Quantcast

...it's a YouTube extravaganza!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pfft. I've witnessed a few 6 figure CNC fails. How about when a 10 foot diameter ship screw comes loose from its fixture? Less dramatic was an operator that entered the wrong offset an ruined a rocket engine turbine. It was only the size of a dinner plate but was on day 30 of machining.

Pfft. I've witnessed a few 6 figure CNC fails. How about when a 10 foot diameter ship screw comes loose from its fixture? Less dramatic was an operator that entered the wrong offset an ruined a rocket engine turbine. It was only the size of a dinner plate but was on day 30 of machining.
Who needs CNC? Got used to stopping a lathe using collets by kicking it into reverse, then tried that with a four jaw chuck, which unscrewed itself, bounced off the ways, gouging them pretty good, and skittered across the shop floor. Not a moment to be proud of.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Who needs CNC? Got used to stopping a lathe using collets by kicking it into reverse, then tried that with a four jaw chuck, which unscrewed itself, bounced off the ways, gouging them pretty good, and skittered across the shop floor. Not a moment to be proud of.
Lathes always scared me, especially the gigantic vertical kind. Almost every shop I have been to has a story about some huge workpiece coming loose and steamrolling through the factory.

I was in a shop that had some smaller chuck lathes. Heard a loud bang. Part wasn't properly clamped, when it spooled up to about 6000 rpm it let loose. part hit the guard door and ripped it off. All said about a 100 lbs of metal got launched through the shop. Luckily no one was in the way, they would have lost life or limb. That place was a frightening shit hole and the first place I took lock-out seriously.