Quantcast

I need a new motorcycle

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Which of these two would you choose? Both are Ducatis, as that's all I really like, and spring is coming, so its time to pick something new...

First is a 2007 Monster S2R 1000.

Specs read like this:
2007 Ducati Monster S2R1000. 2-valve, air cooled, dry clutch, dual spark, 1000 cc motor. 7,xxx miles.

It has a few aftermarket parts:
Ex-Box exhaust (goes under the bike)
Fast by Ferracci Airbox kit and filter
O2 sensor modulators
Power Commander
clip ons
fender eliminator
LED brake light with integrated turn signals
shortie signals in the front
clip-ons (with instrument cluster/headlight lowered)
bar-end mirrors, open clutch cover (with nicer pressure plate, springs, and retainers)
Nichols lightweight flywheel
geared down one tooth with a new front sprocket
carbon fiber (CF) front fender, CF belt covers, CF chain guards, CF heel guards
frame sliders
It's in Norfolk, VA, so I'd have to get it shipped out to me, which adds another $800 or so to the price tag. Has 7,000 or so miles.

Second option is this guy:

2005 Ducati S4R 1000. Has the same engine as the 998.
The owner wants $7900, but it only has 3500 miles and is really custom.
Specs read:
-Ducati Superbike front end (front forks, brakes, ect...)
-Race ECU (Tuneable)
-Floating Front Brake Disks
-PVM Magnesium Wheels
-Dual Headlights
-Custom Stainless Brake Lines
-Single Mirror
-Carbon Fiber Belt Covers
-Custom CNC'D Clutch Cover
-New Clutch
-Quat D Exhaust
-DID Chain
-Everything Powdercoated
-K&N Filter
-Chopped Tail
-Custom Pegs with revised riding position
-GP Shifting
-Racing Slicks

So if you were me, would you go with the cool but kinda plain S2R which is air cooled, or do you go with the Storm Trooper S4R for a little more money?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The headlights on the second one suck, I ran them on my FZ1. The first bike is the way to go.

The Dominator lights look cool, but aren't functional. Even after I increased the bulb output, they still didn't show much at night.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
White frame and wheels? What the heck was that guy thinking? I like the specs on the S4R, but the S2R just looks right.

sossei

Chimp
May 22, 2002
Vegas Baby!
Depends on where you live, the aircooled would suck if you lived say in Phoenix. The S4 would be the better of the two, just have to un-gay it some.....if you could find a 07 S4 it would be better they have the Testrastretta engines in them.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm moving to PHX or NOLA in August, so the liquid cooled is an idea I can't ignore.

I like the white one a lot. I know, I'm a tool.
Mind you it needs a few changes, like the head lights and a few other parts, but it does come with a lot of what I would have done to the bike, like the racing forks.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ducati's are best done in Red or Yellow. White bikes look awful IMO, not to mention a bitch to keep clean unless you don't intend on riding it. Since it's parked in his living room, I can assume he doesn't.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm starting to wonder about the white one. The guy sent me some close up photos of the bike, and it looks like some really random things on the bike are damaged, like the clamp for the clip on looks broken.

Check these out, I can't make perfect sense of what's wrong here.
The cluster is held on by zip ties....

Is it my monitor or is there a crack in the clutch cover?

Is this a broken clip on?

Then he just sent me this. A little worried he hasn't fired the beast in 6 months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T98ZzwGQpA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T98ZzwGQpA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The S2R is looking better and better...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm starting to wonder about the white one. The guy sent me some close up photos of the bike, and it looks like some really random things on the bike are damaged, like the clamp for the clip on looks broken.

Check these out, I can't make perfect sense of what's wrong here.
The cluster is held on by zip ties....
Yellow zip ties, at that. WTF is wrong with people.

My guess is he bought it wrecked but not reported so the title is clean. Front end damage morphed into hokey street fighter. I'm telling you, those Dominator lights suck ass at night. I couldn't see more than 30 feet in from of me and that aint enough at 100mph.