Quantcast

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I see in alot of races (mostly WC races and important ones) Many people ride with their (pajama) pants. Is there a reason for this, I figure its mostly because sponsors want them to, but, Why should sam hill have to ride pants in 95 degree WC weather. I live in NJ, hardly the hottest place ever, and only a few people in pro class wear pants, everybody else is shorts. I will run them if its cold or muddy and ****ty (to stay cleaner) Not all pros wear pants, obviously (<quote material)

Why do (some) of the pros wear pants, no matter what the weather is, even when their sponsors make shorts too-which i would assume is more likely to sell, i dont care how cool/gay the WC kits are if they are pants; shorts you have my attention. Whats the deal, is there an advantage to pants, i can only figure your hotter, have less room (unless they are super baggy-than more drag) and they are heavier.

Discuss

Does 3 Ti rotor bolts cancel out the affects of pajama pants?

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
Not sure about the UCI WC rules.

But in some series, pants are mandatory, i know it is in the IXS cup in the euroleague.

I think they actually go by UCIs regulations, so in theory everyone on the WC circuit should be wearing pants and not shorts ? but thats just me speculating.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if pros wear pants, that means you should.

i wear shorts all year, even in the winter. pants suck in the high humidity of the east.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if pros wear pants, that means you should.

i wear shorts all year, even in the winter. pants suck in the high humidity of the east.
honestly, pants aren't that bad. my TLD's have really good ventilation. During the summer i'm no less comfortable in pants than shorts. Granted that's with TLD's. I picked up a pair of NEMA's for this season.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I borrowed some Royal pants for a riding trip last year (and then bought some) but found them to be only marginally warmer than shorts. They seem to breathe really well and I didn't notice them being overly warm at all. Once you factor in the knee armour you're wearing either way you're really only covering the bottom part of your calves anyway.

They do afford quite a bit more protection than shorts do by nature of not being able to move when you're sliding and so they tend to stay in place better. Also, in windy conditions they lack the forward leg opening that pants have when you sit down to pedal so they don't act like an air brake for your legs.

Either way, the riders are all well at truly compentent at dressing themselves so why we'd debate their clothing sense is beyond me. I'm sure they've considered the the pros and cons of clothing choice and can be trusted to make sure no young viewers are unwillingly exposed to scandalous calf flashing mid race run.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
In the past several pros have had the problem with catching shorts on the top of their fork stanchions. I don't know if that happened to sam hill or not, but having said that he wore shorts at the worlds in MSA last year...I am not sure exactly. It is hard to say exactly.

I prefer wearing pants to be honest with you, but that's just personal preference.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
I see in alot of races (mostly WC races and important ones) Many people ride with their (pajama) pants. Is there a reason for this, I figure its mostly because sponsors want them to, but, Why should sam hill have to ride pants in 95 degree WC weather. I live in NJ, hardly the hottest place ever, and only a few people in pro class wear pants, everybody else is shorts. I will run them if its cold or muddy and ****ty (to stay cleaner) Not all pros wear pants, obviously (<quote material)

Why do (some) of the pros wear pants, no matter what the weather is, even when their sponsors make shorts too-which i would assume is more likely to sell, i dont care how cool/gay the WC kits are if they are pants; shorts you have my attention. Whats the deal, is there an advantage to pants, i can only figure your hotter, have less room (unless they are super baggy-than more drag) and they are heavier.

Discuss

Does 3 Ti rotor bolts cancel out the affects of pajama pants?
Remember when your teacher said "theres no such thing as a bad question"? well.....

That dude, who races sport, in moto pants, he doesn't win or lose because he wears pants. The podium at world cups, those dudes don't win or lose because of what garmets they wear on their lower body. That's it, that's all.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Remember when your teacher said "theres no such thing as a bad question"? well.....

That dude, who races sport, in moto pants, he doesn't win or lose because he wears pants. The podium at world cups, those dudes don't win or lose because of what garmets they wear on their lower body. That's it, that's all.
very true, but i am watchin the races thinking, wtf are they wearing pants for, its 100 degrees :eek:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
very true, but i am watchin the races thinking, wtf are they wearing pants for, its 100 degrees :eek:
I'm with you on this one. Don't understand the pants thing. I live in the South, if I could get away with no shirt I would. Pants don't make any sense to me during the summer.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Its not uncommon to see a few guys riding diablo without a shirt, granted they have more balls than we do, but i have seen it more than once

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
and I bet African people are watching american thinking WTF are they wearing silly looking sneakers and weird looking clothes . . .If you've tried them both and like your shorts better, so be it, shorts works better for you, enjoy the racing for what it is not for what it looks like...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
and I bet African people are watching american thinking WTF are they wearing silly looking sneakers and weird looking clothes . . .If you've tried them both and like your shorts better, so be it, shorts works better for you, enjoy the racing for what it is not for what it looks like...
dude, it was South Africa. Its about as white as Orange County California.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I don't think I've ever caught my shorts on my shifters....
I've got a metal plate and 6 screws in my left forearm after catching my shorts on my shifters on the valley trail. 9 months of no riding by the time winter was over.

Wasn't drunk at the time, just heading for a Phat Wed.

I ride in pants. I'm ok with being a little warm at times.

Mind you, i also use it as an excuse not to wear knee/shin pads, so it's not too hot.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I've only ever worn shorts for dh up until this spring when I've picked up a pair of pants to keep dirt out of my new knee brace (second acl surgery).

Didn't even take a full ride to feel completely comfortable in the pants. I don't find them any more or less restrictive than the shorts while descending and the full coverage is comforting in narrow sections of trail. Hasn't gotten super hot out here, but they breath plenty well when you're up to speed.

Of course I'm also pretty used to pants from moto riding so that make skew my opinion.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I've only ever worn shorts for dh up until this spring when I've picked up a pair of pants to keep dirt out of my new knee brace (second acl surgery).
I remember hearing that this was the reason that the fanboy generator that is Sam Hill started wearing pants. Not sure i imagined it though.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
It sucks a little that even when Demo 9 asks a question that may have a legit answer, people like to talk sh!t just because it's him. It doesn't suck a LOT though, just a little.

I'm somewhat curious as to whether there's a non-comfort related reason as to pants vs. shorts for the high level guys, and maybe more room for sponsor logos could be a reason?

I thought it was obvious from the beginning that he wasn't asking in order to try and "get that extra edge" or whatever.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
After I had a stick go through my leg I always wear pants. I hate knee/shin (and they wouldn't have stopped the stick) and pants aren't that much warmer but keep me clean and offer some protection.

2 general anasthetics, 11stitches, and 2 months of the bike that wouldn't have happened in pants.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I am Banzai, there is no such thing as pants for me. Knickers at best.

For those who say 'why do you care; why ask; why does it matter' -- Why are you responding?

Oh, you had an opinion TOO!!

nifty.

Shorts rule.

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
pants keep my knee pads in place when I tomahawk.
quoted for truth.

I have worn pants for dh ever since I tried them for the first time. Just feels better to me. You are over thinking this to no end, it's like flats vs clips - personal preference.

jules

Chimp
Aug 3, 2010
I wear both. Shorts mainly when I need pockets for phone/keys, if that's not an issue, pants.
TLD GP Air pants have a mesh fabrict in strategic places and it keeps you cooler than shorts.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't ride DH much anymore, but when I did a lot I changed between pants and shorts, but generally preferred pants unless it was really hot out. Better protection and keeping pads in place were the main reasons, but I guess they just felt good to wear also. I did get a pair of heavily vented light pants for the summer (Moose Sahara, I think), which also moved better for pedaling as well.

Also, I did catch my shifter on my shorts once, but it was on an XC ride. Ended up bending the aluminum shifter paddle really badly, so I had to set it in the middle ring and deal with that for a few hours. One reason I prefer bibs for XC riding.