Quantcast

Is it Saturday? Ya, I think it’s Saturday.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Been looking at gravel bikes :ban:

Don’t think I trust myself to not do sketchy shit on an XC bike, but need a new road bike anyway and kinda want to ride more fire roads around here. This is a stupid idea, right?
I have been riding gravel for the last 5 years and it has been a good alternative to the mtb and you are not fighting cars on the road. However I live in a very flat country so I have to have all the variation options possible.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
What makes you think you won't do dumb stuff on the gravel bike? :D
Can’t fit real tires on a Gravel bike. I need a 90s XC bike that only fits 2.1s, otherwise it will inevitably end up on 2.5” Minions. Tires are a huge mental block for me riding sketchy shit, if the tire aren’t right I bitch put on everything, so skinny tires keep me in check pretty well

Yes, road bikes are stupid.

Why not just put moar applicable tires on a hardtail for gravel ?
I mean, that would make more sense for the dirt but I still ride quite a bit of road, also Gravel bikes are cheap, for some reason decent used XC hardtails are non existent. Not looking to spend $5-12k on a new XC bike

Trails are always better than roads, but we do have some pretty awesome roads and even more awesome fire roads around here. I live right on the end of 1 stage and start of anotherstage of the Amgen Tour of Ca, and my house is dead center of about 250 miles of fire roads that go all over the place.

Realistically I could probably just throw a lighter fork and shock on the Pistola and something other than 2.5” Minions and be fine, but I’ll just end up swapping back to Pistola mode and never touch it again, been down that road before.

Can’t fit real tires on a Gravel bike. I need a 90s XC bike that only fits 2.1s, otherwise it will inevitably end up on 2.5” Minions. Tires are a huge mental block for me riding sketchy shit, if the tire aren’t right I bitch put on everything, so skinny tires keep me in check pretty well

I mean, that would make more sense for the dirt but I still ride quite a bit of road, also Gravel bikes are cheap, for some reason decent used XC hardtails are non existent. Not looking to spend $5-12k on a new XC bike

Trails are always better than roads, but we do have some pretty awesome roads and even more awesome fire roads around here. I live right on the end of 1 stage and start of anotherstage of the Amgen Tour of Ca, and my house is dead center of about 250 miles of fire roads that go all over the place.

Realistically I could probably just throw a lighter fork and shock on the Pistola and something other than 2.5” Minions and be fine, but I’ll just end up swapping back to Pistola mode and never touch it again, been down that road before.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Had a nice nap this morning (after work last night) did a packy run just now. Parents-in-law in town, we're heading to dinner later. One of the brothers-in-law who rides as well. We're going to go in the woods and play bikes together tomorrow.

Meanwhile, having filthy thoughts about a Porpain Hugene frame...

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Slept in and have been preparing for my drive to San Diego. Truck washed, trailer is hooked up and mostly loaded with the sxs and gear. Next month for spring break the family is coming with me for some sand dune action. I hope to get a warm weather ride in while I’m down there.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Felt good to finally get out for a short mellow ride today. Now that things at home are starting to return to normal, hopefully there will be more. Need to really lose some weight and get ready for the trip out west.

The fat bike is a few inches too tall at the handle bars to squeeze into the back of the car, otherwise it'd fit back there with both wheels on no problem.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Rode. Didn't die, so I have that going for me, which is nice. Frikking Revive is sticking at the top of the travel again, perhaps it's the cold temps, not happy about it, not sure what to do about it. :rant: Gotta contact the dude, I guess.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
And tequila
if only. Local bar just showed off a cocktail with tequila, orange liquer, lemon, green chartreuse, and something else. I could go for one of those right now.

Little man has been moved to clear liquids and he's the happiest little nugget right now. Tomorrow will hopefully bring solid food and maybe home, more likely we are facing a monday departure.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
Been looking at gravel bikes :ban:

Don’t think I trust myself to not do sketchy shit on an XC bike, but need a new road bike anyway and kinda want to ride more fire roads around here. This is a stupid idea, right?
I got rid of my road bike 6 years ago. I’ve had a few different gravel bikes, on a Salsa warbird meow. Love it. With the number of dipshits on the road I avoid asphalt like the plague. As John pointed out there are a few options that fit some meats, just depends on your end goal.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Hogs Back looks sweet, would prefer a bit different build spec but not a bad jumping off point.

I need something I can attach a kids tag along too as well for doughnut runs, that could do some double duty towing the small human.
I have been riding the Soma Wolverine's for my gravel riding duties. I have a v2 with a fee thousand miles on it and now a v4 for smashing dirt roads and canal banks. It's a versatile frameset and 2.1 via 650b is the max tire in the rear. I have a 2.25 in the front.

V4

Resized_20230108_160606(1).jpeg

And my v2

Resized_20220514_190215.jpeg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I am a tall human, I am not a roadie, and I don't tuck. I want comfort - I'm friggin riding on dirt roads.

@sunringlerider - I dumped out my spacer box and realized the opportunity for ridiculousness was at hand. Gravel bikes deserve to be ridiculous!

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Do you need some riser bars?

View attachment 189604
I've looked at the dirt drop setups - they look pretty badass. This was cheaper and available. I went through a few stem lengths and landed on this.

1676837592406.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sure about that?

JFC

Positive.

People rode bikes on dirt roads as soon as bikes were invented.

GRINDING is specifically a new activity that you have to buy all new clothes for, a new bike for, and a totally brand new definitely never seen before race format that you need to leave the dental office for, drive 4 hours into the mountains, and then break your fragile bike so you have to buy another one that you can brag about when back in the dental office on mtbr.com