Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Just get the handlebar dampener thingies that go in the ends.
Ahhh, just fill your handlebar with my patented “Damper Control Lotion”.
Soon to be available in QBP after my Kickstarter campaign.
Different viscosities for XC, Downcountry, Trail, Enduro, DH, and Gravel, demand the BEST!

I’m going to call it “Lotion Control”. TM

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Grabbed a ohlins ttx22m to give a shot and a couple shims with some input from them to retune and mess with.
Pretty excited to give it a shot, work on em and love the simplicity of service...besides gives me a good reason to use vacuum bleed machine
View attachment 174861

Serviced one last weekView attachment 174862View attachment 174863View attachment 174864
Definitely interested to see what you do and how it works out. Possible to bleed without a vac machine?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Definitely interested to see what you do and how it works out. Possible to bleed without a vac machine?
It is but a major pain in the @$$...I did the glove and syringe after on top vaccum pressure to see...the issue is there's several spots for air to hide in reservoir, around rubber bladder,twin tubes and damper assembly...lower part is easy to get...straight forward...it's just the reservoir and head assembly that is the issue..

(I can get ccdb, fox, rockshox marzocchi and dvo bled via little varying techniques manually...the ohlins would require a dunk tank to be thorough..)

If you have a dunk tank to submerge it and cycle it then yes, you can rotate and allow the bubbles to move, messy but effective...got a buddy who does that...
On vacuum I cycle shaft and twist duals,then on pressure same routine ..I actually held vacuum for a few minutes and then pressure cycled it and got several more bubbles..small but that's why I messed with it...

I will mess with them when I service them to see what manual process works...ohlins says machine period..he said there's alot of hiding spots .he's right...but we are tinkerer's and we find a way...

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That’s just moar damping.

Yeah I’ve bled fox with immersion bleed. Not fun, but possible.
Yeah the ohlins is harder than any fox as far as air pockets...I did the circus song and dance on it and it took longer less results...but you would be able too with that for sure...I wanted to see if jake was full of crap at ohlins ...lol nope he wasn't ..

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah the ohlins is harder than any fox as far as air pockets...I did the circus song and dance on it and it took longer less results...but you would be able too with that for sure...I wanted to see if jake was full of crap at ohlins ...lol nope he wasn't ..
How come you don’t use your vacuum bleeder?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How come you don’t use your vacuum bleeder?
I do but I prefer 2 ways to do things, so minimize excuses should pump or system have an issue...

I did lol..but after I had a "watch this" and struggled for a moment lol...

No for real I had planned on using it BUT I wanted to try manual first to see and try to overcome the know issues with hide and seek bubbles...I think it's better to first hand have knowledge...there are ways so it's not impossible or as hard as I was lead to believe...it is difficult yes but there is a way...and I won't forget how and where to adjust it to get the little bastards out ...

Besides I already knew my vacuum would do it so I just wanted to see for myself and try I had nothing to lose..m

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I thought we talk about the Spitty?
The spitty could be an option too actually. I was set on a 29er since I have an extra fork lying around but I could put a 27.5 wheel in it and call it a day. My GF will definitely not be upset by the unconventional offset. Lol

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I do but I prefer 2 ways to do things, so minimize excuses should pump or system have an issue...

I did lol..but after I had a "watch this" and struggled for a moment lol...

No for real I had planned on using it BUT I wanted to try manual first to see and try to overcome the know issues with hide and seek bubbles...I think it's better to first hand have knowledge...there are ways so it's not impossible or as hard as I was lead to believe...it is difficult yes but there is a way...and I won't forget how and where to adjust it to get the little bastards out ...

Besides I already knew my vacuum would do it so I just wanted to see for myself and try I had nothing to lose..m
Ok cool. Makes sense.

What are your tricks on the Ohlins shock bleeds, if you don’t mind sharing?

I have one on my bench that I can’t figure out. It has a strange knock when changing directions that I can’t figure out. I have had it completely apart 3 times and changed everything I could. Bled it 6 times and she still has a fuggin knock…. It’s ok because it’s my brother’s shock and he is in full bachelor snowboard bum life for now. So, I got time to figure it out.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ok can't imagine what's knocking...I do know it acts weird if it doesn't have 175psi in nitrogen...I played with less to see and there's a difference. It needs 175 to act right.

I did the glove bled like fox, shift circuits open and closed, moved it around while pushing a rubber glove covering body opening like a plunger. Tape glove to it double glove up. It will circulate alot of the crap out of the circuit and reservoir.
fill to top drop piston and seal head In put circlip in to hold it...
flip it up right open bleed port make sure no air is there, if there is fill it...put screw back in rotate it around in different positions guiding any air to main chamber to access bleed port. Cycle shaft.
open port and do it again...if you have a bigger 100ml syringe modify needle to go in and allow tip to seal against rubber.

fill syringe first and then back and forth it...several times.
pull it out put finger over the hole cycle shaft a few times repeat while covering port with finger to seal....

i did this took a fair bit but I clamped it up depressed it and cycles it...no squish...but acted ODD...added nitrogen 175 psi and it totally acted normal.

id be curious as to what the clunk is, I can't see what it would be unless bladder cap is pulling in and pushing back.
I'll look at the one on the bench, I can't see what would do that.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The spitty could be an option too actually. I was set on a 29er since I have an extra fork lying around but I could put a 27.5 wheel in it and call it a day. My GF will definitely not be upset by the unconventional offset. Lol
Mullet?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
it might lift the front a bit too much. The frame is designed for a fork between 140 and 160. A 140 29 fork with a 27.5 wheel would yield a similar ride height as a 160 27.5 wheel / fork combo if I am not misstaken
You could get creative with the different dropout options they offer to get the geo where you want it to be. 26" dropouts would balance it more but results in a higher BB.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Try charging it. If you haven't...
I’ll give it another go. I can’t imagine why it would knock but your idea of not enough bladder pressure could be it. I never put 175 in one of these. They recommend a lot lower, right?

I did change the bladder but maybe Im missing something and it is leaking. I’ll have a look. I need some clear hose on the vacuum bleeder like you got there! Yeah, they are so simple so I don’t know why I have a knock. I’ll figure it out. This might be the oldest one we have and my new ones are real nice.

What kind of tune did you go for? I think you might like these shocks for your weight and riding style. You should be able to run more compression without the kicking and harshness that comes with running firmer compression on lots of other shocks.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I’ll give it another go. I can’t imagine why it would knock but your idea of not enough bladder pressure could be it. I never put 175 in one of these. They recommend a lot lower, right?

I did change the bladder but maybe Im missing something and it is leaking. I’ll have a look. I need some clear hose on the vacuum bleeder like you got there! Yeah, they are so simple so I don’t know why I have a knock. I’ll figure it out. This might be the oldest one we have and my new ones are real nice.

What kind of tune did you go for? I think you might like these shocks for your weight and riding style. You should be able to run more compression without the kicking and harshness that comes with running firmer compression on lots of other shocks.
It's pretty stock at the moment as far as tune I have a stack and we went over some different options....I figured being they are familiar with flow and Any synergistic situations I'm their deaign...maybe the tuning would be better to get from them for a baseline and some ideas and I can tweak it when I know what effect other areas.

Yeah ohlins is 175psi in bladder...I know when I set mine lower while messing with it it was odd, as soon as I took it to 175 it worked fine ..I can't see how it would effect it but I cycled it and only variable was more psi...

I'm hoping it acts similar to my avalanche, that woodie and avy cart in 40 is so balanced now that back and front help each other out in the nasty...

Tune wise I wanted more of a flutter stack style , assist in low speed hits but back it's self up on high speed chatter...then I can open it up on low and really plow.. the other is more mid speed platform for stability on steep rutted/rocky berm type stuff...

Clear hose is awesome you get to watch the fizz....lol...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
It's pretty stock at the moment as far as tune I have a stack and we went over some different options....I figured being they are familiar with flow and Any synergistic situations I'm their deaign...maybe the tuning would be better to get from them for a baseline and some ideas and I can tweak it when I know what effect other areas.

Yeah ohlins is 175psi in bladder...I know when I set mine lower while messing with it it was odd, as soon as I took it to 175 it worked fine ..I can't see how it would effect it but I cycled it and only variable was more psi...

I'm hoping it acts similar to my avalanche, that woodie and avy cart in 40 is so balanced now that back and front help each other out in the nasty...

Tune wise I wanted more of a flutter stack style , assist in low speed hits but back it's self up on high speed chatter...then I can open it up on low and really plow.. the other is more mid speed platform for stability on steep rutted/rocky berm type stuff...

Clear hose is awesome you get to watch the fizz....lol...
Ok cool. Thanks! I’ll try 175. Are you using their 2.5wt oil? I think that was what I put in my bleeder recently…. I bet you could get it running similar to a Woodie but you’ll have to tune it. There are a lot of different feeling shocks out there even though they are all yellow.

Do you have access to Ohlins World? There are a lot of tunes on there.

I’m enjoying the Ö38 a lot. She was feeling real good yesterday.

4A6C7961-E26F-4B6A-9E25-9220B0C298A3.jpeg

Getting them ready for the day.
EA1709DA-5221-4B2D-8471-44D3159175A6.jpeg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah I have access to tunes etc...I am going to get a couple stack options ontop of what I have already...

Be curious to see if yours is better.with higher psi

Rockshox2.5 is 10 CST @40 ohlins is 11 cst @40 so either will work...
I have both i threw rockshox in cause it was loaded on machine...

Lite spring came in today so going to dial bike I'm with ttx

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Yeah I have access to tunes etc...I am going to get a couple stack options ontop of what I have already...

Be curious to see if yours is better.with higher psi

Rockshox2.5 is 10 CST @40 ohlins is 11 cst @40 so either will work...
I have both i threw rockshox in cause it was loaded on machine...

Lite spring came in today so going to dial bike I'm with ttx
I will try higher psi. Thanks.

Currently, I put in more than the recommended pressure into the DHX2 thinking it makes the oil last a little longer before topping out. It seems to add a few weeks but, I don’t want to pretend that I know what I am doing here though. Grain of salt and stuff.

The shocks I am really enjoying right now have a C20R20 sticker on them, I think. I’ll double check later. 525-571lbs spring rates. The lsr is fast (high spring rates?) but they are really nice for going faster than I am able to and the compression is plenty firm but still rideable with everything closed. What spring rate did you go for? This is for the M9 or Soccom?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
#571 lite
I will try higher psi. Thanks.

Currently, I put in more than the recommended pressure into the DHX2 thinking it makes the oil last a little longer before topping out. It seems to add a few weeks but, I don’t want to pretend that I know what I am doing here though. Grain of salt and stuff.

The shocks I am really enjoying right now have a C20R20 sticker on them, I think. I’ll double check later. 525-571lbs spring rates. The lsr is fast (high spring rates?) but they are really nice for going faster than I am able to and the compression is plenty firm but still rideable with everything closed. What spring rate did you go for? This is for the M9 or Soccom?
First off LOVE your truck...get that out there again right away lol
The pile.of home made bikes by you is awesome too

..#571 lite
I will play with oil weight first if I don't like the damping a bit then reshim when needed...

Leaving avalanche on the m9 and doing ohlins on one of the 951s...there's a new boxxer supposed to be released shortly...so I think I'm going to throw new boxxer and RockShox rear on one, the other will be ohlins front and rear and race bike is avalanche front and rear...

Waiting for new 38 ohlins fork it's changeable to 200mm...

Last edited: