Quantcast

New Diablo trailmap

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen

Looks like the new diablo trailmap is live. Couple of interesting things to note:

1. The new Outlaw trail branches off grrenhorn but doubles back to the tempest side of the mountain. Very interesting and makes the trail much longer than I originally thought it'd be. I have no idea what the terrain looks like over there either, should be interesting.

2. Domboo is now called "lower greenhorn" and covers a lot more ground now. My guess is it's going to rejoin alpine over by where the "cheese wedges" used to be. I'm curious to see what else they've done to change it.

Still no word on what, if anything, has been done to recreate Crap Chute. Really curious to see what happens there.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Trails are for kids. I just drive 2 and a half hours to bomb down the fire roads.

Anyways, I hope they do have some bigger stuff this year. Covenant drop was cool last year. But they took out that step up too.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so many trail names. i just refer to them as "that one over there" or "the one behind/after that other one"

this weekend should be interesting. ill be there sunday depending on weather. if its gonna rain, then ill be there saturday

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Having had a season pass at Diablo for the last two seasons, I can say it's a ton of fun, especially when it's dry. In the wet, though, I'd rather be at Platty, hands down.

Last summer was terrible in that regard. We'd have sunny skies all week and then rain on the weekends. That was painful. If this summer ends up like that I'll be making quite a few trips up to Plattekill.

Jun 15, 2008
Syracuse, NY
hope all the riders enjoy opening weekend!!! i am hoping to be there in a few weeks for the first of many trips.. I am getting married this weekend, so May 1 is not an option..i was hoping to honeymoon at Diablo with my girlfriend (transition blindside).:D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Its not bad at all. Only 1.5-2 hour drive from NYC. Could be taller and steeper but not bad for being this close.
Where you hiding? Takes me 1hr max from door to lift! UPTOWN BAYBE!

BEEEEP!

And H2S is correct, this place is a dangerzone in the wet; I still do it from time to time, but WOW! Platte, I think I turn harder in the wet, dig in to the shale and slop!!

BICYCLE!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I miss the location of the old shop. Kept all the bicycle activities in one location and you didn't have to worry as much about leaving your bike laying around over there. Oh well. The new shop is much nicer. I don't know that that really means much to me, though. When you're usually covered in mud or dust by the end of the day, having a more "luxurious" shop seems a bit unnecessary.

Then again, what do I know? I'm no businessman.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Friday, April 30, 2010
Trail Update: Flume Drop lives!
2:18 AM | Posted by VISIT RIDEDIABLO.COM

Flume drop returns!* The classic Flume drop has been tweaked from its original meager and mild stature and is now perched nearly 10feet above its new landing.*

Be sure to scope this line out before attempting... it has changed a lot since you last hit this feature!

More features coming soon!
0 comments
Trail Update: Tempest / IndyCross/ Pipeline
2:07 AM | Posted by VISIT RIDEDIABLO.COM

Tempest, Pipeline and Indycross trails have been revamped and buffed-out. In addition we have added to the end of Tempest what we are calling the "Tombstone" kicker (pictured 2nd).

The end of Pipeline has received a new, substantial roller-double. Pipeline is designed for riders that enjoy steep, poppy kickers and it will be necessary to nail the entire Pipeline section in order to maintain speed for the final double. Definitely scope this out before attempting!
0 comments
Trail Update: Lower Greenhorn
1:57 AM | Posted by VISIT RIDEDIABLO.COM

We've spent the last week rerouting what was the former 'domboo' trail.* The trail has been extensively rerouted and was designed to complete a more forgiving 'easiest way down'. This newly revamped section is now called Lower Greenhorn and it is a great way for novice level riders to become familiar with riding tame rock gardens, switchbaks and mellow wooden bridges.

This newly revamped Greenhorn top-to-bottom line is geared for novice riders so please make sure they have the right of way at all times!

Greenhorn or bust!
0 comments
Trail Update: The Jack
1:49 AM | Posted by VISIT RIDEDIABLO.COM

Some quick photos from the new mid-trail reroute of 'the Jack'.* We have improved the overall flow and have eliminated the unnecessary ski trail traverse.* Also, the Jack can now be accessed by its new entrance near the top of the gondola!
0 comments

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I feel like I've only ridden about 1/4 of the trails there after seeing that map. I should have picked one up all those times instead of following the main arteries down.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
Get some of the locals to show you all the trails and some of the alternative ways down.
The first season I rode at Diablo I would literally STUDY the trailmap during the week when I was at work, mapping out routes and trying to figure out where all the trails were and what I wanted to ride that weekend. Of course, I only know the stuff that's on the map

Spylab did a great job with that map. He should be official mapmaker for all bike parks, haha.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
Saturday looks not so good...90 degrees, sunny, with very light winds.
Sunday looks like a chance... hit or miss tstorms (especially towards the evening), a bit more wind, and not as sunny.

Sunday is the better:)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
With rain, lots of trails tend to close, and many of the ones that are open turn the skill level up to max.

Not sayin dont, just that its a different ball game. I may go both days, but def Sat over Sun.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
so many trail names. i just refer to them as "that one over there" or "the one behind/after that other one"
I agree. Seems like i'm going to miss Domboo this year, they really toned that trail down. Was definately a favorite.:(

Last edited:

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
Outlaw was far more fun than i expected. Definitely liking the trail additions.

Have to say though, there were a few trails that werent prepped yet. Almost killed myself going over a downed branch in Frog Pond. All good though, its the beginning of the season.

Looking forward to the first race next weekend. Weather looks good.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
You're the first person I've encountered in real life or the internet that likes Domboo at all, let alone considers it a "favorite", haha.
Narrow, switchbacks, steep chute, tight berms, yet pretty flowy at speed except after that bridge they built before Test of Metal.:thumb: Now after riding what they did to it today... not a fan, but it's definately geared to the beginners now.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
other than setting myself up too far inside at the turn and getting too far outside on the drop of Tempest (twice), today was pretty damn good and it was great being up there on an actual DH bike.

Some of the new stuff isnt finished and definitely needs to be ridden more to burn it in. The lower greenhorn trail is not fun at all; we did it once, likely wont do it again this season.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
other than setting myself up too far inside at the turn and getting too far outside on the drop of Tempest (twice), today was pretty damn good and it was great being up there on an actual DH bike.

Some of the new stuff isnt finished and definitely needs to be ridden more to burn it in. The lower greenhorn trail is not fun at all; we did it once, likely wont do it again this season.
Easy trails are good for warm up. When in Whistler I always do a couple of B-line runs to warm up. Also easy trails can be fun for no pedal racing with your buddies like the do the chain less races in Whistler. Also fun at the end of the day when your arms are ready to fall off.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
New pipeline double is pity, was able to get over it once clean, using all the energy and boost i had, same is to be said for the outlaw double (although i feel that will b ok when it gets burned in. Overall i thought the new stuff was beneficial to the park, i didnt like all of it, but i think as far as the park is concerned, they were all great ideas.

isabbisr

Monkey
Aug 9, 2002
NJ

DomHorn was awesome, it definitely wasn't designed to rip, but you can definitely rip some of the turns.