Quantcast

impressed with mallet pedals

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was told about 33 pros switched from other pedals to the Crankbrothers last year. This year 130 pros switched. Among those who switched - Anne Caroline and Cedric Gracia...

For those that don't get it - not only are they some of the best riders out there, but they are also French...

Time is a French company - its a big deal :D

Also Steve Peat and Kirt Voreis are riding them this year...

from: http://www.bikemag.com/freshproduce/seaotter_products/

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
I was told about 33 pros switched from other pedals to the Crankbrothers last year. This year 130 pros switched. Among those who switched - Anne Caroline and Cedric Gracia...

For those that don't get it - not only are they some of the best riders out there, but they are also French...

Then Cedric lent me his pedals and i switched! Make it 130 pros + 1 guy with a pro license.

Peaty is also on mallets btw

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Acadian said:
well that it...that means they are the best ever

*Acadian runs out the door to go buy a set of Mallets*

;)
:D Well he DID win ste anne again on them,..3rd year in a row he has won it on 3 diff courses. Ha, he also crashed so hard his leg turned black and he couldnt party after his win. Andy partied twice as hard to make up for it tho!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Transcend said:
:D Well he DID win ste anne again on them,..3rd year in a row he has won it on 3 diff courses. Ha, he also crashed so hard his leg turned black and he couldnt party after his win. Andy partied twice as hard to make up for it tho!
wow...good thing he was using Mallets!!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
syadasti said:

Also Steve Peat and Kirt Voreis are riding them this year...

from: http://www.bikemag.com/freshproduce/seaotter_products/

and it's just a coincidance that 95% of the guys who switched are on SRAM sponsored teams. . . . . yeah, that surely had nothing to do with using something other than shimano

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
General Lee said:
and it's just a coincidance that 95% of the guys who switched are on SRAM sponsored teams. . . . . yeah, that surely had nothing to do with using something other than shimano
Yeah the point is they choose Crankbrothers over Time though - both non-Shimano. Even better - the French riders choose non-French pedals with a French option available.

Both Time and Crankbrothers (more so) pedals work better in the mud than Shimano - no question about that...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
Yeah the point is they choose Crankbrothers over Time though...
and you got data to back that up.. :rolleyes: ;)

hey I hear Peat drinks lots of Stella...gonna buy me a case and drink plenty of it before going to Whislter next week...Kidwoo, you better be ready to chase some Acadian down the hills! if it makes he fast, should be me fast as too

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Acadian said:

hey I hear Peat drinks lots of Stella...gonna buy me a case and drink plenty of it before going to Whislter next week...Kidwoo, you better be ready to chase some Acadian down the hills! if it makes he fast, should be me fast as too
And the important part is that Peat is English and doesn't drink scotch which is even made with peat and that Stella is french which proves that scotch tape is the superior adhesive, not like Time would know anything about that....geesh, I mean they can't even get the design right from the original crank brothers who have been around for so long that they had to invent mountains so that they could ride their mountain bikes (none of which the americans even use on the pro circuit by the way).

stay out of this luc, I'm trying to find out just how short the bus was that this kid rode to school in

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
I see, Anne Caroline and Cedric Gracia are not French - sorry I must be so stupid - they must be German :stupid:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
I see, Anne Caroline and Cedric Gracia are not French - sorry I must be so stupid - they must be German :stupid:
I was being sarcastic Josh...but I still doubt they "choose" to run Mallets over Times. I'm sure they would be happy with either but I assume the Crank Bro deal/package was more appealing, not the pedal itself.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Acadian said:
I was being sarcastic Josh...but I still doubt they "choose" to run Mallets over Times. I'm sure they would be happy with either but I assume the Crank Bro deal/package was more appealing, not the pedal itself.
Yeah, no doubt, and Cedric rides a Cannondale because they are the best,
not because they pay him. Of course. :stupid:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
I know the Mallets are better though...

I switched to Crankbrothers after being on Times from 97-03 (92-97 - SPD, Onza, Ritchey(wellgo?), and Specialized (wellgo)). I had a few sets of Z (both the silver and black) over the course of a season and have a season and a half on the Mallets. The Mallets are better and kidwoo has a case of cognitive dissonance - needs to get that checked out cause he is only fooling himself ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, no doubt, and Cedric rides a Cannondale because they are the best,
not because they pay him. Of course. :stupid:
I don't see Crankbrothers as one of their official sponsors :confused: Bryn was interested in mine and I wasn't offering him any money or pushing them, he just saw them on my bike and asked...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
syadasti said:
I don't see Crankbrothers as one of their official sponsors :confused: Bryn was interested in mine and I wasn't offering him any money or pushing them, he just saw them on my bike and asked...
OK, I'll bite.
For all I know they may be better.
So I ask this seriously, what did you like better about the CB's over the Time Z's.
The reason that I ask is because I can't find any faults with the Times.
I just stomp on them and go.
The day I bought the Z's, I actually held both the Z and CB pedal in my hand, and I bought the Times for 2 reasons. One, because the pedal is more narrow which means I will hit it on less stuff, and two, because I had used Time in the past on my trail bike, and they worked perfect.
So, I just went with what I knew.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Jeremy R said:
OK, I'll bite.
So I ask this seriously, what did you like better about the CB's over the Time Z's.
The day I bought the Z's, I actually held both the Z and CB pedal in my hand, and I bought the Times for 2 reasons. One, because the pedal is more narrow which means I will hit it on less stuff, and two, because I had used Time in the past on my trail bike, and they worked perfect.
I'll also add to this...

Lately I've been reading more XC/trail oriented mags since I'm kindda getting into that a bit more nowadays - there's been lots of pedal reviews lately and times seem to get better ratings than CB.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jeremy R said:
OK, I'll bite.
CB has been stronger in my experience (haven't broken one yet while I did break one of my Z with a minor hit - didn't even notice it until the end of the run when I unclipped). CB is cheaper. CB is easier to get rebuild parts. CB has better customer service. CB has replaceable armor plates instead of grinding/chipping front of pedal. CB has shaped/forged mechanism wings - Time didn't have those until this year and they aren't on the Zs. CB you can click in from more directions. Mud cleaning/clearance is better on CB. I prefer the platform shape on the CB - seems more stable unclipped - one of the few platforms that doesn't feel like crap when you aren't unclipped - I don't know if its the profile or the armor plate, but it does feel better...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
I'll also add to this...

Lately I've been reading more XC/trail oriented mags since I'm kindda getting into that a bit more nowadays - there's been lots of pedal reviews lately and times seem to get better ratings than CB.
We aren't riding XC are we? The newer Times have a new body shape and forged wings like the CB (they look like they actually improved upon the CB forging idea). I would say the tolerances/quality on the new Time XC pedals definately look better than the CB.

I don't think I would ever buy the naked/non-platform CB. The CB candy - maybe for a trail bike for some people, but I have no idea how they compare to the new time XC pedals. Personally I run the Mallet C on all my bikes except for my HT with woodman platform pedals.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
syadasti said:
CB has been stronger in my experience (haven't broken one yet while I did break one of my Z with a minor hit - didn't even notice it until the end of the run when I unclipped). CB is cheaper. CB is easier to get rebuild parts. CB has better customer service. CB has replaceable armor plates instead of grinding/chipping front of pedal. CB has shaped/forged mechanism wings - Time didn't have those until this year and they aren't on the Zs. CB you can click in from more directions. Mud cleaning/clearance is better on CB. I prefer the platform shape on the CB - seems more stable unclipped - one of the few platforms that doesn't feel like crap when you aren't unclipped - I don't know if its the profile or the armor plate, but it does feel better...

CB will cook you breakfast. CB will hold your hand. CB will spoon on the couch during sportscenter. CB will walk the dog without being asked. CB will not complain when you don't shave for four days. CB always chips in with gas money. CB doesn't want shotgun. CB will offer the last piece of cake to you. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I had CB and couldn't not unclip consistently until I was on the ground. For this reason I have gone back to Shimano due to less float and variable spring tension.

edit: I also twisted the sh!t out of my ankle and have been is therapy for it

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Tame Ape said:
I had CB and couldn't not unclip consistently until I was on the ground. For this reason I have gone back to Shimano due to less float and variable spring tension.
Your cleat area on your shoe was no good (interference problems). If you actually read the directions, they tell you you'll have those problems if the cleat area isn't big enough or is too deep and thats why they give you the shims. I have all the shims they include on my northwaves and they don't engage very well (I also had issues on my Zs with them). My Shimano hiker style shoes work perfect. Hematomas would be a good choice - they have shorter tread and a nice cleat area - I think they are designed with platform clipless in mind.

I bet if I didn't bother to read recommendations and put a 888 on a 5-spot, it wouldn't work very well - gee, the 5-spot must suck :blah:

Hmm, I don't recall but aren't you Ethan? You do a good job crashing on your own, no need to blame your pedals or lack of reading comprehension :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
On my shimano Carbon's I dremelled the sole + use the shims and like you're northwaves they still are hard to clip in! I really wonder why that is since there is no threads or extra material to interfere?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Acadian said:
On my shimano Carbon's I dremelled the sole + use the shims and like you're northwaves they still are hard to clip in! I really wonder why that is since there is no threads or extra material to interfere?
Most likely tread on the side are too deep (where the platform rests) - you have to push down hard to get clipped-in.

For release issues - treads aren't level - cleat misaligns when you step in and makes it harder to clip out...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
syadasti said:
Your cleat area on your shoe was no good (interference problems). If you actually read the directions, they tell you you'll have those problems if the cleat area isn't big enough or is too deep and thats why they give you the shims. I have all the shims they include on my northwaves and they don't engage very well (I also had issues on my Zs with them). My Shimano hiker style shoes work perfect. Hematomas would be a good choice - they have shorter tread high and a nice cleat area - I think they are designed with platform clipless in mind.

I bet if I didn't bother to read recommendations and put a 888 on a 5-spot, it wouldn't work very well - gee, the 5-spot must suck :blah:

Hmm, I don't recall but aren't you Ethan? You do a good job crashing on your own, no need to blame your pedals or lack of reading comprehension :D
It had something to do with the sole of the shoe. I'll grant you that. But, 15 degrees of float had me a 45 degree angle by the time my foot came loose. When I'm tipped like that, its not hard to roll an ankle harshly.

Josh, I would hardly blame reading comprehension for a product that I did not like. I could not consistently clip in because the binding keeps friggin' rotating and and 'feel' is different every time.

I did not like the product. I will not like the product simply because you are unrelenting in your support. I am glad you introduce CB to Bryn, I 'm sure that since CB's HQ is in Vernon Ridge, NJ he never would have seen them otherwise. :blah:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Tame Ape said:
It had something to do with the sole of the shoe. I'll grant you that...

Josh, I would hardly blame reading comprehension for a product that I did not like. I could not consistently clip in because the binding keeps friggin' rotating and and 'feel' is different every time.
You know its from the sole of the shoe. If you read the instructions it would tell you not all shoes work well their pedals. Sorry about the reading problems...

Thats about as dumb as saying a fork maker sucks cause the fork isn't setup perfectly for your weight out of the box - you have to get the right springs and make sure it setup right...

I did not like the product. I will not like the product simply because you are unrelenting in your support. I am glad you introduce CB to Bryn, I 'm sure that since CB's HQ is in Vernon Ridge, NJ he never would have seen them otherwise. :blah:
CB's HQ is not in NJ and never was at any period of time. I believe they are in Laguna Beach, CA ATM...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here it is from the FAQ:

hard to clip in or out of?

shoe interference is the likely problem. are your shoes new? even if they're not brand new, this could still be the issue. Some shoes have a tread that is higher than average which can cause interference with the pedal. please try to click in your shoes when you're not wearing them and see if it appears there is excessive contact between the tread and the pedal. if this is the case, then you can do one of two things:

a) use the shims. these are provided in the package: thin, black plastic pieces that are the same shape as the cleats. the shims go between the shoe and the cleat. this makes the cleat raise out farther from the sole, making it easier to clip into the pedal. the mallet c comes with 2 shims for each cleat. try using both shims under the cleat.

b) slightly trim the shoe tread (in the contact area only) using a sharp knife or a sanding wheel. please be careful and only go a little at a time. the tread should make contact with the pedal, but not so much that the tread is compressed (which causes difficulty clicking in).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you don't like the float with Times and CB pedals you can rotate them (one orientation gives more float than the other) or grind them with a Dremel. Speedgoat even sells grinded CB or time cleats for those who don't like the extra float...

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
syadasti said:
CB's HQ is not in NJ and never was at any period of time. I believe they are in Laguna Beach, CA ATM...
:durrrr: ;)

syadasti said:
Sorry about the reading problems...

Thats about as dumb as saying a fork maker sucks cause the fork isn't setup perfectly for your weight out of the box - you have to get the right springs and make sure it setup right...
:heart: :heart: :heart:

edit: RM is slow for me. It is making it slower to tease to you...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Tame Ape said:
edit: RM is slow for me. It is making it slower to tease to you...
Riding with you is torture enough...

Ant and I were glad we weren't killed riding back from the last ride. Who would even think riding with someone too slow could threaten their lives :mumble:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
In my opinion, all this talk about the huge differences between all these pedals is bunk. They all work, and they all have very minor differences that anybody who is not a total spaz could get use to in 10 minutes.
I ride SPD 959's on my trail bike and Time Z's on my DH bike. You can hop back and forth between the two without even thinking about it.
I'd say the only real difference worth mentioning is the Times clear mud better and I am sure the CB's do too.
I just ride whatever I have until it breaks and then replace it with the same thing if it worked well, or with something else if it did not.
I would like a pair of those new Times for my 5-spot, but just can't justify it right now.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Acadian said:

I almost killed myself in the garage the first time I clipped into my Eggbeaters with my brand new Pearl Izumi's on. I lost my balance and felt into the work bench and almost hit my head on the bench vise cause I couldn't get out of the pedals. :nope: :stupid:

From then on when I first get a new pair of shoes, I put on the cleats and clip into what ever pedal i'm going to use, then take my shoe off and leave it clipped in. Then wiggle the shoe on the pedal and see what's rubbing... then dremel the sh*t out of whatever is.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Jeremy R said:
In my opinion, all this talk about the huge differences between all these pedals is bunk. They all work, and they all have very minor differences that anybody who is not a total spaz could get use to in 10 minutes.
That's true of most biking products these days - its hard to buy a suspension design that sucks - they all work pretty good these days. There is still a difference and there is still one company that is better than another...

Mud clearance is important, especially in the NE. Float is important for people with knee problems. One will be stronger than the other - if you are heavy/break things often etc - that is important (customer service and parts, rebuilding is also important in this case). Bushing/bearing setups on Times/CB/shimano is generally not as good as high-end BMX style platform. Price does make a difference to most people...

I agree, it wasn't too difficult for me to switch from one brand of pedals to the other over the years. The only pedal that sucked major ass was the onza clipless with the rubber springs