Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
can you repeat that in plain english?
@HardtailHack We have those too, they are in Tesla's, on phones and headed to Starbucks..lol I tapped on the glass of a driver the other day being a total asshole and told them to get the fu(# off the phone or I'll lodge it in his ass...he smiled and put his phone down...

I told the wife I'm done couple months ago, she had me be passive and not say things...let it go on..
Nope, that was a fun experiment...not for me

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I use to think the bears around here were pretty harmless. They'd knock over the garbage cans, I'd yell at them and chase them away with the dog (he's smart enough to not actually chase them, just bark).

Went out this fall at night without the dog, yelled at the bear and shined my flashlight at him and he half charged me. I pretty much shit my pants while running to the house.

I don't mess with them anymore, let them knock the bear proof cans all over the driveway. :D

A lady got killed and partially eaten a few years ago walking her dogs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I use to think the bears around here were pretty harmless. They'd knock over the garbage cans, I'd yell at them and chase them away with the dog (he's smart enough to not actually chase them, just bark).

Went out this fall at night without the dog, yelled at the bear and shined my flashlight at him and he half charged me. I pretty much shit my pants while running to the house.

I don't mess with them anymore, let them knock the bear proof cans all over the driveway. :D

A lady got killed and partially eaten a few years ago walking her dogs.

During an examination Saturday night, a state wildlife pathologist found human remains inside the stomachs of two black bears found nearby.

Assholes. Probably from texas.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Picked this up on the (very) cheap yesterday. Rear shock, Fox Van, has a clunk about 1/4 way into the travel, but for the price I’m okay with that. Other than that, it’s in pretty good shape. Looking forward to throwing a leg over it next season.
IMG_4224.jpeg

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Scored some rare King hubs.
32 hole, 6 bolt, with the old style needle bearing driver/rear axle. These are the ones that last 10-15 years no problem.
Bearings are butter.

Just missing a $12 end cap and with a slightly chewed HG driver.

Going to build up with some Ibis Send alloy rims with 35mm IW, 5mm spoke bed offset.
We'll see....

1208230857a.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I have a 2005 King rear with Fun Bolts and can’t find a way to upgrade it to a modern hub standard road or MTB. ☹

I've one that age and was able to go to 12x42. And then you could do 12x148 with other adapters and rotor spacer if needed.

I think it was just their 12x135 kit with their own little end caps on each side of the axle to space it out to 142.

Guess the trick now is finding some place that has those parts

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
And I think I know who was buying all the toilet paper during the pandemic.
Nah. We always keep a strategic reserve. OK. Maybe we bought a bit extra. I mean, we also stocked up on my preferred 11 speed drivetrain parts, tires, and brake pads.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@HardtailHack We have those too, they are in Tesla's, on phones and headed to Starbucks..lol I tapped on the glass of a driver the other day being a total asshole and told them to get the fu(# off the phone or I'll lodge it in his ass...he smiled and put his phone down...

I told the wife I'm done couple months ago, she had me be passive and not say things...let it go on..
Nope, that was a fun experiment...not for me
My drive to work is less than ten minutes, in three weeks I saw three near misses all had a Prado at fault.
Two near head ons because they blindly turned across incoming traffic and the other went to do a blind lane change to sneak up the inside lane.
If you have no spatial awareness you should be in a Smart car, not a Prado.
There was a young dude last week that looked like he had driven his GU in to the swamp on a straight bit of road, must have nodded off or something.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
^^ so the same quality as their pedals. Sorry, still pissed off about purchasing their shitty Vaults. Slipping bars is next level though.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
It will be night and day difference, I swear* I could get 20mm of twist at the end of the bar running one of those pieces of shit.
*20mm of feels.
I was OK with it because I told myself my knees loved me for using such a clean design. Then the bars started moving, a terrible thing! The bar clamps have that 3/4 clamp that has to be put on in the narrower portion of the bar and slide down to the stem clamp area. Why they couldn't put that wedge steerer clamp and a more robust bar clamp together is beyond me.

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
What bar are you running? Thinking of going the same route > more rise and less spacers. Currently running a 30mm Renthal but would also like to try a bar with a little less back sweep.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What bar are you running? Thinking of going the same route > more rise and less spacers. Currently running a 30mm Renthal but would also like to try a bar with a little less back sweep.
If you can find something with 30+ rise and less backsweep than a Renthal let me know. I've been looking for years.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
20231212_211859.jpg

They're Deity Highside 50mm rise bars. They've got 9 degrees of back sweep and Renthal has 7 so theyre a little more than what your used to. I prefer less spacers and taller bars for some reason. That DMR stem had 5 degrees of rise and I ran it flipped and slammed with my tall bars. It was bad to the bone except for the part about the stem sucking at holding the bars.

KAZHA

Chimp
Feb 20, 2015
Flat AF
Picked this up on the (very) cheap yesterday. Rear shock, Fox Van, has a clunk about 1/4 way into the travel, but for the price I’m okay with that. Other than that, it’s in pretty good shape. Looking forward to throwing a leg over it next season.
View attachment 204774
what size did you get? can't decide between L and XL, cause according to scott, both fit me. currently riding previous gen ganmbler and L is on the small size

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
what size did you get? can't decide between L and XL, cause according to scott, both fit me. currently riding previous gen ganmbler and L is on the small size
The XL is a lot of bike. 495/500mm of reach on a DH bike isn’t for everyone unless you are very tall. Sounds like an L would work unless you want all out stability and are very tall.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I’m 6’2” and got the XL. Doesn’t feel all that much different from my XL 2019 Sender just farting around the small hill behind my house. Wont get a chance to really get a feel for it until next season, but for the price I couldn’t pass it up.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Glad I washed my bike last week, it sorta looks like it is about to fold so I ordered a Norco Torrent S1 as a fallback bike so I can ride all holidays.
After I get it I'll have to hit some jumps on the Tor to see if my suspicions are wrong and it's just a weird paint issue.
Must be 10 years since I've had two working bikes at one time, I feel so fancy.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First one is always the most nerve racking lol...not sure how it'll all work out...ramp originally pushed off the extensions lol...
Ok so first hit ramp is 54" back and bag is 24" above ramp.
We raised ramp 10" at legs just to get it there.
need bigger ramp, doing run in tomorrow (cutting cactus down on top of hill lol) and moving ramp back 5-8'..

Better run in, more anchored rise on legs , move ramp back...

Now we hammer down
Screenshot_20231214_171427_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You got neighbours out on the lawn chairs yet? :eek: :panic::D
Lol yeah had one come over to front of fence and the others were peaking over fence.. our neighborhood is clean and all houses are nice yards are nice.. we are getting ready to paint our house and finish up rv parking ..they have big pools with rock features and waterfalls...I have a airbag and ramp as well as a roller drop off hill lol

Making a roll up to roll bag off lawn and cover ramp so I can leave em out there...covered and not obvious when stored.
So they are all super cool and we all have a block party and kids have a Halloween party with a huge inflatable screen and scary movies on Halloween In culdesac..

Last edited: