8Rice, why do you say the go-ride springs a waste of money? Don't they make the rate more progressive? My current unknown springs have good small bump compliance but I bottom too easily so those were looking good (albeit expensive).

As far as I remember the older Fox 40 springs had some small color markings / stripes on the outside of the springs. These were just painted on and after some time would be prone to wear away, look closely and maybe there is still evidence of some of that color marking.
Now that's good info. I didn't see anything, but I will take the spring back out and go over it very carefully tonight.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Spring weight sets sag. Compression damping controls the rest. If you have the correct spring weight, up your compression damping to help with bottom out. The newer fox forks are much more progressive due to different cartridge internals.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Spring weight sets sag. Compression damping controls the rest. If you have the correct spring weight, up your compression damping to help with bottom out. The newer fox forks are much more progressive due to different cartridge internals.
OK, here's the whole story. My sag is reasonable, 1 inch if I get on the bike super lightly, 1.75" if I kind of hop on (but don't bounce). In either case, the o-ring is against the seal when I'm sitting static. I'm 172lb with no gear. Fox recommends 1.2-2.0 on the 8" setting, so in any case I don't have way too much sag.

I just got this bike and fork, so I'm figuring it out. My ankle is still hurt so I'm taking it easy, but last night I could bottom it (not hard, but it was definitely hitting the hydraulic bottom out ramp) consistently off of a 5 foot drop to a good transition. I definitely have bigger than 5 foot plans for this bike.

I don't really want to crank up the high speed compression damping just for bigger drops, and have poor sharp edged performance. Granted I haven't tried that yet with this fork.

When you say "newer fox forks" what year did the changeover happen? They don't have position sensitive damping, so I would think even if the default is more high speed compression it would still hurt sharp edged performance.

Thanks for your advice,

Andy

Last edited:

Npdh

Monkey
Apr 29, 2007
OK, here's the whole story. My sag is reasonable, 1 inch if I get on the bike super lightly, 1.75" if I kind of hop on (but don't bounce). In either case, the o-ring is against the seal when I'm sitting static. I'm 172lb with no gear. Fox recommends 1.2-2.0 on the 8" setting, so in any case I don't have way too much sag.

I just got this bike and fork, so I'm figuring it out. My ankle is still hurt so I'm taking it easy, but last night I could bottom it (not hard, but it was definitely hitting the hydraulic bottom out ramp) consistently off of a 5 foot drop to a good transition. I definitely have bigger than 5 foot plans for this bike.

I don't really want to crank up the high speed compression damping just for bigger drops, and have poor sharp edged performance. Granted I haven't tried that yet with this fork.

When you say "newer fox forks" what year did the changeover happen? They don't have position sensitive damping, so I would think even if the default is more high speed compression it would still hurt sharp edged performance.

Thanks for your advice,

Andy
40's really change in the 08.

I had a 06 and right now I have a new 09 catrigde and is a kick in the ass. Reaaaaaaally good stuff there. Change between year AREN'T big ones, but definitely they make a huge difference.

I' running right now the soft spring on my Fox. The Black one. On my PDC I'm getting the perfect sag so I haven't change the spring. What I did, was putting more shims (stiff) on the HSC stack creating a stiffer port.

The thing is that your HSC isn't really a High speed as we understand. Is more like a Blowoff of the LSC. So You won't feel noticeable your HSC if you run you LSC open.

I reccomend putting more shims on the HSC stack and also putting a small oring on the by pass valve on the rebound piston (on the top)

Really is working for me right now and the linear spring is really great because (like that) my 40 don't feel spiking at all at HSC and isn't bottoming on a 5 foot drop.

Cya ! and good luck.!

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
I could almost gauranteedidlyoodily that that is a blue Ti spring.

Same thing in my 06' 40's and I measured the rate and it was infact a blue.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
I've taken some better photos but my photo site is down for the moment so I'll post them up later.

There are no markings at all on the spring that I can find. It doesn't even look like it was marked with paint and some of it wore off. I did notice that the silver surface is actually a paint, you can see a little shiny ti at the ends where they flatten the spring, but I don't think that matters, it's definitely a factory finish.

dilzy, thanks for the info, that is believable. How did you measure the rate, out of curiosity? I realize if it's a blue a 40lb weight should compress it 1 inch, but I don't really have a handy-dandy 40lb weight :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The markings on these springs were tiny little marker lines of the proper color. I believe blue was correct. I didn't mention them because the oil takes off the paint in about 2 hours of riding.

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Thanks Transcend. do you know if it was only the "blue" spring that was made in this silver color, or other springs were made in this color with different weights and different marker lines?

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
I sent the same photo of the spring that I posted on this thread soon after I posted this thread, and got a response back a bit ago. Official word from fox is that this is a "blue" spring, so you guys were right. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has a Green ti spring they'd like to sell, drop me a line.

Andy

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Is it common for 40's to knock when compressed? This is my first 40 (it's an 09) and the thing bugs the sh*t out of me. It has a green Ti spring, with heat shrink.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Is it common for 40's to knock when compressed? This is my first 40 (it's an 09) and the thing bugs the sh*t out of me. It has a green Ti spring, with heat shrink.
Yes, its where the spring deforms when it compresses. You can lessen the knock by running with a larger bit of shrink wrap.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The 09s have a Blue ti spring stock, no? Sometimes the heat shrink migrates it's way down to the bottom of the spring and then it will start making noise again. Help it back up to the middle.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nope, '08 (might have even been '07) onwards moved to the green Ti spring as standard & blue & yellow steel spares.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
All the 2009 forks around here came with blue ti springs and had a purple and green spare. With the new 09 damping many people can drop a spring rate. All the forks before 2009 had green ti springs stock, to the best of my knowledge. You can measure the thickness of the coils and compare to another spring to be sure.