Quantcast

Monkeys in Switzerland?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Went to check out, buckoW’s address in hand (thanks!) and then they only take money orders? What is this, 1960?

I think I will drop this idea now.

View attachment 189476View attachment 189477
That’s typical. Bank transfer isn’t a money order. Most bills are paid here with a transfer. The IBAN thing seems to be a lot easier but doesn’t exist in the US? The US banks use the BIC/SWIFT system I think which is not as fast and easy.

It is a different world here. Everything is different than in the US. Lots of places only accept cash.

I get stuff sent to my house without paying up front all the time. It is crazy. They trust you to pay later. It’s just different.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That’s typical. Bank transfer isn’t a money order. Most bills are paid here with a transfer. The IBAN thing seems to be a lot easier but doesn’t exist in the US? The US banks use the BIC/SWIFT system I think which is not as fast and easy.

It is a different world here. Everything is different than in the US. Lots of places only accept cash.

I get stuff sent to my house without paying up front all the time. It is crazy. They trust you to pay later. It’s just different.
Well, if somehow it shows up then I must figure out how to pay later via this foreign system let me know. :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well, if somehow it shows up then I must figure out how to pay later via this foreign system let me know. :D
Get Revolut. I use it for transfers all the time. The best exchange rate and super quick transfer. I will send you and invitation for the app. You just need the iban to pay them and it's super easy. Let me know if you need help.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Lots of places only accept cash.
That sounds more like Germany then Switzerland. I mean in my time in Switzerland I paid pretty much everything only with credit card, although I was mostly working in the german and italian part of the big plus.

Also, fuck german restaurants, where they think you have to pay business dinners for ten people in cash!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
That sounds more like Germany then Switzerland. I mean in my time in Switzerland I paid pretty much everything only with credit card, although I was mostly working in the german and italian part of the big plus.

Also, fuck german restaurants, where they think you have to pay business dinners for ten people in cash!
Yeah, I’m in the Valais and don’t come down from the mountains unless I have too. I should have mentioned that part.

Revolut is also a popular option around me but I don’t have it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Get Revolut. I use it for transfers all the time. The best exchange rate and super quick transfer. I will send you and invitation for the app. You just need the iban to pay them and it's super easy. Let me know if you need help.
Just read up on Revolut. Sounds like a horrible company.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
in what way?
Their balance sheet for one. This is not a real company.
And the controversies section of their wikipedia page. I’ve had some personal experience with freezing accounts/money and other roadblocks around suspected laundering. It f’ing sucks and I have no patience for that. Whoever the f they were looking for… well, they got the wrong guy.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Their balance sheet for one. This is not a real company.
And the controversies section of their wikipedia page. I’ve had some personal experience with freezing accounts/money and other roadblocks around suspected laundering. It f’ing sucks and I have no patience for that. Whoever the f they were looking for… well, they got the wrong guy.
Fair enough but for a one time transfer to buy bindings I think it's a good solution and I have used it over the last 4 years without problems. If you look at other sites they get good customer reviews? Glassdoor that is referred to in the article I am not crazy about. I am not saying there could no be some truth to some of it but just trying to say the wikipedia article is a little weak to make a judgement of what bank to choose for international transfers. If you look at what normal bank charge you to send a wire and the exchange rate they give you I am not sure they are much better.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Fair enough but for a one time transfer to buy bindings I think it's a good solution and I have used it over the last 4 years without problems. If you look at other sites they get good customer reviews? Glassdoor that is referred to in the article I am not crazy about. I am not saying there could no be some truth to some of it but just trying to say the wikipedia article is a little weak to make a judgement of what bank to choose for international transfers. If you look at what normal bank charge you to send a wire and the exchange rate they give you I am not sure they are much better.
Right, fair points. The auto freezing accounts thing is what gets me. From my 5 minute reading I said it “sounds like”… I have no personal experience with them. Glad you’ve had a good experience so far.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
In Euroland I actually found that bank transfers and paying for stuff was very easy once I figured out how the system worked.

My biggest complaint was how fucking hard it was to close my bank accounts when I moved back Freedumland.

Eta - Toshi, as mentioned earlier go to your bank with that info. That is a pretty standard bank transfer. In fact, my credit union has an online form for it. It’s buried 20 clicks deep, but it’s there. Shocking to be sure, but people transfer money back and forth to Euroland all the time….

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
‘tis a $35 fee, then dealing with getting Bucko to ship them, plus they have 130 mm brakes that’d need to be swapped.

So all in all a bit too much effort for a color scheme. Colorway? Curated color palette?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
‘tis a $35 fee, then dealing with getting Bucko to ship them, plus they have 130 mm brakes that’d need to be swapped.

So all in all a bit too much effort for a color scheme. Colorway? Curated color palette?
not to mention the collected mental energy and attention of those in this thread ;)