Quantcast

Pinnacle bike racing ZOMG totally different and betterer

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Just saw that the finals were today... wonder how it went...

from the Waterville Valley Resort site:

The Pinnacle Bike Championship is a wrap! Bryn Atkinson takes home the top spot! 2nd place goes to Mick Hannah, 3rd goes to Fabiane Cousinie, 4th to Matt Simmonds, and 5th to Graema Pitts! Thanks to everyone that came out and made this event so great!
happy for Bryn.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
my guess: one run, not more. if there were more riders than the wc guys you would have seen them either on top or at the bottom in the finish area. there were even less spectators than at a windham world cup

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Looked like about 50 spectators........

I think racing 9 of your mates down that would still be a whole bunch of fun and with enough spectators/beer it would be pretty cool, except for the crappy jumps they should be dirt and full width.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I was there and shot photos for Vital.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Pinnacle-Bike-Championships,8155/Slideshow,0/iceman2058,94

It was actually pretty cool. Probably more than 50 spectators. I'd say at least 60. There were 14 riders. They did three heats on Sunday to pick the 10 riders for finals. So there were a total of 7 races. The heats were a bit low key compared to finals because it was more about not getting eliminated than winning the heat and nobody wanted to get hurt in the heat, it would have been like a football player getting hurt at the Pro Bowl. The racing itself was pretty cool, the problem is that you were on the hill all day and saw only a few seconds of racing, unlike a World Cup where you have a few hours of rider after rider. If there were more riders and the heats and semis and stuff mattered it would be really cool to spectate. I think if you asked any rider that was there he'd say he'd come back and do it again. It wasn't without it's problems and I'm not sure if they can all be fixed or not but it had some good moments too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was there and shot photos for Vital.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Pinnacle-Bike-Championships,8155/Slideshow,0/iceman2058,94

It was actually pretty cool. Probably more than 50 spectators. I'd say at least 60. There were 14 riders. They did three heats on Sunday to pick the 10 riders for finals. So there were a total of 7 races. The heats were a bit low key compared to finals because it was more about not getting eliminated than winning the heat and nobody wanted to get hurt in the heat, it would have been like a football player getting hurt at the Pro Bowl. The racing itself was pretty cool, the problem is that you were on the hill all day and saw only a few seconds of racing, unlike a World Cup where you have a few hours of rider after rider. If there were more riders and the heats and semis and stuff mattered it would be really cool to spectate. I think if you asked any rider that was there he'd say he'd come back and do it again. It wasn't without it's problems and I'm not sure if they can all be fixed or not but it had some good moments too.
considering how they hyped it, the event definitely does not seem like it lived up to expectations.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think the racing could be kind of cool, but the hype was just too much. I think it's OK that mountain biking takes place on trails, and not giant grass slopes with giant jumps. I also think that trying to get your series off the ground with no major sponsors and charging spectators is an insult to the relatively small community that we have...BUTT if 50 people paid to stand around in the cold and watch all 12 racers go for it, then more power.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
considering how they hyped it, the event definitely does not seem like it lived up to expectations.
I guess it depends on what your expectations were. Mine were pretty low. It did not take much to exceed them.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
considering who they invited, it seemed like a mad scramble to get any "pro" there when all those big names didnt show up. what a joke and waste of time and effort