Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So you either have a pretty good doppelganger here, or you sold me something different than what you had advertised. ;)

View attachment 159834
well fuck me in the ozarks. you have a much better memory than i do.

i had completely forgotten about that one, as I never used it because it was 36 hole.

i guess i've reached the stage where i've been doing this so long i just completely forgot.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
new/old toy foreshadowing.

That Zinger kit is cool. I'd love to be able to throw my old 20T Boone Ti cog on my HT occasionally for some SS action versus gears, but I have an XD driver on there now. I hadn't seen that XD SS kits were out in the wild. SB One has a cool looking XD DH SS kit too.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
That Zinger kit is cool. I'd love to be able to throw my old 20T Boone Ti cog on my HT occasionally for some SS action versus gears, but I have an XD driver on there now. I hadn't seen that XD SS kits were out in the wild. SB One has a cool looking XD DH SS kit too.
Yeah I went to throw my old surly spacer kit on the wheel and went 'Wait, that's not going to work' so I scrambled and found the zinger. Much more expensive than the old days of just tossing spacers on and locking them down. One thing to note is that you can't use any old cog anymore either, I had to use a problem solver specific for the zinger. That's a bummer, lots of cool old cogs out there, esp the Boone you mentioned. I didn't realize SB had a kit, I should have noticed that when looking for the tensioner.

The tensioner is an SB One, such a hassle getting that thing from Germany right now. Took forever.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

Thanks to @SuboptimusPrime and @mtg for scoring me some hard to find Smash stays so I can now make my already beat up rear rim super sad. Added a secondhand Ohlins TTX which felt like a nice improvement over the previous Fox DPX2, and overall the bike was fucking dumb fast. Will get a proper thrashing next week in the East Coast Rox™...Thankfully will be very close to I9 in case the rear rim spits the bit.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack

Thanks to @SuboptimusPrime and @mtg for scoring me some hard to find Smash stays so I can now make my already beat up rear rim super sad. Added a secondhand Ohlins TTX which felt like a nice improvement over the previous Fox DPX2, and overall the bike was fucking dumb fast. Will get a proper thrashing next week in the East Coast Rox™...Thankfully will be very close to I9 in case the rear rim spits the bit.
Hell yeah @jackalope! No better way to hale a momentous trip around the sun than to build up a rig sure to make you do even dumber stuff than usual! Look forward to seeing that thing in action.
:cheers:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I think you need a Gnarvana for riding on a road like that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
got the new DH34's mounted, but for the life of me couldn't get cush core installed. I'll chalk it up t being a new tire that's a low-ish volume and very stiff casing. mounted the tires up without CC no problem. aired them up to try and break them in some. they held air overnight without any sealant.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
got the new DH34's mounted, but for the life of me couldn't get cush core installed. I'll chalk it up t being a new tire that's a low-ish volume and very stiff casing. mounted the tires up without CC no problem. aired them up to try and break them in some. they held air overnight without any sealant.
Have you tried tire lube for mounting tight tires? It has been a game changer for me.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Have you tried tire lube for mounting tight tires? I has been a game changer for me.
i have not, but i have used soapy water previously to mount CC with good results. i also haven't ruled out heating the tires up - either letting them sit out in the sun a while, or using a hair dryer. i have a heat gun but that might be a bit much.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I installed the oneup dropper I got for my fat bike last winter on my real bike last night. First ride today was a great success. The only creaky part left on my bike is my fork CSU...

Also went back to two clamps for shifter and brakes. Much better.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Is that a carbon rear end? Pretty sure that's not allowed.
I know right! No parentz no rulez?
I wanted to try and have some chassis flex for grip and comfort but avoid side loading forces on bearings and trunion mounted shock. The rear end is incredibly light too so.... unsprung weight theory yadda yadda. I’m just playing with ideas and I want to try tings nao.

wellll what are the specs on it?
Mullet with a 170mm fork or full 27 with a 180mm fork.
180mm f&r travel. Adjustable down from 160mm to 200mm.
345mm bb height with a 180mm 29er fork mullet.
62 to 63* ha
465mm reach
78* virtual seat tube angle 70* actual
30%, 35% & 40% progressive settings. When reducing shock stroke I like to increase progression to get a nice feeling curve that doesn’t become too linear by simple reducing stroke. I went super progressive so I can run very firm shocks but maintain some sensitivity off the top.