Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Hey Brother,I forgot the name of those Brake Lines,who makes those? Grafton,no. I run one for the rear on my HardTail. But I read somwhere here that you can not find them anymore? True?

Avy
Avy

No idea on brand or make.
Had a couple from I don't know where and liked them.
Found them on aliexpress and ordered a batch; this was years ago now.
No idea who I got them from, but they are all over aliexpress, for example...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hey Brother,I forgot the name of those Brake Lines,who makes those?
goodridge lines, made specifically for hope

search 'goodridge hope'

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Not gonna derail this thread for too long, so I just got some blue Chromag Format grips for my fat bike.

Man it was quiet in that bike shop. I asked the guy for a blue Deity seat post clamp and he didn’t feel like looking for it and told me that it would be easy to find online. His manager didn’t seem really happy with that answer, but he was right, I found one online in 5 minutes (on sale too) and bought it.

Let’s hope that they make it through, but they had a guy willing to buy some useless color matching parts (might have got some pedals too while I was there) and told him to go check online.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Disco brakes from the UK also makes braided lines:

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They also made those for Hayes Mag brakes, I almost got some when I kinked my rear hose, but it wasn’t worth it for my use back then.
They were good hoses, my bike went for a solo trip and the brake line got between a boulder and a stanchion.
Left a pretty solid dent in the stanchion but the Hope brakes worked just as poorly as before the crash, I was impressed.
I had them on my Maguras too, the hoses were the only decent parts on four sets of brakes I had.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
With some help from the :monkey: expat @buckoW , I got my hands on a German edition of the DSD RUNT but in Boxxer size.
Chickadeehill AWK or the GRUNT as I have coined it.

Takes up about the same room as 9 volume spacers, and weighs 110g.

Fit & finish and engineering are a few steps above the DSD version. It has a super light piston that is hollowed out and uses a quad ring instead of a standard o-ring and the body itself is finished more like a fork stanchion. The whole assembly is much lighter. Seems to have less initial stiction than a RUNT.

Stoked to try it out, I'm thinking about a Bootleg Canyon trip otherwise it's going to be a long time waiting for the snow to go bye bye.

1223231629b.jpg

1223231653c.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
chicken, egg

one usually follows the other but the bike tends to get there first
No more ubiquitous audio sequencing than the sound of rim on rock, a hiss of air, the weird squirming noises of a sudden underinflated tyre and then the inevitable cursing of a rider.

I reckon you could make the first three sounds a recording and wake most sleeping riders up with it and they'd wake up swearing

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Thank You my Monkey Brothers for all the posts. I just got off work,beer in hand and waiting on a burger.

I Love my XT 4 pots and Saint Brakes. I ran the XT’s on the HardTail,Saints on the Super 8. On the HardTail I ran a rear 6” rotor,but I found out quickly I was lacking Power,brake felt great,but not enough power. So after a couple pad changes,it was time Togo with a bigger Rotor. I went with the 203. Fucking proper like a Whopper. However,it was a ton of Hardware and I was hoping for a slightly smaller rotor,and a cleaner look. Then Shimano released a 170 Rotor so I got that. I also got the GoodRidge and it was perfect. I like the look of them,no complaints. I probably didnt need um,but fuck it as I thought it could not hurt. I would buy them again. I don’t need them for the Front,so I never put it on. This is going back decades,the year they came out. Circa what?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
With some help from the :monkey: expat @buckoW , I got my hands on a German edition of the DSD RUNT but in Boxxer size.

Fit & finish and engineering are a few steps above the DSD version. It has a super light piston that is hollowed out and uses a quad ring instead of a standard o-ring and the body itself is finished more like a fork stanchion. The whole assembly is much lighter. Seems to have less initial stiction than a RUNT.

Stoked to try it out, I'm thinking about a Bootleg Canyon trip otherwise it's going to be a long time waiting for the snow to go bye bye.

View attachment 205452

View attachment 205454
Good ole buck.

Avy

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No more ubiquitous audio sequencing than the sound of rim on rock, a hiss of air, the weird squirming noises of a sudden underinflated tyre and then the inevitable cursing of a rider.
......the sound of a schwalbe tire exploding the bead out of a rim up a 7ft lip

Plenty of time to get multiple curse words out on that one before ditching the bike, stop drop and rollin

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I reckon you could make the first three sounds a recording and wake most sleeping riders up with it and they'd wake up swearing
I got you covered. Got this double flat on a rock.
This spot has sliced 4 of my tires :mad:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

View attachment 205452

View attachment 205454
You can go even fancier than a nitrile Quadring and go to a Multiseal, I've been wanting to try these on something at work-

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
You can go even fancier than a nitrile Quadring and go to a Multiseal, I've been wanting to try these on something at work-
I have to say I've got the feeling that the seals of a modern air spring are not a real source of stiction at all. Bushings under load and lubrication are a much bigger factor.
The only reason to go towards coil is the change in spring curve... but that's just my $0.02

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have to say I've got the feeling that the seals of a modern air spring are not a real source of stiction at all. Bushings under load and lubrication are a much bigger factor.
The only reason to go towards coil is the change in spring curve... but that's just my $0.02
Not to mention that friction in a secondary chamber like this isn't going to be felt through the main air spring.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Less friction is always better, no matter how minor it is. I have worked on some air springs where you can definitely feel the friction from the main piston. Fox changed the quad ring size on the 36 3-4 years back because of this (went to a smaller size with less squeeze), with everything else remaining the same.

The friction in the secondary chamber may not be easy to feel, but you can see it on the dyno as a sharp transition when the second piston starts moving. Reducing the sharp transition is the goal.

Multiple small incremental changes can have a notable result in performance.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Or just use a coil spring. The resources the industry has put into trying to polish the turd of air springs is beyond insanity.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Less friction is always better, no matter how minor it is. I have worked on some air springs where you can definitely feel the friction from the main piston. Fox changed the quad ring size on the 36 3-4 years back because of this (went to a smaller size with less squeeze), with everything else remaining the same.

The friction in the secondary chamber may not be easy to feel, but you can see it on the dyno as a sharp transition when the second piston starts moving. Reducing the sharp transition is the goal.

Multiple small incremental changes can have a notable result in performance.
With no negative chamber to deal with you can put in some good slick oil into the chamber so part of the seal is always lubricated.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Or just use a coil spring. The resources the industry has put into trying to polish the turd of air springs is beyond insanity.

And then the DH forum could return to it's glory days when every other thread was about progressive springs, oil volume for proper progression and adding air caps to fine tune spring rates.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Pretty hard to beat the lovely controlled rebound you get with a coil spring and the zero hesitation as suspension changes direction. It's super confidence inspiring.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Man,I Love this debate. I am with Jm_ on this one. Not that I have an any experience on Air,just that I have been happy with coil. If I was a lighter man back in the day,I would have tried Air,but I was not. Westy,mulch and the others make a good argument for Air,enough to make me wana try it. Shit,at this point to me,it is simply a matter of,”pick your poison”.

Air has come a long way,has it not Jm?

What is that saying boys? Light,Strong Cheap,pick one? Is that correct?

Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hopefully you have good luck with it. I'm on my third nomad frame in 4 months. Feels like I could streamline this whole thing by just putting it straight in the bin.
I didn't beat on my nomad, didn't have it long..so for short term it got rode pretty rough..

What happened with yours, front rear, same place , weak link?? Just curious as to keep an eye on.

My 2019 HTLT I went 150/170 mullet and rode upper er lower hmer and several other spots..beat it like a DH bike and it handled it...broke the bars and destroyed the shock..frame held

Rodge

Chimp
Apr 15, 2021
I didn't beat on my nomad, didn't have it long..so for short term it got rode pretty rough..

What happened with yours, front rear, same place , weak link?? Just curious as to keep an eye on.

My 2019 HTLT I went 150/170 mullet and rode upper er lower hmer and several other spots..beat it like a DH bike and it handled it...broke the bars and destroyed the shock..frame held
First one had misaligned shock mounts, drilled it and ran a helicoil for a while until it cracked at the join between the shock mounts and the downtube, would give it the benefit of the doubt but the second one cracked there as well with a different shock that had spherical bearings. Both had the left hand chainstay crack on the top. Second one has chunks missing in the integrated headset and the dropper cable routing didn't work.

Rodge

Chimp
Apr 15, 2021
thats why i got it, gonna put a super deluxe coil in it again and slightly overshock it to 177mm travel (with 65mm hub)
Totally 'unrelated' to my disappointing nomad. I have a very nice Ext E-storia in 230x65 with spherical bearings that you can't quite buy yet that I'm trying to sell.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Hopefully you have good luck with it. I'm on my third nomad frame in 4 months. Feels like I could streamline this whole thing by just putting it straight in the bin.
dang. what version? my v4cc has taken beatings from snowshow to bad decisions on backcountry chunk to local goofing-off and been super solid (although it did replace a v4c whose chainstays blew up on a random off-kilter landing).

Rodge

Chimp
Apr 15, 2021
dang. what version? my v4cc has taken beatings from snowshow to bad decisions on backcountry chunk to local goofing-off and been super solid (although it did replace a v4c whose chainstays blew up on a random off-kilter landing).
It's a V6 but I saw a V5 crack in the same place on the shock mounts this summer so I'm not sure it's exclusively the V6 with troubles.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
New (last years model) Zeb Ultimate for the Mega since it was barely more than getting a replacement CSU for my old Zeb. And new alloy UDH hanger because Nukeproof finally made one and the shitty OG plastic one bent too easily and made shifty feel like cheese.

Oh yeah and new spoke in the rear Deemax cos an old one broke all of a sudden when I was riding along peacefully minding my own business and totally not rear wheel casing the log on the lip of a lander whatsoever.