Quantcast

$$$%%%~~~Mehunday~~~%%%$$$

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Damn near punted my MIL today. Talking with Wifey about a keto licorice recipe I found and mentioned that it has anise in it. She interjected into our conversation correcting my pronunciation.

I pronounce it ann-niece - which is how most of Europe and the Empire countries pronounce it. I learned to say it from an English woman - my stepmom. I have many words and phrases that I pronounce British because of that. It the second or third time she's corrected how I pronounce something, usually a plant or cooking related item, because I learned it with a British person.

I had to go to bed early because I find it so fucking insulting. You know a decent amount of my periphery vocabulary I learned from my mom and because of that I learned to pronounce it that way. I still slip and say schedule British sometimes too, which she commented on the other day as well. God I can't wait until she moves into her house.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Damn near punted my MIL today. Talking with Wifey about a keto licorice recipe I found and mentioned that it has anise in it. She interjected into our conversation correcting my pronunciation.

I pronounce it ann-niece - which is how most of Europe and the Empire countries pronounce it. I learned to say it from an English woman - my stepmom. I have many words and phrases that I pronounce British because of that. It the second or third time she's corrected how I pronounce something, usually a plant or cooking related item, because I learned it with a British person.

I had to go to bed early because I find it so fucking insulting. You know a decent amount of my periphery vocabulary I learned from my mom and because of that I learned to pronounce it that way. I still slip and say schedule British sometimes too, which she commented on the other day as well. God I can't wait until she moves into her house.
You should try living in a foreign country and learn their language. You'd be corrected for the rest of your life. Just ignore it, life's too short.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Says the dentist with a yeti
Unemployed dentist, thankyouverymuch.

I asked if I could buy wifey a new bike this spring, she wants a new deck.
heh
Just don’t leave her new deck unprotected.

TWO yetis!!!

Technically (actually) three... the new(ish) 150, the SB5.5 I’m trying to sell, and a 4X bike I’ll never sell.

I pronounce it ann-niece - which is how most of Europe and the Empire countries pronounce it.
Huh. That’s how I always thought it was pronounced, and I don’t have any British people in my life. MIL sounds like a cunt.

EDIT: except @6thElement of course. Sorry, John. My bad.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Powder day... WTF? :think:

Being in the gondola trumped all else. Chance to warm up and melt the crap off my goggle lenses. And those were fun with untracked powder! I also didn't feel like waiting in any lift lines, and cutting to the front of the gondola line with Premier each time was just fine with me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
and cutting to the front of the gondola line with Premier each time was just fine with me.
I didn't know about this program. So, pay moar and cut lift lines, and get the first gondy?

:rant: grumblegrumblegrumble

edit: did you ever make it over to Black Bear glades?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I didn't know about this program. So, pay moar and cut lift lines, and get the first gondy?

:rant: grumblegrumblegrumble

edit: did you ever make it over to Black Bear glades?
30 minute early start meant I had two totally untouched powder runs to start my day, before it was cut up by anyone else. That first run was actually disconcerting--no visual reference on the powder, no visibility in the sky. Skiing by braille!

I didn't make it out to Alpine lift territory yesterday, and I don't think I've done that particular glade before. Just off of the gondola because that was good enough for me.

Paying more also gets me prepaid parking in most of the otherwise-paid lots and a (kind of worthless given their selection) demo day from the Center Village ski shop. It's been highly worth it, IMO.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am betting that the lines at Alpine and Sierra were no joke yesterday. And those would have been quite nice as well. But no lines and diving through powder on terrain S.S. doesn't approve of was enough to amuse this old at heart man. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
While @Toshi was out disco dancing around on blue runs, I was skiing the likes of Corner Chute and North American/Ernie's Run with an *actual* old man (pushing 70). Corner Chute is a hike-to double-black off Highline Ridge and NA/Ernie's is a double-black tree run off Taos' front-side (i.e. 1600 vert of steep-ass trees).

Someone will be along shortly to revoke your Man Card, my good doctor. :disgust:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
While @Toshi was out disco dancing around on blue runs, I was skiing the likes of Corner Chute and North American/Ernie's Run with an *actual* old man (pushing 70). Corner Chute is a hike-to double-black off Highline Ridge and NA/Ernie's is a double-black tree run off Taos' front-side (i.e. 1600 vert of steep-ass trees).

Someone will be along shortly to revoke your Man Card, my good doctor. :disgust:
I was indeed disco dancing. I also only had a few hours to ski in the morning, so to wait in a line for a slow lift wasn't happening.

10 runs in 3 hours, 14800 vert, all powder.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I was indeed disco dancing. I also only had a few hours to ski in the morning, so to wait in a line for a slow lift wasn't happening.

10 runs in 3 hours, 14800 vert, all powder.
Like I said - Man Card revocation paperwork has been submitted. Don't be surprised if someone drops by your office today.

And I guaran-fucking-tee there was no lift line over on A-side. I've seen that ONCE in the last 5 years and it was a few weeks ago on that monster Friday, and it was EXCLUSIVELY due to nothing else being open. That and it has the best pitch for an actual powder day. :D

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Like I said - Man Card revocation paperwork has been submitted. Don't be surprised if someone drops by your office today.

And I guaran-fucking-tee there was no lift line over on A-side. I've seen that ONCE in the last 5 years and it was a few weeks ago on that monster Friday, and it was EXCLUSIVELY due to nothing else being open. That and it has the best pitch for an actual powder day. :D
Ain't nobody got time for slow-ass two person non-detachable lifts from 1950 when it's blowing snow here and there.

The flattish sections in between pitches were annoying, but overall I am 100% ok with my powder morning yesterday, your disapproval taken into account duly.

:D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ain't nobody got time for slow-ass two person non-detachable lifts from 1950 when it's blowing snow here and there.

The flattish sections in between pitches were annoying, but overall I am 100% ok with my powder morning yesterday, your disapproval taken into account duly.

:D
toshi: [settles for mediocrity]